Macrophage
post Aug 17 2013, 08:37 AM
Post #1

Student

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 409
referrer:Luck

Hello all,
I installed Dos Box and Win 3.1. and most of the library files and when I attempt to load Mordor I get the message "invalid file format" and the game stops.
Would anyone be kind enough to provide me any help?
Thank you by advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aardless
post Aug 25 2013, 10:03 AM
Post #2

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Hmm, I don't know for sure, honestly, but I think DosBox is 16 bit only? Did you try the compatibility mode (I believe a window should have popped up on its own suggesting various things to try)?
If all else fails try installing Virtual Box, I made a tutorial here: http://dejenol.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4660

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
garceaj
post Sep 17 2013, 01:18 PM
Post #3

Wanderer

Member No.: 1,999
referrer:Google Search

This post sort of answers a question I didn't know I had. I can't say I've heard of Virtual Box before. For games on my Win7 X64, I use Windows XP Mode. Which is a free version of XP for running legacy programs using Virtual PC. I found some details about how to do that on Al Lowe's Humor Site http://www.allowe.com/downloads/games.html. It runs other roguelikes as well, Castle of the Winds for instance, and Mordor 2. I can guess then that Virtual Box must be an open source version, which could be preferable, but after reading this post I'm sure either one will work. Thanks for the tip!

Once you get one of these working, you just need to make sure that a couple of the files are placed in the proper location(s). One is wavemix.ini, and the other is wavmix16.dll. The game told me the first needs to be placed in the Windows folder, and the other to be placed in the Windows/System folder. Then, you might need to reboot the windows system for the game to find those files, but that may or may not be necessary for it to work. The XP mode is pretty simple, just download and install, and it has XP already configured and set up, but you can probably find a tutorial on how to tweak the settings to your liking, somewhere. Hopefully this is also a little bit helpful for those who will be looking here in the future, like myself.

Edit: For better clarity.

This post has been edited by garceaj: Sep 17 2013, 01:20 PM

--------------------
Blunk: Blunk be prince. People: worship Blunk!
Irma: There's no Prince in the play.
Taranee: But we do need another dragon, right?
Blunk: Knew real dragon once. Wanted egg back; bit uncle's butt off. Never the same.
W.I.T.C.H.: Ambush at Torus Filney (Air Date: March 5, 2005)

+Quote Post
garceaj
post Sep 17 2013, 01:26 PM
Post #4

Wanderer

Member No.: 1,999
referrer:Google Search

QUOTE (aardless @ Aug 25 2013, 03:03 AM) *
Hmm, I don't know for sure, honestly, but I think DosBox is 16 bit only? Did you try the compatibility mode (I believe a window should have popped up on its own suggesting various things to try)?
If all else fails try installing Virtual Box, I made a tutorial here: http://dejenol.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=4660

That is correct, it is typically 16 bit only. I have been struggling to get the CD version of Super Solvers: Outnumbered to work, and failed even running the 16-bit installation. Maybe because the newer version didn't use DOS in the same way that the floppy disk used DOS. But that's another story.

--------------------
Blunk: Blunk be prince. People: worship Blunk!
Irma: There's no Prince in the play.
Taranee: But we do need another dragon, right?
Blunk: Knew real dragon once. Wanted egg back; bit uncle's butt off. Never the same.
W.I.T.C.H.: Ambush at Torus Filney (Air Date: March 5, 2005)

+Quote Post
aardless
post Oct 6 2013, 03:28 PM
Post #5

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Oh yes, VirtualPC could be seen as the Microsoft version of Virtual Box (or the other way around: VirtualBox being the open source equivalent to VirtualPC :-P ). If you have Virtual PC installed with a version of XP, which, IIRC is included only in the Pro/Business versions of 64 bit Windows, do use that, I find it's very good for starting out with virtualisation.
The message about wavemix.ini and wavmix16.dll is shown by Mordor 1, whenever it is run, it doesn't depend on virtualisation. Glad you got it to work!

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Macrophage
post Sep 18 2016, 08:01 AM
Post #6

Student

QUOTE (Macrophage @ Aug 17 2013, 08:37 AM) *
Hello all,
I installed Dos Box and Win 3.1. and most of the library files and when I attempt to load Mordor I get the message "invalid file format" and the game stops.
Would anyone be kind enough to provide me any help?
Thank you by advance.

Thanks to those who tried to help.
I am now running windows XP via virtualbox and still get this message. I ve read it comes from invalid versions of all the .vbx and .dll files you need to install; unfortunately the link provided on this forum is now broken.

+Quote Post
Macrophage
post Sep 18 2016, 08:08 AM
Post #7

Student

QUOTE (Macrophage @ Sep 18 2016, 08:01 AM) *
Thanks to those who tried to help.
I am now running windows XP via virtualbox and still get this message. I ve read it comes from invalid versions of all the .vbx and .dll files you need to install; unfortunately the link provided on this forum is now broken.

So after installing the beta, the full game now works correctly.

+Quote Post
Macrophage
post Sep 18 2016, 08:13 AM
Post #8

Student

QUOTE (Macrophage @ Sep 18 2016, 08:08 AM) *
So after installing the beta, the full game now works correctly.

Well I thought it worked, but when I enter the dungeon, I get a message: "subscript out of range" and it crashes

+Quote Post
Macrophage
post Sep 18 2016, 08:30 AM
Post #9

Student

QUOTE (Macrophage @ Sep 18 2016, 08:13 AM) *
Well I thought it worked, but when I enter the dungeon, I get a message: "subscript out of range" and it crashes

ok now it works. I had to move the directory from the emulated network directory

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 06:10 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits