IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A Fresh Party or "a mod should probably condense my gameplay threads into one"
MythrilZenith
post Oct 3 2019, 08:52 PM
Post #61

Fighter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Oct 3 2019, 08:44 AM) *
I'll do a video later today of my usual run!

.... and here's the video: https://youtu.be/uN7e96UOQ8U

I got some nice upgrades along the way. That cloak WAS a cloak of enchantment! And I found a dragon's blood (I think I have 2 banked now, or maybe 3). And the hand protection was white flame gauntlets. My guys are up to 401, 410, 414, and 419 defense now!

I put the video up on my youtube channel where I've mostly got videos of me playing Project 1999, a classic everquest emulator. I'm curious if any of the folks who follow me on there because they love a quirky, old-ass version of an ancient MMO will also be interested in a quirkly, ancient dungeon crawler.

Thanks a lot, man! Wow, 785 subs haha - I've still got a long way to go before even hitting that number.
Sounds like the game rewarded your efforts with some pretty good loot.
Constant blackout traps looked like a real pain, even for your full-classed thief.

You talked about Spectral Dragons dropping something good - I think it was the Helm of Brilliance? They can also drop blood, so I usually take them out even if I'm low on SP and need to use an item charge.

I DEFINITELY can't follow your entire route in a single trip as a solo character. I'd run out of SP after doing the path through 13 laugh.gif. But it's still good to get a feel for an efficient way to get through floor 14. I've gotten in the habit of just dashing to 15, but with how much 14 can still drop for me this might be a better use of my time.

You mentioned the wiki maps are wrong - does that include the stud room in 14? (just south of the anti-magic room in the center ring). I noticed you didn't even have it mapped.

A fair bit of displacement and ethereal portal, though not all that much now that I think about it. There's certainly some level of efficiency that could be gained from it, but honestly I'm with you on being scared of using displacement. One bad-beat story of getting the wrong facing or coordinates and getting rocked will totally mess with your willingness to use the spell ever again laugh.gif

The piecemeal map you have also got under my skin a bit, but eh diablo.gif I'm also a bit obsessive about making the dungeon maps look complete, so even if I never go there again I always find myself exploring every square, to the point of casting Detect Rock on every single tile I know is rock that I can reach. It helps me when I open a bad teleport trap and find myself somewhere I've never been before, but it's probably unnecessary.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Oct 3 2019, 08:56 PM

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roland
post Oct 3 2019, 10:12 PM
Post #62

Mentor

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Oct 3 2019, 10:44 AM) *
I got some nice upgrades along the way. That cloak WAS a cloak of enchantment! And I found a dragon's blood (I think I have 2 banked now, or maybe 3). And the hand protection was white flame gauntlets. My guys are up to 401, 410, 414, and 419 defense now!

Thanks for the Pariah route demonstration. And congrats on the CoE and WFG! Neither of those items has ever appeared in my dungeon. (By way of comparison, I've found more than 15 DBs and 2 Blessings.)

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Oct 3 2019, 10:50 PM
Post #63

Soldier

Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Oct 3 2019, 04:52 PM) *
Thanks a lot, man! Wow, 785 subs haha - I've still got a long way to go before even hitting that number.
Sounds like the game rewarded your efforts with some pretty good loot.
Constant blackout traps looked like a real pain, even for your full-classed thief.

You talked about Spectral Dragons dropping something good - I think it was the Helm of Brilliance? They can also drop blood, so I usually take them out even if I'm low on SP and need to use an item charge.

I DEFINITELY can't follow your entire route in a single trip as a solo character. I'd run out of SP after doing the path through 13 laugh.gif. But it's still good to get a feel for an efficient way to get through floor 14. I've gotten in the habit of just dashing to 15, but with how much 14 can still drop for me this might be a better use of my time.

You mentioned the wiki maps are wrong - does that include the stud room in 14? (just south of the anti-magic room in the center ring). I noticed you didn't even have it mapped.

A fair bit of displacement and ethereal portal, though not all that much now that I think about it. There's certainly some level of efficiency that could be gained from it, but honestly I'm with you on being scared of using displacement. One bad-beat story of getting the wrong facing or coordinates and getting rocked will totally mess with your willingness to use the spell ever again laugh.gif

The piecemeal map you have also got under my skin a bit, but eh diablo.gif I'm also a bit obsessive about making the dungeon maps look complete, so even if I never go there again I always find myself exploring every square, to the point of casting Detect Rock on every single tile I know is rock that I can reach. It helps me when I open a bad teleport trap and find myself somewhere I've never been before, but it's probably unnecessary.

785 subs? Well, I mean, I was a pretty big deal in the emulated EverQuest streaming community... Hahaha laugh.gif

The 12-15 pariah maps on the wiki don't seem to highlight the stud room in the center of 14. They're mostly accurate ime though. My maps are so piecemeal cause I can hardly hit all the stuff I prioritize before it respawns, let alone explore every book and cranny! But I'll get there eventually smile.gif

Detect rock almost annoys me, hah. Im so used to grey patches instead of white that detected rocks throw me off.

QUOTE (Roland @ Oct 3 2019, 06:12 PM) *
Thanks for the Pariah route demonstration. And congrats on the CoE and WFG! Neither of those items has ever appeared in my dungeon. (By way of comparison, I've found more than 15 DBs and 2 Blessings.)

Yeah, I was pretty excited about both. I know I've seen them before, but in a full party and 2 solo games before this one, that was a heck of a lot of Mordor.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Oct 4 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #64

Soldier

Dang, I found a second cloak of enchantment this morning! Also my first 2 magenta sashes. And 2 gorgons with a chest... but it was just gold.

Another one of my warriors got quested for a T'Mana, which was annoying, but again, he has already forfeitted and got a couple levels back.

Otherwise it's just been more of the same. I did have one scare a few minutes ago though, when I was certain that the lamurian high priestess chest wasn't trapped, but it turned out to be a teleporter! Fortunately my osirri just got sent to a room I had cleared of gargantuans (11 of them!) earlier. I'm not sure how I would have approached it if he had gotten sent into a devil or demon stud room... probably a return trip to town with my 3 other guys (getting robbed blind by every thief monster they pass, laugh.gif), then clearing my way to the stud room and entering it from the door instead of displacing into it, and going in with big spells buffered but intending to 'a' my wayward thief to join and backing out immediately and hoping I don't lose anyone! I'll have to be more sure of my trap evaluation next time. This fresh party, no-death beating the game thing is still in the works! Haha

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Oct 7 2019, 11:03 PM
Post #65

Soldier

Well, today's Mordor was fairly annoying. I saw 2 more pariahs, but no blessing. I got quested for a dust of locating on my seeker, and I've never even seen one, so I had to forfeit the one guy who needs levels the most right now. And I had my first death.

I was on the phone while playing on 14, and walked into a room that I knew from my previous runthrough had peaced gargantuans in it. I intended to go straight through to the next room. And I did just that. The problem was that the NEXT room now ALSO had gargantuans in it, and between the surprise of that and being on the phone, they got a melee round off before I moved out of the room. And then one of them got a swing when I was on my way out too, which is what killed one of my guys. He wasn't even my guy up front, and he never got hit too hard cause I never saw a "OUCH! Hit for XXX!" message. So he probably got smacked like 4-5 separate times from the 8 gargantuans that were there.

Serves me right for playing on 14 while on the phone I guess. Oh well. I was actually pretty optimistic I'd win this game without a single death, too. I've even been teleporting and displacing more and not had any problems from that! Still, even with my mistake of playing while distracted, that was pretty crap luck to go from 855 hits and 424 defense all the way to dead. Not one of my other 3 guys even got hit.

Anyway. I resurrected the corpse and cleared out the gargantians. I won't give up on my game like it was a real hardcore challenge. I want to keep playing with the full party and see how potent I can get and deal with all the 15 stud room monsters before I move onto something else.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Oct 8 2019, 02:48 AM
Post #66

Fighter

Ooof. That hurts crybaby.gif Sometimes Mordor just loves to target one individual and snipe them out from under the rest of the party. You made it really far without any deaths, though!

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Oct 8 2019, 02:33 PM
Post #67

Soldier

Does the library count up stuff you've seen if you didn't get it correctly IDed before killing it? I'm almost positive I've seen more than 7 pariahs, but that's all my library says.

Yeah. This must be the case. It was in a mythical room on 13 and had the pariah graphic and there was just the 1 monster. It could potentially have been a mostrum or grostrum or whatever, but I checked the library entries for those too and they don't show as being seen today either. In fact, none of the library entries for any of the monsters with that picture show as being seen on level 13 today.

Just another dalyn's laugh to show for my find though. I'm fairly certain that I'm up to about a dozen pariahs now.

The odd melee resolution has been more and more apparent as my guys get higher level in warrior. I actually just fought the goblin shaman + 3 groups of goblin guards and had group 1 and 3 dead, but groups 2 and 4 alive, with no one using companions or spells (and obviously no thief monsters were involved). I'd say in a 40-minute session through 12-15, I'll see at least 2 times when a group that shouldn't be getting attacked is gone but the group above it still has 1+ monsters alive in it.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Oct 8 2019, 02:47 PM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Oct 8 2019, 03:26 PM
Post #68

Soldier

Oh wow, I just saw my first ever black gremlin on any of my playthroughs.

And he didn't even have a chest. not_ok.gif

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Oct 8 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #69

Fighter

Not sure if you have too much damage to tell if a solo unID'ed Mythical has around 500 hp, but that would be the cutoff for a Pariah. Mostrum/Gostrum have around 100-200, and the only other one up there in hits would be the Gorgon, unique to 15 and almost always coming with some Gostrums and Mostrums of its own.

It's still interesting to note when the library picks up on things - if they need to be ID'ed or not. With items it manages to keep track of what dropped it, and with monsters it keeps track of last known location, number found, and first to encounter. I know that you do need to fully ID an item (or sell it to the store if not cursed) for the Library to get the full listing, though I'm not sure what it keeps track of when monsters are concerned, as it knows a ton about monsters that I've never brought to confinement, but sometimes I seem to recall fully ID'ing a monster at confinement and the library didn't get the full details.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Oct 8 2019, 10:44 PM
Post #70

Soldier

Ugh. Getting so close to warrior 324! I doubt I'll get it tonight; I have some work I've been putting off! But tomorrow for sure all 3 of my warriors will have their extra swing and be back in casting guilds. More useful crests and cheaper spells sounds unbelievably awesome after spending a couple weeks without gaining any caster levels.

I don't think my seeker/thief will switch back to thief or healer right away though. He is lagging ay least 50 hits behind the others so I will probably keep him as seeker another few days to try to catch up on hits before he switches guilds.

Saw still another pariah just now, no chest. Someday! At least as my party is able to clear further and further in one trip, I'm seeing more chances for pariahs per day. I made it halfway through 15 a couple times just now before I needed a return trip (since I avoided the tough lamurian lairs).

+Quote Post
Roland
post Oct 9 2019, 12:23 AM
Post #71

Mentor

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Oct 8 2019, 10:33 AM) *
Does the library count up stuff you've seen if you didn't get it correctly IDed before killing it? I'm almost positive I've seen more than 7 pariahs, but that's all my library says.

That's correct - if you do not correctly ID a monster, it is not registered in the library. I've killed Demon Prince three times, but the library only records two of those encounters because I misidentified him once.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Oct 9 2019, 02:10 PM
Post #72

Soldier

Just had my most annoying "oy let's kill this group #2 for no apparent reason instead of group 1 like I'm supposed to" issue now. A daemon lord + 4 harpies in group 2 (and more in groups 3 and 4). Someone killed one of the fucking harpies (instead of hitting the daemon lord, I presume), the daemon lord got to attack, and one of my dudes got aged. Hmph!

All 3 of my guys I'm not targetted on are now in casting guilds and swinging vampire fangs too, so either one of them got a nice sever hit to 1-shot a harpy or more than one of them attacked the wrong thing.

On an unrelated note, I'm really getting sick of getting my seeker quested for T'Manas... mad.gif

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Oct 9 2019, 03:52 PM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Oct 9 2019, 11:29 PM
Post #73

Soldier

Man. I had a day mostly off today, and I played a lot of Mordor. I probably cleared all the mythical rooms from 12-15 5 or 6 times, besides checking on other stuff on 14-15 too and dealing with a few quests. I didn't see 1 pariah, I only found one new upgrade (belt of giant strength) and some spheres and cubes and sashes worth using (I've been using static sashes pretty aggressively with my seeker and still can hardly use all the ones I find, and my sorcerers have a load of spheres and cubes piling up, though I've been using the healing items mostly to reduce my trips to town when I'm down on 15). That plus the T'Mana on my seeker made for a somewhat disappointing day.

I did get a lot of XP though. I think my sorcerers and healer were like 140ish when I finished my warrior grind, but now they're in the 160s. I can feel some difference in their nukes and SP costs already, which is good because I can also feel the difference of vampire fang melee vs. giant king hammer melee... laugh.gif. It's almost not safe to let melee kill minions of death and daemon lords, and I definitely need to use spells to kill a gorgon or two. I think there's a good chance I'll only move my casters up to 200ish before I actually put them all back in warrior again! My osirri is hopefully going to be able to last in seeker until 330ish to get him caught up on hits (he is 100-150 hits lower than my other guys since he is only 280 seeker and only could level in nomad for 1-30), then some healer just to drive down spell costs a little, then a lot of thief. A LOT of thief.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Oct 10 2019, 03:29 PM
Post #74

Fighter

If you ever figure out what's causing this bug, I'd be interested to know more. I was going to ask if this happened on your previous installs or just on this one, but seeing as how your most recent installs were just solo characters that doesn't seem like you'd have that information. I know that I've never had this happen as far as I can remember, so I'm sorry that I'm not much help in diagnosing or solving the problem.

Still, sounds like you've been able to get some good progress! Spellcaster levels are important, and I feel like *especially* higher level spells are important to get to a high level - not only for cost, but also because of their high incremental power making them get more out of raw SL than any other spell (WoD, EF and FtS being most notable with a 51 incremental, the highest incremental power in the game). The difference I've felt in just 30 spell levels of EF (from ~125 to 157) is the difference between almost never killing a single Lamurian Guard in one shot and almost always killing a full pack of Lamurian Guards in one shot.

Melee power is something that I don't notice quite as frequently, but the biggest difference is the regularity in which I fail to kill weaker mobs in one shot. That said, the difference between a Vampire Fang and a GKH is about as large as you can get. I'd say I hope you pick up a Staff of Destruction soon, but then realized that you probably don't have the levels to even use it.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Oct 10 2019, 03:31 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Oct 10 2019, 07:30 PM
Post #75

Soldier

Yeah. Not even close to using a SoD. I've found 2 (or 3 maybe?) cross of requnix, which is probably better for melee damage since it gives crit, but I'm 200 levels from using it. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (4 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 10:20 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits