> A virgin, solo game
fischsemmel
post Dec 7 2018, 10:06 PM
Post #21

Journeyman

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

Haha, thanks. I do use superseer for harder quests or something like relearning pariah rooms, etc. Took me about 7-8 trips through the right rooms in 7 (and a couple times on 8 i think) before I found the yethwa. Not bad, really. Made some healer levels in the meantime. Then I got quested on the next two seeker levels too, though I just walked over to the general store for those two smile.gif

Killed me a giant king pretty easily just now! I think my only complaints with playing solo so far are 1) slow melee resolution since you have to watch every swing as it happens I stead of just putting your thief/dex monkey in the back of the party and keeping him selected, and 2) general slow dungoen progression because you want well more defense than is needed for 95% of the stuff on a level before you actually explore it because of how problematic stoning (and to a lesser extent item destruction and instadeath groups) can be. And maybe how little time I spend in a fighting guild; there's something satisfying about swinging an avenger or whatever around and wearing a bunch of heavy armor that you just don't get in the caster or thief guilds! If I solo again eventually I need to man up and do like a human warrior mage scavenger (or ninja) or something. Actually, eh. That still sounds fun but I guess solo just doesn't work too well without spreading yourself thin to cover all your bases... especially if you can't be a thief or a healer.

But having a lot of fun. I can grind in Mordor like no other game I've ever played... laugh.gif. I credit the music. I never get tired of these few little songs.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Dec 7 2018, 10:16 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 8 2018, 07:00 AM
Post #22

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Best way to speed melee is to cast spells instead, especially against big groups. smile.gif Sorcerer's Acid Spray and Electric Field are your friend. And sashes.

--------------------
Time to eat the donuts.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 8 2018, 01:32 PM
Post #23

Journeyman

I mean... Kind of? I know everyone says that, but nobody seems to consider the time spent running back and forth through the dungeon to recharge in town, or the chance of teleporting wrong and rocking while trying to hurry in and out of the dungeon, or the time you spend leveling up a casting guild to the point you can actually hit hard enough and cheap enough with a spell like acid spray to use it effectively, etc. I will use spells on the right groups (like giant crocodiles, or zbrats, or stuff with breath weapons, etc), but generally I prefer to melee and heal up after. Acid spray still barely wipes out groups on level 7 despite me being way outleveled for it, and leprosy won't even always wipe out crocs let alone the nardana fellas. Meanwhile I can melee down these same groups while only taking literally a few damage and save mana for heals and teleports. I need to use max level spells to have a chance at wiping out groups on 9-11 and even then it won't usually work... but it costs me 40+ Mana a pop still. But to each their own, I know smile.gif. Maybe melee just seems more effective for me because I'm nearly double the seeker levels as I am the healer/sorc in my efforts to keep defense high.

Anyway, it finally happened, I got stoned. Was trying to find an asp on level 9 and walked into a room with a couple mythicals who got the jump on me and stoned me immediately. Im surprised it took as long as it did! Fortunately it wasn't even 2 years to be found. I'm still only 25 even as I close in on 200 seeker and am exploring level 11 when I'm not questing =D

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Dec 8 2018, 01:35 PM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 8 2018, 05:18 PM
Post #24

Fire Master

Aging is really only an issue once you hit studs on level 15. And then only if you hit 15 over and over again. I've never tried that soloing.

Once you get Acid Spray high enough, you can power level on 7 for a long time. The lake on 6 is a good bet before then. It's grindy, but melee, especially solo, is grindier.

The path to 7 is ingrained in my fingers. I could go up or down in about a minute. I never bothered with teleporting until later. I never bothered to learn the faster chute+teleport routes either.

There's a big power-leveling slowdown in the gap between lakes on 7 and 11. Looking far ahead, 14 is awesome for XP, but damn tough, too.

--------------------
Time to eat the donuts.

+Quote Post
Grog
post Dec 8 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #25

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 8 2018, 05:32 AM) *
... I will use spells on the right groups... but generally I prefer to melee and heal up after...

Spent my first few years playing almost purely melee with a party of 4, thief/healer in the back, warrior out front, saving "Mana" for healing,
using magical items for the toughest monsters.
Strategy works well for long periods in the dungeon, only coming up when a party member gets pinned.

Now playing solo, it's all Osiri/Sorcerer spell-casting for me.

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 8 2018, 05:32 AM) *
Anyway, it finally happened, I got stoned.

I never solo below 8 without a companion or even two or three. Medusa is my favorite.

Found a ring of entrapment yet? Orbs of life domination?

--------------------
Happy Holidays!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 8 2018, 08:46 PM
Post #26

Journeyman

I get annoyed going back and forth to town often I think. Currently my routes alternate between running and using teleporters to twisted elf then fighting from there through minotaur and level 7-8 until I pin. Then next trip I run and use chutes/fighting to get to 11 where I pin in the water. I visit giant king sometimes too. 201 seeker, 170-something thief, 113 healer, like 98 sorc I think?

No RoE yet. I do have a few orbs of life domination though.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Dec 10 2018, 03:17 AM
Post #27

Drifter

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:google

Woohoo a referral! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (korexus @ Dec 7 2018, 03:54 PM) *
Consider the Super Seer.

You might consider it cheating, as it can be used for spoilers on maps, but if you restrict yourself to levels you've already mapped out, it can help hunting down quest monsters.

Maybe the questmaster just things you need more practice at Seeking.

korexus.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 10 2018, 12:20 PM
Post #28

Journeyman

Good God. How do you guys deal with all the breath weapons monsters on 10 and lower when you're solo? Just nuke them or run away? I have 90 or 95 for every resist but mundragons and phantasmal mists and lava giants just do so much damn damage to me. Maybe I need to learn all of their resist weak points but I'm not sure even my highest level spells can reliably wipe them out... I only get like 200ish from electric field on the regular.

I'm thinking just not even fighting them if they don't have a box/chest is what I'll be doing. Taking 300 damage or spending 70 mana on high level nukes just to kill 2 lava giants or whatever is ridiculous.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Dec 10 2018, 12:25 PM

+Quote Post
korexus
post Dec 10 2018, 09:44 PM
Post #29

Explorer

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 10 2018, 12:20 PM) *
Good God. How do you guys deal with all the breath weapons monsters on 10 and lower when you're solo? Just nuke them or run away? I have 90 or 95 for every resist but mundragons and phantasmal mists and lava giants just do so much damn damage to me.

There's a big difference between 90% and 95% resistance. - Getting to 95% will halve the damage, so do it.

QUOTE (fischsemmel)
Maybe I need to learn all of their resist weak points but I'm not sure even my highest level spells can reliably wipe them out... I only get like 200ish from electric field on the regular.

A lot of breath weapon monsters turn up in smaller groups, so the element spells can do better. - They have lower max damage and don't hit as many targets, but fewer things resist them, and they're a lot cheaper. - You can go a long way with leprosy!

QUOTE (fischsemmel)
I'm thinking just not even fighting them if they don't have a box/chest is what I'll be doing. Taking 300 damage or spending 70 mana on high level nukes just to kill 2 lava giants or whatever is ridiculous.

You don't have to kill them to open the chest. That's a strategy that can get you a beating though...

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 10 2018, 10:39 PM
Post #30

Journeyman

QUOTE (korexus @ Dec 10 2018, 04:44 PM) *
There's a big difference between 90% and 95% resistance. - Getting to 95% will halve the damage, so do it

Resistance is only half effective against breath (or electrocution or whatever other natural tracks there are). So only 90% isn't really a big deal like it is when you're getting hit with spells.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 11 2018, 02:25 AM
Post #31

Journeyman

I was plugging away at sorcerer levels today to be able to nuke the most annoying stuff I run into and so I can go start killing mother of serpents. It was going great; I can kill the mythicals and breathing monsters quick with an acidic spray or whatever, and MoS goes down to 2 electric fields, and I even can equip a mystic shield now, but unfortunately I just got quested for a rod of ultimate power. I didn't realize they don't save at the store, so looks like I'll be done leveling sorcerer for a while as I hope for a new drop! I've seen 4 so far, so maybe it won't take long.

I'll probably go back to healer again to drive restoration mana cost lower and get word of death cheap enough to use it when EF is getting resisted.

I think my osiri has nearly as much xp now as each member of my full party I played a couple years ago, even though they had killed the big guy a few times and found 3 blessings. And my wizard is still only at 41. Yikes. Maybe I'll give up on my pipedream of leveling wizard just so I have a mind nuke.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Dec 11 2018, 03:02 AM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 11 2018, 05:38 AM
Post #32

Fire Master

I think the store does save rods, but if you sell one with less than the "average" # of charges (40 in the case of RoUP), the store won't add it to stock.

--------------------
Time to eat the donuts.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 12 2018, 02:03 AM
Post #33

Journeyman

Oh man. Mother of Serpents just 'j'oined me. That should come in handy! Hit minimum cost on restoration and still no rod of ultimate power so I'm back to seeker to bump my defense and combat up a bit before I revisit thief too.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Yesterday, 11:54 AM
Post #34

Journeyman

Bleh. I rocked myself on level 13 while using the seeker crest to jump around to pariah rooms. I'm using an editor to resurrect without complications and continuing on, bringing myself to a disappointing 5 deaths so far.

1. Slime on the way to slaver that I didn't remember was there paralyzed me when I was too low for 2
2. Stoned by a mythical on 8 or 9
3 & 4. Teleported above the city with a mistype and it made me ressurect twice for some reason
5. Rocked 1 coordinate off from the steps I was aiming at

Oh well. I went into this knowing I wasnt up for a hardcore no-death game. Though yeah, 4 of those deaths really annoy me because they're from me not playing carefully (the stone death is inevitable given enough play time even with 100 dex and con and 95% resist and 4 companions, hell even avoiding mythical rooms you still find then randomly sometimes, so that death doesn't bother me).

Esit - also disappointing was auto-pilot opening a mother of Serpents chest... and it was a slime... and it hit an item... and it was my ring of teleportation. I have a 2nd still but they're basically my only irreplaceable items at this point :-/

Otherwise though I'm up to 247 seeker (and 172 sorc still stuck on today of ultimate power quest, 159 healer, 179 thief). Defense is almost 400 now (as a seeker, anyway). I need more thief levels because thief monsters on 12+ have started robbing me again after having spent the last few levels almost immune to that, and it's getting hard to ID traps and a lot are * to disarm. I want more sorc levels badly to make my big nukes cheaper and more effective, though I'm going to stick to my "no forfeits" rule; it makes me feel a bit better about using an editor to fix rocking. Healer needs some more after that I guess cause WoD is still over 30 spell points.

I've run the pariah rooms on 12 (and one from 11) probably 8-9 times now as one of my two usual routes in the dungeon and haven't seen one yet. I've also yet to see a dragon blood even though I'm killing white dragons on 11 and I've run into several mengu ogres with chests on 13 too. I'm still only 27 but I know I'll be getting aged regularly before too much longer!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Yesterday, 12:21 PM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Today, 12:36 PM
Post #35

Journeyman

Wooooooooo!!!! Just saw my first pariah, and he dropped a misc object that didn't autocurse, if you know what I mean smile.gif

I nearly got screwed by opening the chest though, because the fate trap went off and put me down to 14 spell points but I have to displace out of the area i got the blessing in because I am only running through the rooms and not all of the floor ... laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Roland
post Today, 08:13 PM
Post #36

Explorer

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

That's why my Seeker/Thief always carries a Scroll of Spells and several charges of Fate!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Today, 08:29 PM
Post #37

Journeyman

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 14 2018, 03:13 PM) *
That's why my Seeker/Thief always carries a Scroll of Spells and several charges of Fate!

I've thought about doing that, but I told myself they'd get stolen. I have extra scrolls piling up in my bank after I sold the first several I found, so I'll have to grab a couple for when it inevitably happens again!

Currently I'm switching things up a bit. I used the wiki to find all the lower-level stuff that can drop rods of ultimate power and rings of entrapment/elven rings... and I'm just kinda blitzing through floors 5-8 (and the water on 11 still) looking for the right stuff. I'll get that sorcerer quest done eventually!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: fischsemmel

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2018 - 08:46 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits