Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Feb 4 2006, 10:20 PM
Post #22

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Feb 3 2006, 10:07 AM)
Spell Level = (Guild Level / 2) plus 0.5, thanks A.J.  And it's rounded down: "*.5" is treated as just "*".

But 23/2 = 11.5, which by what you've just said would mean that GL 23 means SL 11. So *.5 is treated as (*+1), not *. Or, to put it another way, it's rounded up.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Feb 5 2006, 01:18 AM
Post #23

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

QUOTE (BLauritson @ Feb 4 2006, 06:20 PM)
But 23/2 = 11.5, which by what you've just said would mean that GL 23 means SL 11. So *.5 is treated as (*+1), not *. Or, to put it another way, it's rounded up.

VB uses Banker's Rounding (*.5 rounds to the nearest even integer). This would have produced:

1/2 = 0.5 -> 0
2/2 = 1
3/2 = 1.5 -> 2
4/2 = 2
5/2 = 2.5 -> 2
6/2 = 3
7/2 = 3.5 -> 4

And Spell Levels would have occurred at Guild Levels 2, 3, 6, 7, 10, 11, 14, 15, etc. instead of 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 13, 15, etc. Level 1 characters would start at Spell Level 0. This is probably why DA used +0.5 rounded down instead of just "rounded off".

The difference between the two methods becomes visible in the case of Wizards' Damage spells. Wizards get the Damage spell class at 1.25 * the normal (i.e., Healer) base costs, so:

CODE
Spell                  Healer  Displayed   Actual      Guild Level Learned
                       Base    Wizard      Wizard      (Effective Spell Level)
                       Cost    Base        Base

Cause Wounds           1       1           1.25        2 (1.5)
Cause Heavy Wounds     3       3           3.75        7 (4)
Power                  5       6           6.25        12 (6.5)
Harm                   6       7           7.5         14 (7.5)
Draining Touch         6       7           7.5         14 (7.5)
Cause Fatal Wounds     7       8           8.75        17 (9)
Word of Death          8       15          15          29 (15)

The tricky part is that the game doesn't do any rounding (up or down) when checking if you learned a new spell. (Guild Level 14 / 2) is still SL 7, but (Guild Level 14 / 2) + 0.5 is SL 7.5, which is why Wizards get Harm at Guild Level 14 (SL 7.5), not Guild Level 15 (SL 8). The same is true for Cause Wounds and Power, learned at SL 1.5 and SL 6.5 (those two SLs being higher than 1.25 and 6.25, the actual base levels for Wizards).

More groovy Mordor weirdness. biggrin.gif dance.gif

This post has been edited by Nudibranch: Feb 5 2006, 01:23 AM

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
thehoboprophet
post Feb 26 2007, 03:33 PM
Post #24

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,509
referrer:Searching the interweb

I may just be a shade off my rocker or something, but the spell cost thing wouldn't work for me. said something about division by zero or something, and as i am excel-tarded, somebody explain this to me. Sorry if its really simple, but my retardedness seems to come in waves.

peace, hobo

--------------------
I wish my grass was emo so it could cut itself

I have to say I am a pretty wicked bartender, so if anybody needs any ideas or help with drinks, party planning, home bars, or anything of the like, let me know. I want to help, need to find a few other mixologists to talk to

+Quote Post
aardless
post Feb 26 2007, 07:59 PM
Post #25

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

I'm not sure I have the latest version, but you need to input your spell level in the correct cell. The "correct cell" being B1 for the spellcasting big guns and, huh, something else for Nomad Thief Scavenger and Ninja. It should have a "<" next to it.

Edit: hmm, goopotato's version is down, both here and in the downloads section, I'll rummage around and see if I can find it. I'm pretty sure I have it *some*where.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
thehoboprophet
post Feb 26 2007, 08:20 PM
Post #26

Drifter

Member No.: 1,509
referrer:Searching the interweb

Alright, so the excel-tardedness let me figure it out. I have to input a number *caugh, caugh* Im smart, i tell ya. whistling.gif

--------------------
I wish my grass was emo so it could cut itself

I have to say I am a pretty wicked bartender, so if anybody needs any ideas or help with drinks, party planning, home bars, or anything of the like, let me know. I want to help, need to find a few other mixologists to talk to

+Quote Post
Morbid_Wraith
post Jul 17 2007, 12:12 PM
Post #27

Apprentice

Member No.: 3,679

The link for the most recent version of this is down.
Can someone upload it somewhere?

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jul 17 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #28

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Took me a while to sort through my files, but I finally found it.

Quick and dirty solution is rapidshare's link.
If you have never used it, you need to scroll down and click on "free". Then select a download mirror and/or type the security code. I'll put it in the Downloads section when I figure out how to do that.

Edit: you can now find the file for download over there.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Morbid_Wraith
post Jul 19 2007, 09:16 AM
Post #29

Apprentice

Member No.: 3,679

Thank you very much. I was unable to find this anywhere, and was just what I needed.

+Quote Post
Gwilim
post Aug 11 2010, 12:08 PM
Post #30

Vagabond

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 499
referrer:search engine

Is there a way to use this without having a copy of excel?

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Aug 11 2010, 05:11 PM
Post #31

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

It works in OpenOffice, which is a 150MB download. A very viable alternative to MS Office, though.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
npsuber
post Aug 13 2010, 02:32 AM
Post #32

Fighter

Member No.: 3,099
referrer:from slimey

QUOTE (Gwilim @ Aug 11 2010, 05:08 AM) *
Is there a way to use this without having a copy of excel?

In addition to Open Office, you can also use Google Docs (no download necessary).

+Quote Post
Goopotato
post Feb 23 2011, 03:22 AM
Post #33

Journeyman

Member No.: 812
referrer:Google

I know the spreadsheet originally only showed spell data, but with the addition of the experience calculator and Guild A/D lists it seems to be turning into an all-purpose reference guide. So, after a couple hours of boredom, I made a new tab in my spreadsheet called Monsters, which contains almost all monster data, and is sortable and filterable across the board. I use it to keep track of which monsters I have in confinement, how far I've identified them, and a quick reference for resists and special abilities. Using the sheet, I've been able to keep track of everything I need to put in confinement (I have everything that's charmable from the first 3 levels, and only missing a Hydra, Morgul, and Pit Viper from level 4). It's also kind of nifty to be able to only show all of the Undead monsters, or all of the Mythical ones, and see what things they have in common.

I've also started a Teleport and Chute guide, but since my party won't survive beyond Level 8, it's obviously incomplete.

If anyone's interested I can upload it as 1.07, or if it's too much of a change from the current spell guide, I can always put it in a separate file and upload that.
Edit: I just realized that the monster tab was already in there, with the identified and confinement information, I just added the rest of the information there.

On a side note, I've been lurking for the past couple weeks, but this is my first post in over 5 years... good to see interest in the game is still going.

This post has been edited by Goopotato: Feb 23 2011, 04:09 AM

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Feb 23 2011, 04:28 AM
Post #34

Veteran

Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

and is sortable and filterable

The heck? How do you do that in excel?

+Quote Post
Goopotato
post Feb 23 2011, 05:17 AM
Post #35

Journeyman

Member No.: 812
referrer:Google

QUOTE (Danjen @ Feb 22 2011, 09:28 PM) *
The heck? How do you do that in excel?

In Excel 2000 and 2003, go to the Data menu, and then click Sort... or Filter >. The sheet is already set up to sort by monster name, and autofilter is turned on, so all you have to do is click on the arrow button next to any of the category titles and it'll let you filter your results.

For 2007 and 2010, it's likely somewhere similar, but because Microsoft completely changed the layout in 2007, I couldn't tell you off the top of my head.

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Jan 2 2015, 12:20 AM
Post #36

Fighter

Member No.: 7,124
referrer:slimeys

i think the link to the guide has been taken down i clicked and it says not found

--------------------
just so you know its me, kingkirki49

Ich kann drei prozent auf deustch sprechen.

my famous mordor saying

Zeige mir, oh Lehrer. Derjenige, der Magie tut, ist töricht aber der Krieger ist stark. Der Dieb stiehlt , aber der Heiler gibt. Der Suchende sucht, aber der Hexenmeister sieht. Der Magier bezaubert, aber die Zauberer bläst. Der Nomade reist, aber der Bösewicht ist böse. Der Paladin tötet Drachen und der Ninja schleicht. Und der Scavenger? Er sucht nach Nahrung und Gold.

(translated)

Teach me, O teacher. The one who does magic is foolish, but the warrior is strong. The thief steals, but the healer gives. The seeker seeks, but the wizard sees. The mage charms, but the Sorcerer blasts. The nomad travels, but the villain is evil. The paladin kills dragons and the ninja creeps. And the scavenger? He searches for food and gold.

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 3 2015, 10:03 AM
Post #37

Fighter

Member No.: 4,683
referrer:Search engine

Here's the link to the most recent version.

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Jan 7 2015, 01:09 AM
Post #38

Fighter

Member No.: 7,124
referrer:slimeys

thankyou

--------------------
just so you know its me, kingkirki49

Ich kann drei prozent auf deustch sprechen.

my famous mordor saying

Zeige mir, oh Lehrer. Derjenige, der Magie tut, ist töricht aber der Krieger ist stark. Der Dieb stiehlt , aber der Heiler gibt. Der Suchende sucht, aber der Hexenmeister sieht. Der Magier bezaubert, aber die Zauberer bläst. Der Nomade reist, aber der Bösewicht ist böse. Der Paladin tötet Drachen und der Ninja schleicht. Und der Scavenger? Er sucht nach Nahrung und Gold.

(translated)

Teach me, O teacher. The one who does magic is foolish, but the warrior is strong. The thief steals, but the healer gives. The seeker seeks, but the wizard sees. The mage charms, but the Sorcerer blasts. The nomad travels, but the villain is evil. The paladin kills dragons and the ninja creeps. And the scavenger? He searches for food and gold.

+Quote Post
sneroplex
post Sep 8 2017, 02:08 PM
Post #39

Drifter

Member No.: 609
referrer:Once you discover Mordor, there will always be Mordor.

Wow this file is amazing! Thanks so much for putting it together. Does Scavenger really have to level to 195 for 6 cost Charm of Opening? Brutal, laugh.gif.

Anyways thanks again this tool is great, I will definitely have it on hand.

Cheers,

--------------------
Boromir said it best: "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume."

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd July 2019 - 03:51 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits