> Just one more solo thread. Honest.
fischsemmel
post Jan 20 2019, 12:14 PM
Post #1

Vagabond

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

Most of the thread is at least light spoilers, if not heavy spoilers!

Well after trying to level a legacy mage with my solo osiri... I mean, I should have seen it coming. Leveling a legacy character is kinda boring. Despite wanting to pile up more blessings and find a few items I've never seen and stuff with my osiri still, I think that duo is on a back burner now.

Yesterday I started a good human, who will likely end up being like every guild, and I'm aiming at no deaths. So while it took me 2 months to "win" with the solo osiri, it'll be longer for this guy both because I need to play safer and because playing safer can get boring so I'll likely not play as often.

I tried a few different races and stat combos. Gnome? Better stats than human of course, though the resist is meaningless. Longer life doesn't seem relevant when a death ends my game. No warrior kinda was turning me off. Elf poor con and no warrior also turned me off, and again their resists and age aren't useful. We already have a solo morloch around! So I figured "human it is!"

I started 2 or 3 before I settled on a stats to get me into scavenger right from the beginning, and I'd only need a few tomes to be able to cast charm of opening. I slowly hacked my way through dungeon level 1 with both nomad and scavenger up to about 20, aging a few years along the way and not worrying about ideal leveling path at all. I believe I was just under 2 hours in when I cast my first charm of opening.

Since then I've been hoarding partially-identified tomes in my bank. I spent most of my gold and liquidated some tomes to realign my two might tomes so I could join warrior, which is now in the upper teens. I've explored into most of level 1, but not explored any rooms I don't have to yet since pits are nasty and I don't have any seeker levels yet... laugh.gif. Half my runs end up with me running back to town after 2 rooms because I get poisoned or am out of mana from casting a charm or two, haha.

But I think I'll enjoy this, even though I'm quite annoyed that it wasn't ideal in any way to go after mage early on even though that's the whole reason I'm playing this guy really. It's just too demanding on stats to both join mage guild and also have the stats required to cast minor heal or any charms above charm animal. Plus mage won't help me get down onto level 2... so once I farm more tomes and get warrior and scavenger up some more, I'll probably add seeker AND sorcerer to the mix before mage. But oh well. I'm thinking by the time I go much lower than 3-4, I'll be making heavy use of companions in an effort to avoid any surprise deaths to mythicals or instadeath groups.

Scavenger for my thief should be... interesting. Mage for my healing should be... interesting. I'll most definitely be running back and forth to town more often than I cared to with my osiri, but at the moment at least, I still think it will be fun to try something that's not neutral and that I can't die with!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 20 2019, 02:04 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 20 2019, 03:59 PM
Post #2

Vagabond

Adding only 7 levels of sorcerer to my 25 nomad, 25 warrior, 25 scavenger made a bigger difference than I thought it would. To try to keep my age low (just incase I die and want to keep playing as a minimal-death solo run), I only melee single monsters who are weak. If I see 2+ monsters or margoyles/orcs/tengu/etc, I use shock or poison or blue flame as needed to end the fight without getting beat on. This has kept me able to clear a decent amount of 1 (like 1/4) per trip while still returning to town with most of my hits.

I'll probably bump sorcerer to 11 or 13 later today after being productive IRL. I still can't cast any defensive spells, so I won't be leaving dungeon level 1, but the cheaper and better nukes will help me zip through 1 until I assemble the tomes I need to join my other guilds and start casting the essential buffs.

I've been a bit slow moving really, I think. I've had more evil tomes than good, and though I've found 3 warhammers, all 3 were evil so I just sold them instead of trying to save several million to realign.

I haven't gotten any bonus hits yet, and actually nomad led the way until now. I'll do warrior to 28 and nomad to 30, and depending on where I am with my interest and my other guilds I may do 30-41 as wizard with con maxed. But really it's only going to give me another 25 guild levels of hits, and I can't be in any sort of rush to push deeper (especially on certain floors), so no optimal leveling path seems like a non-issue really.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 20 2019, 10:38 PM
Post #3

Fighter

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 20 2019, 07:14 AM) *
Scavenger for my thief should be... interesting. Mage for my healing should be... interesting. I'll most definitely be running back and forth to town more often than I cared to with my osiri, but at the moment at least, I still think it will be fun to try something that's not neutral and that I can't die with!

With my morloch, I'm finding that healing is not a big problem so far. I play fairly conservatively, so he's usually not taking any more damage than he can heal with his leftover spell points at the end of the run. I use charges from healing items when necessary, but I'm finding healing items faster than I use them. The exception is when I try to maintain companions. Healing them burns up my spell points quickly.

I'm finding that a Scavenger blows traps a lot more than a Thief. He also burns through spell points quickly, except when he is wearing the Crest of the Scavenger. The cost of COO will come down as he advances, but I'm afraid his disarming ability will always be subpar.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 20 2019, 11:38 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

How old and what levels is your morloch at now?

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 21 2019, 12:50 AM
Post #5

Fighter

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 20 2019, 06:38 PM) *
How old and what levels is your morloch at now?

He's still age 16. Scavenger 91, Nomad 85, Warrior 75, Mage 55, Sorcerer 55. My current goal is to get to 91 in all guilds other than Nomad. Among other things, that will get him an extra swing from Warrior and minimize the cost of resistance spells from Sorcerer. I'm currently working on Warrior. After he gets the extra swing, he will be a terror with Cross of Commanding! I'm expecting the Mage and Sorc levels to fly by!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 21 2019, 01:40 AM
Post #6

Vagabond

QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 20 2019, 07:50 PM) *
He's still age 16

Good Lord. I was 21 at not even half your levels. I had gotten mage, was quested for a namama and was leveling sorcerer as I waited to find one, when I (somewhat unsurprisingly) died to the stupid green slime on 2 (from full hits to dead) like my osiri did. I forgot to cast resist paralysis as I ran down towards slavers when all indigini rooms on 1 were waiting on respawn. laugh.gif

I'll likely try again with the same character idea, just not tonight smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jan 21 2019, 06:07 AM
Post #7

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

If memory serves, eventually Scavenger just bites. But I'd be interested to see if one can beat the game without a Thief.

No deaths is going to be even harder. I've made it to 12 without dying... maybe 13?... but never braved a deeper run than that.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 21 2019, 12:36 PM
Post #8

Vagabond

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jan 21 2019, 01:07 AM) *
If memory serves, eventually Scavenger just bites. But I'd be interested to see if one can beat the game without a Thief.

No deaths is going to be even harder. I've made it to 12 without dying... maybe 13?... but never braved a deeper run than that.

I feel like thief is just a convenience (albeit a bit one). The help file says thieves have a thieving mod of 9, with scavengers at 7.5. And since the trap formulas don't do anything like the damage formula where the 1.2 warrior vs .9 seeker is actually a lot bigger difference than it sounds since the values get squared, basically if you're like 30% more scavenger levels than thief it should be similar except for COO cost right?

And being human largely offsets the extra exp needs compared to osiri/dwarf/gnome.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 21 2019, 04:26 PM
Post #9

Fighter

My strategy for using stats efficiently results in keeping my age low. I maxed Aelric's con before making level, but not his other stats. Whenever his age would increase to 17, he would down a Potion of Youth (reducing his con by 1) and chase with an Aard, which would raise all his stats, including con. Since his stats were maxed, I have nearly always healed him fully before returning to town (I think I forgot twice).

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2019 - 10:10 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits