fischsemmel
post Jan 14 2019, 09:38 PM
Post #21

Vagabond

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 14 2019, 11:58 AM) *
. Levels come fast while wielding the cross!

Especially at the levels when you can first use them! So dang strong for that low of a level.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 16 2019, 02:24 AM
Post #22

Fighter

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

Last night I only made two levels. I was too busy using my newly acquired Soul Entrapment spell to fill confinement to worry about leveling!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 16 2019, 03:39 AM
Post #23

Vagabond

QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 15 2019, 09:24 PM) *
Last night I only made two levels. I was too busy using my newly acquired Soul Entrapment spell to fill confinement to worry about leveling!

ok.gif

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 16 2019, 09:04 PM
Post #24

Fighter

My confinement now holds at least one of every level 1 monster except Aboleth, and every level 2 monster except Slave Driver. Next I need to find a Purple Ooze - not for confinement, but for my latest Scavenger quest.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 17 2019, 12:08 PM
Post #25

Vagabond

QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 16 2019, 04:04 PM) *
My confinement now holds at least one of every level 1 monster except Aboleth, and every level 2 monster except Slave Driver. Next I need to find a Purple Ooze - not for confinement, but for my latest Scavenger quest.

Nice!

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 27 2019, 01:53 AM
Post #26

Fighter

Aelric suffered his first death last night. He had almost died a few minutes earlier. During combat in the lake on 7, I noticed that his hits had fallen to around 20! I immediately backed out and healed before completing the encounter. A few minutes later he pinned and headed back up. As usual, when I got to 4 I found it had repopped. Instead of taking time to kill everything, I just ran through all the rooms, ignoring monsters. In retrospect, I wish I had taken time to stop and kill the Nastrums. They apparently stoned me. I quickly ran my Healer down to 4 and resurrected Aelric, who appears to have suffered no permanent damage beyond a few weeks of aging.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Jan 27 2019, 09:13 AM
Post #27

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

Ouch, to think he survived all of that just to be felled by an unlucky roll back to the surface.

Doesn't stoning automatically cause one point of constitution loss when being resurrected? Or is that only when the Morgue performs it?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Feb 8 2019, 10:27 PM
Post #28

Fighter

Aelric has reached his medium-term goals - level 91 in Scavenger, Warrior, Mage, and Sorcerer and level 85 in Nomad. He's been running levels 4-7 of the dungeon. Level 7 is still rough - he rarely gets all five swings with the Cross of Commanding, and he has to heal a lot. He also doesn't have the boxing skill to disarm traps reliably on 7.

He has been running without companions. I never did find a companion that was easy to keep alive. Now that his charm costs are lower maybe I'll have to see if I can find some monsters to use as disposable companions.

I've re-equipped him to resume levelling in Scavenger. His strength, dexterity, and defense are much higher as a Scavenger, and he'll do more damage with the Dominator, so I'm expecting level 7 to easier now. It will be nice to start gaining hit points again, as well as reducing the cost of COO.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Feb 9 2019, 03:23 AM
Post #29

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

QUOTE (Roland @ Feb 8 2019, 05:27 PM) *
Aelric has reached his medium-term goals - level 91 in Scavenger, Warrior, Mage, and Sorcerer and level 85 in Nomad. He's been running levels 4-7 of the dungeon. Level 7 is still rough - he rarely gets all five swings with the Cross of Commanding, and he has to heal a lot. He also doesn't have the boxing skill to disarm traps reliably on 7.

He has been running without companions. I never did find a companion that was easy to keep alive. Now that his charm costs are lower maybe I'll have to see if I can find some monsters to use as disposable companions.

I've re-equipped him to resume levelling in Scavenger. His strength, dexterity, and defense are much higher as a Scavenger, and he'll do more damage with the Dominator, so I'm expecting level 7 to easier now. It will be nice to start gaining hit points again, as well as reducing the cost of COO.

If you're on 7, try for Butchers and Champions. No companions stay alive very long, but with a Mage, it's easy to get new ones.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Feb 9 2019, 04:22 AM
Post #30

Fighter

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Feb 8 2019, 10:23 PM) *
If you're on 7, try for Butchers and Champions. No companions stay alive very long, but with a Mage, it's easy to get new ones.

Aelric already took out the Butcher once. One charge from a Static Sash softened him up nicely!

As for companions, I've had pretty good luck keeping Lamurian Warriors and Golden Eagles alive - they tend to last until I run into Magi Lord. But it will be a while yet before Aelric can find companions of that caliber. Witches look like they might be tough enough to last a while - and if not, they're common enough to replace easily.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Feb 9 2019, 08:39 PM
Post #31

Fire Master

I meant grab a Butcher as a companion. Or Champions. Both have high HP and Defense, though not many resists. (This is why companions are so frail in general.)

You might have to damage them a bit before Soul Entrapment will work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Feb 10 2019, 02:48 AM
Post #32

Fighter

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Feb 9 2019, 03:39 PM) *
I meant grab a Butcher as a companion. Or Champions. Both have high HP and Defense, though not many resists. (This is why companions are so frail in general.)

You might have to damage them a bit before Soul Entrapment will work.

Thanks for the tip. It did not occur to me that the Butcher might be charmable since most bosses have Charm Resistance (including both of the others on level 7).

+Quote Post
Roland
post Feb 20 2019, 08:51 PM
Post #33

Fighter

Over the past week or two, Aelric has reached 129 in Scavenger, 105 in Nomad, and 109 in Warrior. Levels in the latter two guilds came quickly enough that I was pinning on 5 and 6 without having to go down to 7, so I haven't had occasion to encounter the Butcher or a Champion. The extra Nomad levels earned access to the Medallion of Dragons, which gives Aelric enough charisma to cast Soul Entrapment without having to resort to Twisted Bracers. If he has spell points left at the end of a run he often grabs a monster or two to sell to Confinement. More than once, Confinement has helped him with a tough monster quest.

Combat goes pretty fast when you're taking three swings with a Dominator - faster, I would say, than five swings with a Cross of Commanding, as long as you don't run deeper than 6. When I return to Scavenger, I might give the Mithril Axe a try.

Now back to the spellcasting guilds, but not for long. Levels in those guilds just come too slowly, so I don't want to spend much time in them just now. I'll be aiming at 95 in Mage (just +4 levels) and 111 in Sorcerer (+20 levels). Those are new-item levels, so it will allow me to move some mid-level items back into storage and clear up space in the bank. Right now I need to keep a lot of items handy because he can use items two levels higher as a Nomad than as a Sorcerer.

Currently at 489 hits and 485 million gold. I think that makes him richer than any of my high-level characters! He's also been stockpiling items that my high-level party can use, like Bells of Kwalish and Scrolls of Spells.

As a Nomad, Aelric is now eligible to use some high-level items that I have not yet found (Scarab of Life, Cloak of Enchantment). I think it will soon be time to take a break from the solo Morloch and resume running my high-level party. I might take a hint from fischsemmel and focus on finding Blessings. So far I've only found two, and those came a long time ago. Maybe I need to run a bit shallower to find them, or just cast a lot of Ethereal Portals to get to the isolated corners where Mythicals lurk.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Feb 21 2019, 08:00 PM
Post #34

Fighter

Aelric suffered his second death last night - stoned by Medusa. I brought my high-level party down to patch him up, and they continued their run until all three had enough experience to level. Then I resumed Aelric's run.

The Cross of Commanding seems to be doing more damage now - those extra Warrior levels must be helping, along with the +15 attack from extra Nomad levels.

I was able to charm a Butcher and get back to town with him. After surviving a blow from my Cross, I don't think he took a single point of damage. I think he'll do nicely as a companion!

+Quote Post
Roland
post Mar 11 2019, 01:51 AM
Post #35

Fighter

Current stats:

Scavenger 155
Warrior 135
Nomad 125
Sorcerer 115
Mage 105

Hits: 531
Gold: 730 million

Warrior and Nomad levels were coming pretty fast wielding the Avenger. Now returning to the spellcasting guilds. Even with a Vampire Fang, I'm afraid this could get really grindy. Probably time to start burning sashes and spheres.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Mar 11 2019, 07:05 PM
Post #36

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

You've certainly come a long way with Aelric. What dungeon level is he able to survive on with those stats and levels?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Mar 12 2019, 01:52 AM
Post #37

Fighter

I haven't really tested how deep he can survive. I think 8 is the deepest he has ventured so far, and he was in no real danger there. He levels so fast in the fighting guilds that there has not been a good reason to go deeper than 7.

I'm not sure what strategy to use while leveling in Mage and Sorcerer. The experience demands will be greater, but his defense will be much lower. So I'll probably run a little deeper and burn some charges off my stockpiles of Static and Magenta Sashes to compensate.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Mar 12 2019, 02:10 AM
Post #38

Fire Master

Use your element spells against any medium+ size group once they've reached minimum cost. Which is to say Disease and possibly Acid Spray. You'll level very fast. Use the sashes too, yeah.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Apr 13 2019, 02:03 AM
Post #39

Fighter

I took Aelric up to 125 in Mage and 145 in Sorcerer. Now I'm taking a break from him to work on my high-level party.

+Quote Post
Roland
post May 25 2019, 08:43 PM
Post #40

Fighter

After reaching my level goals with my high-level party, I've resumed running Aelric. After a few levels each of Nomad and Warrior, I'm now working on Scavenger.

Aelric now has over 1 billion gold in the bank! He is still making most of his experience on 7, but he usually clears a few rooms on 8 before pinning. Once, late at night, running on auto-pilot, I accidentally took the chute down to 10. I had to plot the route carefully, but Aelric was in no real danger.

He bought a Guardian from the store and bound it for life with a charge from OOLD. Guardian has the highest defense of any charmable monster, plus 50% resistance to a lot of things, so I thought it was worth a shot. But it can soak up a lot of healing after encounters with monsters that use spells or breath weapons - e.g., Ice Demons.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2019 - 03:07 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits