Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Party for 2020
BLauritson
post Mar 24 2020, 05:58 PM
Post #1

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

Greetings folks,

Following the sad demise of my 2018 party I've already started turning my thoughts towards my next party composition who will carry on their spiritual legacy.

Something I really under-appreciated in my last run was the importance of melee combat prowess in a party. I was frequently running out of spell points just trying to clear a path down to DL7 of all places at a time when I was already mapping out DL9 and DL10, and truth be told I really don't have the desire to manage real-time spellcasting in combat for more than one character when running a party. So, what to do then?

Well, first of all, I'm going to have to do a fresh install of Mordor and since I want the party to benefit from legacy items, I'm going to have to create a preliminary party to sweep the first couple of dungeon levels in order to collect tomes and potions. Knowing now that combat goes significantly faster when your selected character is the last in the party line, I'm going to create a team of four giants to this end who will simply max out on Str and Con at character generation and minimise everything else. Their purpose will be solely to create a legacy environment for the new party to hatch into, plus they'll probably make half-decent rescuers as well.

As for the party that will hopefully, for the first time ever in my life, grind their way down to meet the big boss himself, I'm looking to approach this very much as a "lead from the back" type of party that focuses mostly on melee, with only my active character responsible for spellcasting in combat.

With that in mind I'm thinking something like the following:

- Giant Warrior/Seeker
- ???
- Dwarf Warrior/Healer (backup healer for outside of combat)
- Osiri Thief/Sorcerer/Healer

I'm in two minds whether to try running a Troll Ninja for the second slot (I think Trolls can join the Ninja guild? Correct me if I'm wrong, don't have it reinstalled yet and the wiki isn't back online yet either). Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the same? Or should I just go for another Giant or Dwarf? I like the variety of having all characters of different races, but by the same token I don't want to waste time on a character that will be ineffective in the long run.

While I ponder further the second character I shall go about actually trying to get XP installed in a virtual machine, as I'm on Windows 10 now which doesn't have the convenient Virtual XP machine that 7 had. Toodle-oo!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roland
post Mar 24 2020, 11:14 PM
Post #2

Infiltrator

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

In your initial party, I would suggest making one character a Thief or a Scavenger so that you can open magically locked boxes.

Yes, Trolls can be Ninjas. Humans are the only other race that can be Ninjas.

One player who posted in this forum had a party that consisted of three Giant Warriors, all set to auto-fight, and one character who took care of all the other functions. It was reportedly a successful party. The only drawback I can see to that arrangement is that the non-Warrior character could take forever to level in all the necessary guilds and would have trouble keeping up. But he ran the non-Warrior at the front of the party so that it could grab all the experience from high-value encounters by casting spells. With smaller, easier encounters, he would just let the Warriors beat them up.

I've always thought I might run a similar party, replacing one of the Giants with a Dwarf Warrior/Healer in order to save the non-Warrior from leveling in Healer. But if you're going to make your Osiri a Healer, you'll lose that benefit. In my experience, you don't need two Healers. My Warrior/Healer never runs out of spell points before my Seeker/Thief/Sorcerer or my Paladin/Mage. Given the huge experience requirements for an Osiri Healer, you're looking at a lot of grinding for little added benefit.

If you decide to proceed with making the Osiri a Thief/Sorcerer/Healer, you will want to run him at the front of the party in order to grab most of the experience.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Mar 25 2020, 05:23 PM
Post #3

Lord Fnorgle

Thanks Roland, you make some good points there.

I wonder if perhaps to resolve the decision of what to do in terms of the last character I should just run a party of 3 instead, each one belonging to two guilds. Giant Warrior/Seeker, Dwarf Warrior/Healer, Osiri Thief/Sorcerer. It will slightly improve the experience point spread and keeps the guild memberships balanced.

It also means I have one less name to think of when creating them biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Mar 25 2020, 09:43 PM
Post #4

Infiltrator

My three-character party works pretty well. But one of them is a Mage, who always keeps at least two powerful companions around to help with combat. However, since you'll have two Warriors - and one of them a Giant - maybe you'll be able to generate enough melee damage with just three characters. The Osiri will never have great defense, but as long as you keep at the back of the party I think he should be okay. I find that the character in the third slot gets hit a lot less often than those in the first and second slots.

You're looking at an all-neutral party, so you should plan to spend a lot of gold flipping stats and other items. That means you'll want to hunt monsters with a lot of gold like Firagons, Pelagons, and especially Blue Pelagons.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Mar 26 2020, 07:10 PM
Post #5

Lord Fnorgle

Thanks again for the tips Roland.

Well, while I deliberate on whether or not to include a fourth character, I've made a four-character melee party with the express intention of stocking up the store once again. So, for my Legacy Creation party, allow me to introduce:

1) Zugra the Neutral Male Giant Warrior
2) Zugri the Neutral Female Giant Warrior
3) Zugro the Neutral Male Giant Warrior
4) Zugru the Good Female Ogre Scavenger

laugh.gif

Honestly the main choice behind these names is to put them to the bottom of the list when I eventually create my legacy party. In the meantime though it will be interesting to see how far this group can safely delve on the basis of their natural stats and resistances; given their primary purpose is to just gather items and work towards becoming a rescue party later on down the line I won't be investing anything in their development beyond guild advancement.

As an aside I did start wondering whether having an Ogre Warrior to fill the gap in my future party might be worth consideration, but I can't help feel they would only ever amount to being a second-rate Giant just for the sake of being different. Curse me and my unnecessarily irreconcilable desires.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Mar 26 2020, 08:21 PM
Post #6

Infiltrator

QUOTE (BLauritson @ Mar 26 2020, 03:10 PM) *
Honestly the main choice behind these names is to put them to the bottom of the list when I eventually create my legacy party.

Can you sort characters in alphabetical order? (If so, how?) The default order is the order in which you create them - and that's the only order I've ever seen.

With all those Giants, you might want to make one a Seeker to help with mapping - and later to be able to cast Soul Search and Displacement when performing a rescue.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Mar 26 2020, 08:49 PM
Post #7

Lord Fnorgle

Ah yes, you're right, it only does display them in creation order.

I think because my previous characters happened to be created in closely alphabetical order I was misremembering things and thought they were sorted alphabetically.

Well, for reasons that can only be ascribed to sheer carelessness and stupidity I've already had my first party wipe after the leader fell down the chute to level 2 and I allowed the rest of the party to follow. Two of them died from the fall and the other two died on the way back to the stairs.

The reason I describe such as down to carelessness and stupidity is I've been making no effort whatsoever to avoid the pits and other hazards that I should know more or less off by heart from DL1 and it seems there is a lot of truth to the notion that the bigger they are, the harder they fall. Those Giants do not like falling into pits. I mean, nobody does, really, but they seem to hurt especially bad when it happens. Good thing resurrections are free for inexperienced characters.

Given that I minimised all stats except for Str and Con when creating these characters, they're terribly poor at identifying items they find. As a result I've created an Elf with maximum Intelligence and Wisdom, called Sagacitus, whose sole purpose will be to assist this forerunner party in better identifying the items they find so that I can make decisions on what to keep aside as potential stat boosters and what to sell to the shop for early-game profit.

Oh well, back to the mapping and gathering smile.gif

EDIT: Turns out with 20 Int and Wis, Sagacitus is no better at identifying items than Zugru who is slightly more intelligent than the rest as a requirement to be a scavenger. Oh well, already up to around 5m combined gold from just selling everything regardless of what it is. Which is good because I got cocky and sent the party (all currently level 7 in their respective guilds) up against the Slave Master. Well, he died, but so did the party eventually. Those mashers mashed us good. 4x paid resurrections = expeeeeensive!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Mar 27 2020, 06:25 PM
Post #8

Infiltrator

Putting a Seeker at the front of the party would really help with finding pits, teleporters, etc.

I think intelligence plays a role in identifying items (not sure about wisdom), but guild level is more important. I'm not sure whether the calculation uses the current guild level or the highest guild level, however.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Mar 28 2020, 01:35 PM
Post #9

Lord Fnorgle

I must admit I've not really taken the safety of this early party that seriously, since I'm just rushing through the early stage of stocking up the store and mapping out the first 2-3 dungeon levels.

Now that each of them have amassed quite a bit of gold I'm starting to identify tomes and potions properly, and keeping aside those which will be useful for my eventual legacy party. In the meantime I plan on also creating a separate healer character to perform the classic strategy of healing my main party members at the town stairs to prevent ageing.

Finally, I've decided that I will run a four-character legacy party, and that the last undecided one will be another Gnome Paladin/Mage. This is less for active spellcasting and more for the ability to charm rare monsters as and when I encounter them to make future quests a lot easier. I also can't deny my love of Kill spells, even though I know in the long run they're annoyingly less effective than the Sorcerer's myriad damaging spells.

So the intended legacy party order will now be:

1) Giant Warrior/Seeker
2) Dwarf Warrior/Healer
3) Gnome Paladin/Mage
4) Osiri Thief/Sorcerer

Basically similar setup to my eradicated party except with a narrower guild focus per character and a heavier emphasis on melee combat instead of spellcasting (I never did find my Elf to be very effective compared to the rest of the party in the 2018 setup, especially considering how much physically weaker she was). And it has the bonus that, if I know I'm about to, or likely to, face a more challenging encounter I'll still have the Dwarf and Gnome for spellcasting support.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2020 - 11:47 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits