> Two Solo challenges!
Notafiftyfive
post Apr 25 2007, 12:15 AM
Post #1

Journeyman

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,391
referrer:search :D

Alright well the first one was kinda lame so I dumped it, so here's the second one smile.gif I've added some rules to make it playable without resetting your game, but thats fine if you like to. I've taken out "may not use items", although items that need to be equipped for use still cannot be used.

Solo challenge two!

"Naked and alone" Play as a lone character.. wearing no equipment! Again, kill the highest level boss you can before you died of old age. I suppose the aboleth counts if thats all you can do >.> but given the anti-magic area.. good luck. Your character does start with 1500g only, no giving of gold or items allowed.

If you're not resetting you may not: Buy anything from the from the shop or buy any companions. If you want tomes or potions, you'll need to find em yourself, if you want companions you'll need to charm them.

This post has been edited by Notafiftyfive: Apr 27 2007, 12:32 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Apr 27 2007, 11:30 AM
Post #2

Dungeon Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

Challenge 1: you mean you can simply play the normal game without restrictions except that it has to be a good solo non-legacy character? I bet some people have already finished the game that way. cool.gif No thief or healer is kind of hard, but it can be done.

Challenge 2: that's a fun challenge! ohmy.gifk: A giant with max str/dex could get far, but draining would become a major pain.. and of course he has to kill everything with his bare hands. So the best bet would be a character with high enough starting int/wis to become a sorcerer, I think..

edit On second thought you can't have high enough starting stats to become a sorcerer and be able to cast resist draining, that's a problem. So only natural resistances will help here. Perhaps a dwarf or ogre could do well. Hmm.. also most bosses have weapon resistances so you can't ever kill them with bare hands. So the best way would be a nomad / spellcaster with high natural resistances against stone, drain and paralyze.
Another thought: the best killer spell you can cast with starting stats is what.. leprosy? Poison? This challenge is harder than it seems..

This post has been edited by grobblewobble: Apr 27 2007, 11:39 AM

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
Walky
post Apr 27 2007, 11:40 AM
Post #3

Adventurer

Member No.: 3,321
referrer:Signature of Crasher in Demise Forums

I think dwarf could be good at it too: nice drain resistances to start with.

+Quote Post
Notafiftyfive
post Apr 27 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #4

Journeyman

Hmmm.. well I'm still a newbie and I made the "no-items" part up mainly because I was concerned someone would just save up for one of those ghastly overpowered items found in the lower dungeons, buy it, and blow some boss away. But I forgot, you have to equip any item before using it besides tomes/potions right? I think I'll edit the challenge so one could use items then so long as they are not equipped.

Edit: okay I changed the Original Post smile.gif have fun! I'm gonna try my own challenge just to see if it's too hard, but I think it's entirely possible to kill some lower level bosses before complications arise smile.gif

This post has been edited by Notafiftyfive: Apr 27 2007, 12:35 PM

+Quote Post
Walky
post Apr 27 2007, 12:36 PM
Post #5

Adventurer

Member No.: 3,321
referrer:Signature of Crasher in Demise Forums

Nope. Tomes / Potions can be used without equiping items. Same with scrolls.

+Quote Post
Notafiftyfive
post Apr 27 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #6

Journeyman

ugh scrolls right.. Well the new rules should make it alright smile.gif

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Apr 27 2007, 02:11 PM
Post #7

Dungeon Master

Alright, now it is a completely different challenge, you have to play a "naked mage".. With tome usage allowed the character will be able to cast any spell, including resists..

I guess if these are the rules you don't have to bother opening any chest below level 3, so you can get away with little thiefing skills. Playing will involve lots of running up and down to town because you need to replenish spell points very often (killing monsters with your hands is usually not a good idea). A good / evil nomad/sorcerer/mage would be good at such a challenge, me thinks.

With max stats, soul entrapment and high-powered spells available, all bosses can probably be defeated, but it's going to take ages of (very cautious) levelling. Imo the original challenge (no item usage allowed at all) was more interesting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Notafiftyfive
post Apr 27 2007, 09:47 PM
Post #8

Journeyman

hehe I think I'm going to have to make a new topic by the time we figure out what form the challenge we take shall be biggrin.gif So it seems it would boil down to just being a naked spellcaster then? Here's, actually, exactly the opposite of what I intended at first.. but seems really fun.

restrictions:

Solo

No spells may be cast

No companions may be bought

No weapons or armor maybe equipped, armor being anything above rings on the general store (no boots/cloaks/ etc rings/amulets etc fine)

No gold or items may be transferred to the character

After level 30 in any guild, you may no longer "equip" your hands. You may never leave town "Pinned" unless you cannot pay for your level and have no items in hand or in the bank.

You can:

let a monster join you

Use an equipped item

Use tomes/scrolls/potions

Sell to or buy from the general store (no buying from the confinery but selling is fine)

Edit:of course, the goal is just to beat the highest level boss you can, I don't think its really possible to beat the game given these restrictions (though I think someone could find a way laugh.gif)

This post has been edited by Notafiftyfive: Apr 27 2007, 09:50 PM

+Quote Post
aardless
post Apr 27 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #9

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

But if you can't equip weapons, can't cast spells *and* can't use your hands after level 30, what are you supposed to use? IIRC, there's already a challenge somewhere that forces you to use companions.

I don't see the point of the leaving-town-pinned rule: in a challenge such as this, better to forfeit every quest that's not completed right away.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Notafiftyfive
post Apr 28 2007, 04:04 AM
Post #10

Journeyman

Well one part of challenges that reduce their popularity is that sometimes they increase difficulty without spurring original thought and end up just being boring.

The challenge presented is to survive solely through finding the right monsters to kill and using their items' powers after level 30 and killing the highest boss you can before going broke.

With the allowance for hands.. people would just stay on level one/two with a high A/D killing stuff over and over to gain power. The not leaving town pinned rule is to prevent people forestalling level 30 at level 29 in order to gain more items/gold which also supports level 1 killing grind.

This post has been edited by Notafiftyfive: Apr 28 2007, 04:06 AM

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post May 1 2007, 05:03 PM
Post #11

Dungeon Master

What exactly is the point of this challenge? With so many rules it gets confusing..

If your goal is to have a challenge where it's obvious you can't beat the game, a simple and sufficient rule would be "you can't use any item at all". So you can't use tomes, so you can't max your stats, so you can't cast all the spells.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Requinex_master_...
post May 14 2007, 07:26 AM
Post #12

Student

Member No.: 3,431
referrer:It was many years ago when I found a cool game on the net. It was MORDOR, I have been playing the Shareware version for years and have just got the full version. I looked on the net to see if there were any surviving MORDOR players and here you were!

I would love to participate in this challenge however, what is the point, is there a prize, I don't want to waste precious hours of MORDOR time playing a naked character until death.

--------------------
You know you are addicted to a game when you have dreams about it. I already had 5!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th December 2019 - 02:04 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits