IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone willing to create a open source mordor project?
Downloader
post Aug 12 2017, 08:53 PM
Post #1

Student

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,723
referrer:Searching Mordor 2 The Darkness Awakeing trought net

There were 5-6 attempts to make a Mordor clone as seen in this forum but they all died miserably even though some projects were years in development.
I think that we should blame proprietary code, if it was open source I'm sure someone would be willing to keep the project alive.

So I have been thinking, why don't we create a new project on Github? In fact I already did and already have some 25 pages of documentation and several editors(map, character,creature editor etc..) that were coded in java for testing purposes. My main goal was to first experiment with java applets then migrate to android.
I even started learning java specifically so I can make my own Mordor clone and I'm still a beginner although I made few applets in my free time.

Anyway is anyone willing to help out? Not for the money or fame, but for learning and being creative. You don't even need to know how to code, you can always submit art (even free one that you find online) , ideas , storyline , recommendations and even things like spell/creature names and types, formulas for fighting, hit points , improving documentation....

Note that the game and code will be free and open source with no ads. There will be no money out of it.

Additional info: Since I'm aiming to make app as less resource intensive I will be using Android studio with LibGDX(2D for map and maybe later 3D for dungeon) and Swing for desktop editors (map editor, creature editor etc..)

This post has been edited by Downloader: Aug 17 2017, 12:59 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ghezra
post Aug 15 2017, 09:54 PM
Post #2

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,733
referrer:Other forums (Bay 12 games)

Although I don't plan on helping because I'm one of those people who plan on coding my own game, I want to +1 the idea you have about open sourcing a persistance dungeon game much like how there are tons of open source rogue-likes.

+Quote Post
Downloader
post Aug 17 2017, 01:25 AM
Post #3

Student

Thanks for the thumbs up smile.gif

+Quote Post
lorduhr
post Mar 4 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #4

Apprentice

Member No.: 8,590
referrer:euh, google?

just curious, assuming someone does an open source version of Mordor on github, what are the implications, from a legal stand point?

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Mar 7 2018, 02:42 AM
Post #5

Vagabond

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (lorduhr @ Mar 4 2018, 11:16 AM) *
just curious, assuming someone does an open source version of Mordor on github, what are the implications, from a legal stand point?

Don't call it Mordor and don't use any of the game assets and you should be good.
Mathematical formulas and game feel can't be copyrighted. For example Mordor is a clone of Avatar.

+Quote Post
lorduhr
post Mar 10 2018, 07:51 AM
Post #6

Apprentice

QUOTE (Mordion @ Mar 7 2018, 03:42 AM) *
Don't call it Mordor and don't use any of the game assets and you should be good.
Mathematical formulas and game feel can't be copyrighted. For example Mordor is a clone of Avatar.

What about the dungeon layout, the item/spell/monster statistics and names?

+Quote Post
korexus
post Mar 17 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #7

Explorer

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

QUOTE (lorduhr @ Mar 10 2018, 07:51 AM) *
What about the dungeon layout, the item/spell/monster statistics and names?

(I'm not a lawyer)

Dungeon layout, I would say, comes under the assets section. - The mazes are original creations, and level 2 is even signed!

Items, spells and monsters are more of a grey area. No-one will complain about you having an iron sword, a fireball spell or goblins in your game, but a Mace of Kordul, Precognitive Death or Gibbering Yethwa would all be more obviously lifted from Mordor.

A mathematical formula can't be copyrighted, but I think it's application can be. (Otherwise, as all software can be expressed formulaically, you could argue that no software can be copyrighted.) Personally, I wouldn't bother reusing the Mordor formulae anyway. They're quite complicated, and a lot of the fun of building a game is in finding the right balances for the way you want it to play.

Last time I looked at doing something like this, I started with a lot of Mordor things - including items, monsters, and pictures - because that allowed by to see what was happening while I was working out the early steps. Then I replaced out the images, changed names and so on. Of course, that wasn't as part of an open source project; as the only person seeing my project I had more freedom over what was in it. I also never finished that project...

You may also want to check out this thread. Both because it's got DA himself saying people should do this stuff, and because there's some discussion of the IP in Mordor.

korexus.

+Quote Post
cybertim
post Mar 22 2018, 11:16 AM
Post #8

Student

Member No.: 6,523
referrer:google

Maybe this will help.
I saved this repository from code.google, it has been the only Mordor Clone I've found that was opensource.
It is unfinished tho, but it is great to study the code if you are planning to start your own.
Maybe even use it? It's also in Java.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Mar 22 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #9

Fighter

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (korexus @ Mar 17 2018, 05:11 PM) *
Items, spells and monsters are more of a grey area. No-one will complain about you having an iron sword, a fireball spell or goblins in your game, but a Mace of Kordul, Precognitive Death or Gibbering Yethwa would all be more obviously lifted from Mordor.

At least 90% of the item and spell names in Mordor come from Avatar, as do all the races and guilds (though Mordor did not pick up the Cirilian race). Precognitive Death comes from Avatar, as do Spectral Shield, Shadow Axe, and Vampire Fang, for example. Of course, Avatar continued to evolve after my playing days, so I might not know about all the Mordor-Avatar connections.

You'll need to avoid the "Mordor" name, not so much because of DA but because of the Tolkien estate.

You can find lots of Avatar info here: https://heavyharmonies.com/Avatar/

And you can actually play Avatar on-line via cyber1: https://www.cyber1.org/

+Quote Post
Preude
post Mar 23 2018, 05:00 AM
Post #10

Apprentice

Member No.: 8,600
referrer:Knew about the site for many years.

I used to program in the old days (around when Mordor was created). If you were wanting to make a video game, like Mordor, there isn't a whole lot of different code available. Nowadays, you have several different variables to determine loot, drops, exp, etc. Back then it was pretty much random. So the code was VERY basic. Long story short, using the same coding as Mordor is not a breach of copyright law. However, using the same sprites is. You would have to develop your own sprites for walls, doors, monsters, city GUI, player GUI, etc. Hope this helps! (I was working on a RPG from scratch at 15yrs old).

This post has been edited by Preude: Mar 23 2018, 05:01 AM

+Quote Post
Preude
post Mar 23 2018, 05:12 AM
Post #11

Apprentice

Member No.: 8,600
referrer:Knew about the site for many years.

QUOTE (Roland @ Mar 22 2018, 06:07 PM) *
At least 90% of the item and spell names in Mordor come from Avatar, as do all the races and guilds (though Mordor did not pick up the Cirilian race). Precognitive Death comes from Avatar, as do Spectral Shield, Shadow Axe, and Vampire Fang, for example. Of course, Avatar continued to evolve after my playing days, so I might not know about all the Mordor-Avatar connections.

You'll need to avoid the "Mordor" name, not so much because of DA but because of the Tolkien estate.

You can find lots of Avatar info here: https://heavyharmonies.com/Avatar/

And you can actually play Avatar on-line via cyber1: https://www.cyber1.org/

Never heard of Avatar until now. Lord of the Rings was written in 1937. The game Mordor was based from the books, so, in order of timelines, Avatar still took from LoTR. BTW - Most RPG, MMORPG, and even table top (D&D and Warhammer) heavily use influence from LoTR.

+Quote Post
Downloader
post Mar 27 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #12

Student

I love how the thread was inactive for months and suddenly boom.

Btw I worked for a few months (<3) and stopped sad.gif
College just takes too much time now sad.gif

+Quote Post
lorduhr
post Apr 1 2018, 06:52 AM
Post #13

Apprentice

well, this is clearly a larger project than one might expect. At first sight, it is just some data with a really simple interface, but soon, there are many things that will need a lot of work. It looks like David Allen did an impressive job back then.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2019 - 03:16 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits