IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rodrom feedback thread, Thread for requests for feedback on Rodrom related stuff.
Jason
post Jun 6 2019, 12:32 AM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,719
referrer:Google

Thought I'd start a new thread for me to post requests for feedback on various things that come up regarding Rodrom, my new Mordor and MXP remake project.

So, of course I wouldn't start this thread if I didn't have something useful to put in it right away. I've just finished implementing the Fog of the Unknown, i.e. anything you haven't explored yet in the dungeon is not shown yet on the map. What do you guys think? I like it but at the same time I'm not quite sure about it. Not sure how I'd improve it yet though either.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jun 6 2019, 01:22 AM
Post #2

Drifter

I've been thinking about the guilds and feel I want to change things up a little in that regard compared to Mordor. Here's my current working list of guilds:

Adventurers Guild [known as Nomad's Guild in Mordor]
Warriors Guild
Assassins Guild [known as Ninja's Guild in Mordor]
Thieves Guild
Explorers Guild [known as Seeker's Guild in Mordor]
Healers Guild
Hunters Guild
Clerics Brotherhood (male only)
Paladins Templar
Black Knights Order [kind of known as the Villain's Guild in Mordor]
Charmers Sisterhood (female only) [known as the Mage's Guild in Mordor]

This list doesn't include magic based guilds yet, as I still need to think about that more. I've dropped the Scavenger's Guild from Mordor as I don't think it's really needed.

The Adventurers Guild is, like Mordor, the first guild you are automatically an initial member of when you create a new character. They are willing to take everyone in and try to help everyone. It's a jack of all trades kind of guild, useful if you want some skillset but can't join the specialized guild for that for whatever reason.

What do you guys and gals think? I want to try and create more choices and options. Also consider that there could be challenge restrictions. Crashland had two challenge he posted. Suppose in Rodrom you could select a challenge to start and the game would enforce the various rules for that challenge? Like maybe the rules would make only some of the guilds available to join, and you could only join one of them. That could make you consider the guilds a little differently. Maybe you have to play as a certain race, and that would limit your guild choices. Etc. I haven't listed alignment restrictions yet for the guild as that will be ironed out later. I want to try and come up with a complete guild list first.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jun 6 2019, 03:14 AM
Post #3

Soldier

Member No.: 8,408

The Hunters Guild and Clerics Brotherhood are new. Could you describe them?

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jun 6 2019, 02:36 PM
Post #4

Drifter

QUOTE (Roland @ Jun 5 2019, 10:14 PM) *
The Hunters Guild and Clerics Brotherhood are new. Could you describe them?

Sure! First it's good to understand the Warriors Guild and Assassins Guild. They are both fighting oriented Guilds, but Assassins focus more on attack and less on defense, while Warriors focus more on solid defense and being tanks. The Hunters Guild lies kind of in the middle, while also have some abilities in capturing creatures, much like the Mage did in Mordor, or the new Charmer Sisterhood. Perhaps a little explorer thrown in as well would make sense too.

The Clerics Brotherhood had healing spells only slightly less effective than the Healers Guild, some fighting ability but are restricted to blunt weapons, are male only and also restricted to good alignment. They also have spells for dealing with undead, demons and devils, which the Paladins also have. I might have some other magic classes that have these but Paladins and Clerics are the best for these spells.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Jun 6 2019, 07:31 PM
Post #5

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

I like the idea of introducing gender restrictions to certain guilds, it adds to the roleplaying feel of it and also gives the character's gender it a bit more meaning beyond cosmetic.

Other than that I don't think I've got much to add except that I like the names you've come up with so far smile.gif

Actually one thing, since you asked about the Fog of Unknown, how much effort would it be to only show that glow around open tiles that have not been explored yet? Or to put it another way, currently the glow is visible even on the other side of walls which can't be passed by non-magical means - would it make more sense to hide the glow when a wall obscures what tile comes next? Just a thought.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jun 6 2019, 08:52 PM
Post #6

Drifter

QUOTE (BLauritson @ Jun 6 2019, 02:31 PM) *
I like the idea of introducing gender restrictions to certain guilds, it adds to the roleplaying feel of it and also gives the character's gender it a bit more meaning beyond cosmetic.

Other than that I don't think I've got much to add except that I like the names you've come up with so far smile.gif

Actually one thing, since you asked about the Fog of Unknown, how much effort would it be to only show that glow around open tiles that have not been explored yet? Or to put it another way, currently the glow is visible even on the other side of walls which can't be passed by non-magical means - would it make more sense to hide the glow when a wall obscures what tile comes next? Just a thought.

Ya, I thought gender should matter a little more. I don't want to take it too far, though. Might try and have another pair, maybe not, we'll see. smile.gif Glad you are liking the names.

I think this is what you have in mind regarding the Fog of Unknown?

It's an interesting idea. Might need to try all the various ideas out with playtesting and take a vote on what everyone likes best. I'm thinking you might have the right idea here though. Does make more sense. Thanks for the idea.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Jun 6 2019, 10:16 PM
Post #7

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

I think just having one pair of gender-restricted guilds is enough smile.gif It's enough to make character gender a bit more meaningful without placing too many restrictions on the player's choices in my opinion.

I really like the first of the screenshots you've offered there, it feels neat while still offering a sense of the unknown still yet to be explored.

As for the idea, you're welcome smile.gif I really admire your enthusiasm for this project, and look forward to seeing how it progresses.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jun 7 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #8

Drifter

QUOTE (BLauritson @ Jun 6 2019, 05:16 PM) *
I think just having one pair of gender-restricted guilds is enough smile.gif It's enough to make character gender a bit more meaningful without placing too many restrictions on the player's choices in my opinion.

I really like the first of the screenshots you've offered there, it feels neat while still offering a sense of the unknown still yet to be explored.

As for the idea, you're welcome smile.gif I really admire your enthusiasm for this project, and look forward to seeing how it progresses.

I think you're probably right about just one pair of gender restricted guilds being enough. I don't foresee more than a few more guilds added to the list at this point, but if there end up being more then maybe.

I've always enjoyed RPGs. I've begun writing a few in the past but never finished or even got that far with them. I think this time I'll finally finish my first one. The really hard part is all the content, items, creatures, etc. and also balancing it all. I think it's smart to wait on all that until you have an actual playable game. Having something you can play helps a lot in keeping the motivation up. So that's my first phase goal really is getting this thing playable even if there isn't much content. I'm doing well so far with that.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jun 8 2019, 01:30 AM
Post #9

Vagabond

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (Jason @ Jun 6 2019, 04:52 PM) *
Ya, I thought gender should matter a little more. I don't want to take it too far, though. Might try and have another pair, maybe not, we'll see. smile.gif Glad you are liking the names.

I think this is what you have in mind regarding the Fog of Unknown?

It's an interesting idea. Might need to try all the various ideas out with playtesting and take a vote on what everyone likes best. I'm thinking you might have the right idea here though. Does make more sense. Thanks for the idea.

This was my solution to the problem.

I calculated which walls could be seen and marked them, but I only marked the floor if you stood on it.

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jun 8 2019, 04:16 AM
Post #10

Drifter

QUOTE (Mordion @ Jun 7 2019, 08:30 PM) *
This was my solution to the problem.

I calculated which walls could be seen and marked them, but I only marked the floor if you stood on it.

Pretty cool. It seems to me like you can see the floors as easily as the walls, so it seems like the floors should be exposed as well. Hmm, I think I might try experimenting with your idea.

What we were talking about wasn't so much exposing the map, though, but rather indicating the outer boundary of what's been exposed. The "glow" shows the transition from known to unknown. Seems like this wasn't that clear from the feedback so I guess I'd count that as a flop. Maybe I'll scrap it, or try something else. It doesn't feel right to me as it is the more I think about it.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jun 8 2019, 03:43 PM
Post #11

Vagabond

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (Jason @ Jun 8 2019, 12:16 AM) *
Pretty cool. It seems to me like you can see the floors as easily as the walls, so it seems like the floors should be exposed as well. Hmm, I think I might try experimenting with your idea.

What we were talking about wasn't so much exposing the map, though, but rather indicating the outer boundary of what's been exposed. The "glow" shows the transition from known to unknown. Seems like this wasn't that clear from the feedback so I guess I'd count that as a flop. Maybe I'll scrap it, or try something else. It doesn't feel right to me as it is the more I think about it.

I believe my mini map does indicate the outer boundary. It's not obviously marking unexplored areas but the information is there. If the floor is gray you haven't been there and there could be traps. If the walls are white then you know what's there to the best of your characters perception. I added the additional information of dark gray walls that have been seen but haven't been experienced. This indicates that it's on the fringe of exploration.

For example take a look at the upper left 4x4 room. It's actually 4 2x2 rooms but the player hasn't discovered that. Look at the NW corner of the perimeter hallway. I can tell from the wall discovery pattern that the player looked north along the left-vertical hallway, but did not look west while in the top horizontal hallway. Otherwise the whole north-east corner would have dark gray walls.

This is pretty much all I have. I geeked out on mini-maps years ago and then never actually made a game out of it.

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jun 8 2019, 06:29 PM
Post #12

Drifter

QUOTE (Mordion @ Jun 8 2019, 10:43 AM) *
I believe my mini map does indicate the outer boundary. It's not obviously marking unexplored areas but the information is there. If the floor is gray you haven't been there and there could be traps. If the walls are white then you know what's there to the best of your characters perception. I added the additional information of dark gray walls that have been seen but haven't been experienced. This indicates that it's on the fringe of exploration.

For example take a look at the upper left 4x4 room. It's actually 4 2x2 rooms but the player hasn't discovered that. Look at the NW corner of the perimeter hallway. I can tell from the wall discovery pattern that the player looked north along the left-vertical hallway, but did not look west while in the top horizontal hallway. Otherwise the whole north-east corner would have dark gray walls.

This is pretty much all I have. I geeked out on mini-maps years ago and then never actually made a game out of it.

Ya, that's what I got too, using the light gray. I was just playing around with it fading away when adjacent to an explored tile. I'm overhauling the map rendering a little now to allow rendering it rotated. I'll be needing that later. One possibility is we could have the map rotate as you turn so your position arrow is always facing north. Hard to judge if people would like that or not. Could leave it as an option you could adjust in the configs if you wanted. Edit: Nope, forget that. Way too jarring. I can't stand it and I don't think anyone else would like it either.

Anyway, you fooled me. It looks like a working game to me! The power of a screenshot I guess. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Jason: Jun 8 2019, 08:35 PM

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jun 17 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #13

Drifter

I've been messing around with the exploration code and this is what I've come up with. This screenshot shows a step by step progression.

So you have explored cells, semi-explored cells that you can partially see with your current dungeon view (shown as a lighter tile), and I've now decoupled the walls and cells so they can be revealed individually.

I'm pretty happy with how it works now. Better than what I had before and makes more sense.

+Quote Post
cmpederson
post Jul 18 2019, 03:53 AM
Post #14

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,275
referrer:demise, and internet search

Just checking back into the site every so often and I am pleased to see the info on the new game. I am looking forward to more and hope you are able to accomplish it. Thank you

Cory

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2019 - 10:19 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits