> "Invalid File Format"? WTF?, Error in Mordor 1.1
Stove
post Jun 14 2007, 09:15 AM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,565
referrer:Referred by a friend

Having a blast trying to install this bugger.
Have use both installer and no-install versions of 1.1. Once I finally got around all the missing .dll's (thanks for the nice folder of essentials), i now get an interesting error:
I boot the game: get the splash screen for a bit, and the screen res/colour depth resets itself to game defaults.
Then error: "Error 'invalid file format' occurred. Continue anyway?"

Whats up with this?

Stove
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jun 14 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #2

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Screwed computer? happy.gif

Seriously, I haven't the foggest idea. What OS are you on? The no_installer is supposed to work right away. If you are on Vista put your Mordor directory out of Program Files.
Another possibility is to not use a shortcut, but click directly on the Mordor.exe.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
AJ2VM
post Mar 19 2008, 03:12 AM
Post #3

Student

Member No.: 2,150
referrer:A magical site called google.

Yeah, I could use a little help with this too... I tried installing mordor on my flash drive and it tells me, "Error: Invalid format: Contine Anyways?" I click yes, and nothing happens. I wish it would tell me which file isn't right.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Mar 19 2008, 07:10 PM
Post #4

Are you on 64-bit OS? That's the only thing I can think of. Or, if it's the no_installer version try copying it to your hard-drive, although I can't imagine what difference it would make.

[Edit]
Other possibilities:
1) You are on Win ME. Do not use the built-in unzipper as it is my experience that it tends to go corrupt and extract files incorrectly from a perfectly fine zip. Download instead an archive manager like winzip, winrar, winace or 7zip.
2) Your OS may be corrupt. Try downloading any zipped file, for example from Underdogs, extract the file and try to play whatever game you picked. Does it work? If it doesn't, tough luck. swoon2.gif

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

+Quote Post
Kingkirki_49
post Mar 21 2008, 12:50 AM
Post #5

Illusionist

Member No.: 1,203
referrer:Slimie's site

maby its vista if he has vista i dunno laugh.gif i never heard of this error before laugh.gif theres a first time for everything! am i right?

--------------------
Ich kann 5% deutsch sprechen.

Visit my forums about dragon drawing and drawing in general today! You dont have to be able to draw to be a part of the fun!

(Please note: If it turns into a "Red X" from time to time I apologise. :( You may still click the x and it will take you to my site.)

When will we have the perfect computer? The following should answer the question.:
Myself answering this joke: At least if god has not branded computers as evil. There shall be no viruses or anything bad on heaven's pc's then and only then shall we have the perfect computer. lol

siggy last edited on 17/11/09 @ 8:19 PM

+Quote Post
AnmanIndustries
post Sep 25 2008, 02:30 AM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 4,780
referrer:with the power of my imagination (google)

Exactly the same thing for me here at work. However, I didnt use an installer, I merely copied the game onto my usb drive at home, and tried to run it here. After manually downloading and installing all the associated VB runtime files, it came up with this same error.

Xp pro, service pack 2. Home computer only has sp1.

+Quote Post
AnmanIndustries
post Sep 25 2008, 03:27 AM
Post #7

Drifter

Ok, I looked up the MSDN as to what this meant and it basicaly means the game is calling things into places it shouldnt. In short, it means the VB run time files you are using, are TOO new!

http://mordor.uni.cc/forum/downloads.html&showfile=22
Copy those files into your system32/system folder, overwrite EVERYTHING and it will work.

+Quote Post
Walky
post Sep 25 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #8

Adventurer

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,321
referrer:Signature of Crasher in Demise Forums

BTW: and be prepared that newer stuff using VB will NOT work anymore!!! I'd really advise against doing anything like that... (unless you decide that you will not do anything else on this PC except playing mordor...)

+Quote Post
AnmanIndustries
post Sep 25 2008, 07:55 AM
Post #9

Drifter

Ive been here but a few days and Ive labled you as "The warning guy"

It shouldnt make too much a difference actually. Newer versions of VB dont use the same run time files as the older versions. In fact, Im pretty sure they dont use any at all. Older VB applications did need them as the whole 16bit thing was too complicated to be handled by old school windows handlers. In fact, theyre so old now, that windows needs specific handlers to deal with these old applications. I dont think switching out these VB run time files will be an issue. But Im not 100% sure about this.

+Quote Post
Walky
post Sep 25 2008, 08:39 AM
Post #10

Adventurer

Member No.: 3,321
referrer:Signature of Crasher in Demise Forums

Let's call it the professional programmer in me who encountered way too many problems due to some "You just need to..." solutions. (Not that I myself don't do any mistakes. I've added my share of "You just need to..." as well). But after about 15 years of debugging experience you start to see some obvious problems very quickly

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Sep 25 2008, 02:32 PM
Post #11

Veteran

Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

In this time and place, XP is starting to be phased out by Microsoft in favor of Vista. Eventually, games that worked for XP will no longer work. The best solution I can think of is to just buy a real crap computer, like 512 mb of ram, a few gb of harddrive space and a cheap processor. Run Windows 98 on it. It's not flashy, but damnit, I think it's the most reliable OS Microsoft has, and it can run a whole schwack of old games. smile.gif

+Quote Post
aardless
post Sep 25 2008, 07:52 PM
Post #12

Whoa, thanks for that!

As the resident back-up maniac, I'd suggest to back-up the files before overwriting them. If you've got VB runtime chances (like, huh, 100%) are you have, or had, a program that uses it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
AnmanIndustries
post Sep 25 2008, 11:54 PM
Post #13

Drifter

QUOTE (Danjen @ Sep 26 2008, 12:32 AM) *
In this time and place, XP is starting to be phased out by Microsoft in favor of Vista. Eventually, games that worked for XP will no longer work. The best solution I can think of is to just buy a real crap computer, like 512 mb of ram, a few gb of harddrive space and a cheap processor. Run Windows 98 on it. It's not flashy, but damnit, I think it's the most reliable OS Microsoft has, and it can run a whole schwack of old games. smile.gif

I dont believe that will happen. Games such as Starcraft, built back int he windows 95 day, still SELL. If Microsoft provided an operating system, that is WINDOWS, as such, and it didnt run a product it is suppose to and is bringing in revenue to a company that built their software for their OS, lawsuit ensues.

My computer still has 512mb of ram. About 5 years ago it was top of the line fastest ram you could get. I still use it to run new games. Most, new games.

Whoa, thanks for that!

No probs. I figure you guys have been at this thing for a while so fixing issues is something you just cant be stuffed anymore.... And I had to fix it for myself.

+Quote Post
Knowledge8069
post Jul 22 2010, 10:42 PM
Post #14

Student

Member No.: 6,330
referrer:Google

AnmanIndustries, thank you so much (2 years later) for the fix! My Windows 7 PC crashed so I was trying to get Mordor to work on my Windows XP Service Pack 2 netbook. Was getting the "Invalid File Format" error, but your instructions fixed everything! Sound works too, it's all good now!!

+Quote Post
Soloon
post Apr 6 2011, 07:19 AM
Post #15

Apprentice

Member No.: 1,555
referrer:I like mordor too ^^, so i checked for full version of mordor 1.
I Thank you very much.

I guys, I can't find the path to download the old VB run time. Pls help me ^^
[Sorry for my english, i'm an italian player]
---
[Edit]
I found the reqfile XD but i was unable to fix the problem. I solved with your super fantastic guide of VM VirtualBox and Standard Xp Sp2. I think this is the fastest and the best choice. Thank you very much.

This post has been edited by Soloon: Apr 6 2011, 09:47 AM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Apr 8 2011, 06:28 AM
Post #16

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

http://mordor.uni.cc/forum/index.php?autom...amp;showfile=22

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Apr 15 2011, 07:18 PM
Post #17

@Soloon: Ciao, benvenuto! happy.gif I'm glad the tutorial was useful, it took a while to put it all together! It is strange that the fix suggested by AmmanIndustries didn't work this time, what is your OS on the host system?
And you English is fine! wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 06:14 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits