Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Town Stairs
MythrilZenith
post Sep 7 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #21

Fighter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Reminds me something of the original Diablo - Every 4 floors there was a new shortcut to town that would open up.
I definitely would be interested in something like that in a Mordor-type game, but you're right in that there may need to be some changes in the types of objects allowed to institute this type of shortcut system - at least in terms of two-way shortcuts that get unlocked.

An easy trick for a one-way shortcut would be to just have a single-destination teleporter, though at the same time if we're putting shortcuts from the bottom of the dungeon to get all the way back to town it DOES kind of limit some of the enjoyable stress of the game - my clearest Mordor memories are always the ones where I got stranded near the bottom of the dungeon with no SP to teleport out and then had to claw my way back - especially times when I randomly hit a chute or teleporter.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Sep 7 2019, 11:37 PM
Post #22

Vagabond

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (korexus @ Sep 7 2019, 04:29 PM) *
Not Mordor-like at all, but I've been playing Yoku's Island recently, and it has a mechanic for this, which could be easily added (sparingly) to a Mordor clone.

You'll occasionally come across narrow places that are blocked by a boulder, or slanted obstacle. You can't push the blockage through from this side, but it's trivial to do from the other end.

You could imagine a new obstacle symbol on the map, which can be pushed around corridors, but is restricted by doors, and face-direction squares. (for extra fun, they could be removed by pushing them into a pit, possible removing the pit too.) This would allow you to add a puzzle element to the map, and force people to take a certain route on their first visit.

You would need to be careful that people couldn't destroy their dungeon, by getting obstacles stuck in corners that they need to be able to pass through.

Of course, this sort of approach doesn't fit well with a multi-user design. The simplest option there is 'You need a red key to enter this area'.

It would also be quite cool to have secret doors which can only be accessed from one side. - Even after they've been discovered., forcing people to take a different route on the way down and up.

korexus.

Sounds like a Sokoban/Mordor mashup.

This post has been edited by Mordion: Sep 7 2019, 11:37 PM

+Quote Post
korexus
post Sep 8 2019, 08:00 PM
Post #23

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

QUOTE (Mordion @ Sep 8 2019, 12:37 AM) *
Sounds like a Sokoban/Mordor mashup.

Very much so. It could make maps quite interesting, especially if rearranging blocks to get to one area forces you to remove access to another. And it could allow the restrictions to certain areas already mentioned.

I'd play it. It would get gimmicky if over-used though...

korexus.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Sep 8 2019, 08:52 PM
Post #24

Vagabond

QUOTE (korexus @ Sep 8 2019, 04:00 PM) *
Very much so. It could make maps quite interesting, especially if rearranging blocks to get to one area forces you to remove access to another. And it could allow the restrictions to certain areas already mentioned.

I'd play it. It would get gimmicky if over-used though...

korexus.

Back in high school I was designing a MUD/Mordor hybrid and the map was a 3d grid of cubes of material with walls, floors, ceilings in-between. So a water room would actually be a cube of water on the floor below and no floor on the current floor so you fall down. What I thought was the coolest feature was dirt areas that players could tunnel through. I now realize it wouldn't have worked multiplayer because the whole map would eventually be a lattice of tunnels.

I wonder if there's a way to make a game around tunneling out a dungeon from solid rock. Maybe there's a natural explanation for why M1 has such a weird layout.

+Quote Post
korexus
post Sep 8 2019, 09:30 PM
Post #25

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwarf_Fortress ?

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Sep 9 2019, 03:31 AM
Post #26

Vagabond

QUOTE (korexus @ Sep 8 2019, 05:30 PM) *

I was thinking more along the lines of Dungeon Keeper but it would somehow make a Mordor dungeon. Dwarf fortress is too organic looking and expansive.

I keep wondering what kind of economic forces would have caused the Mordor dungeon to be so maze-like. In the real world it would just be a strip mine.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Sep 12 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #27

Fighter

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

QUOTE (Mordion @ Sep 8 2019, 09:31 PM) *
I was thinking more along the lines of Dungeon Keeper but it would somehow make a Mordor dungeon. Dwarf fortress is too organic looking and expansive.

I keep wondering what kind of economic forces would have caused the Mordor dungeon to be so maze-like. In the real world it would just be a strip mine.

I always figured that the upper levels were more structured, more orderly, and that there were probably specific rooms created with different purposes as things went down (being dwarf mines instead of just a human strip-mine, they probably lived down here as well as working). And as you got lower and lower, things got more and more twisted by magic, until by a certain point (I always figured the teleporter between floor 8 and 9) you hit a point where you aren't *really* in the mine anymore, but in a twisted dungeon that took features of the mine and just completely messed with them until you got the chaotic madness that we have today.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 10:26 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits