Nidge
post Oct 26 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,770
referrer:Through the internet

Hey guys,
Just wondering something, Both myself and my mate have the full version of the game. I was thinking of a way to play it over the internet so that our maps, general store, characters and so on are both merged on 1 version of the game that we can both use. Anyone have any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Oct 27 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #2

Infiltrator

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 3,954
referrer:i'm a DIEHARD FAN!!

You may have the full version, but is it a legal version?

Furthermore, this game is stil owned by Decklin, and distribution of such would be illegal, and very uncool.

Merging files together is a whole new ball game, and very difficult. I'm sure theres an editor for that.

Maps can never be shared, as far as I remember. Sorry about that.

Characters can be shared easier, with editors.

Basically, online distribution, or playing online would require the coding to be converted from C++ to HTML. Very impossible.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
http://macjams.com/artist/rb10c - my music site!
mordor, my favourite game EVER!!

QUOTE (rb10c @ Feb 14 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?

+Quote Post
aardless
post Oct 28 2011, 08:22 AM
Post #3

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

You can play together on Mordor 2, at least on the 0.992 version. You'd have to recode stuff in M1 to do that, not impossible to achieve, but certainly not easy either.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Nidge
post Nov 8 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #4

Apprentice

Thanks for the info,
was wondering if it was possible, looks like it isn't

+Quote Post
Shane349
post Dec 20 2011, 05:56 AM
Post #5

Student

Member No.: 6,787
referrer:google

You may be able to have one version of the game that you and your friend can both access by using some sort of file sharing or online storage. You would keep the files stored somewhere where you can both access. I was able to get the same game to work on two different computers usings a network, so my brother and I could both play. However, we could not both play at the same time, and you two would not be able to either. You would have to use an editor to put one person's characters into the other version.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Dec 20 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #6

Ehr, that's actually a brilliant idea! I haven't thought it through completely, but it shouldn't be too hard to make a macro that updates your file with the other players stats each time you get back to town (that way you could both play the game concurrently). I don't know how to access another computer with the macro language I use, but I might take a look at this once current projects are finished.

Edit: hmm, that would mean levelling a little faster actually if both players play with the two characters at the same time.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

+Quote Post
Shane349
post Dec 21 2011, 02:52 AM
Post #7

Student

So you think it is possible to allow two people to play mordor from two different computers at the same time? I was able to set up a network with Windows network and sharing center so that two computers could access the folder that Mordor is in. However, if both computers tried to play at once it would say that only one instance of Mordor is allowed at a time.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Dec 21 2011, 11:01 AM
Post #8

It's not really playing Mordor at the same time: you play on your side and your friend plays on his, with each player using their own install. Then when you reach the town, the script would quit the game, copy his party (or hopefully just his player) to your file, and relaunch the game. So your characters would be re-sync-ed each time you get back to town. If his character is rocked on your game but not on his, then you get him unrocked for free, etc. (and vice-versa...! evil.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nidge
post Dec 21 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #9

Apprentice

yeah, when I originally posted the idea, it wasn't going to be a case of both playing the same characters, probably be 2 seperate groups of characters.
What I was really after was the shared store and map data, I suppose the trick would be updating the game if both people we're online together.

+Quote Post
Shane349
post Dec 21 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #10

Student

QUOTE (aardless @ Dec 21 2011, 05:01 AM) *
It's not really playing Mordor at the same time: you play on your side and your friend plays on his, with each player using their own install. Then when you reach the town, the script would quit the game, copy his party (or hopefully just his player) to your file, and relaunch the game. So your characters would be re-sync-ed each time you get back to town. If his character is rocked on your game but not on his, then you get him unrocked for free, etc. (and vice-versa...! evil.gif)

So you would share the same character file (mdata4), right? You could potentially have two separate Mordor games and data files, but share the store and dungeon file if you could get Mordor to look in some sort of shared folder to find those files. I do not know how to make Mordor look into a different spots to find the dungeon and store file though. I also have no idea how to get the sync thing to work.

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Dec 22 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #11

Infiltrator

You can't (iirc) use the run the same character simultaneously from the same mdata4.

However, a solution would be to use <drumroll>..... Multiple mdata4's.

What you can do is have mdata4A, and mdata4B and dynamically rename them and unrenaming them by means of macro.

Hope this idea works.

--------------------

Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?

+Quote Post
Shane349
post Dec 23 2011, 02:45 AM
Post #12

Student

Sounds like a good idea. I just don't know how to run/use macros.

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Dec 24 2011, 11:08 AM
Post #13

Infiltrator

I think you should let someone else do that bit, it's not easy for a non-techie. I would know, all I can do is create a button activated number generator. Maybe it'll be a christmas present...

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th August 2019 - 08:22 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits