AlephFish
post Apr 15 2010, 07:40 PM
Post #21

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,246
referrer:Google-fu

QUOTE (sabertoothdw @ Apr 15 2010, 09:09 AM) *
so how do i make it work on a 64x system?

Microsoft doesn't have 16-bit program support in their 64-bit OSes. What I imagine is your best bet to do is emulate an older version of windows and boot that up whenever you want to play. What I was doing was running it on an unsupported version of Virtual PC (Virtual PC 2007) since it still runs on Windows 7 and didn't require me to upgrade beyond home premium to use. I installed an old version of Windows 98 onto the virtual machine and that did the job as far as running it goes. What I've done now though is upgraded to ultimate for language reasons and installed the newer virtual machine with XP mode. This does the job as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Honatuto
post Sep 29 2010, 12:11 AM
Post #22

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,418
referrer:Own the game, needed help, google search.

Hey, just re-downloaded off an old, old CD I had way, way back in the days of middle school. Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit... and I'm suffering the same problem as was mentioned up a few posts - namely, I can do everything until I enter the dungeon, where none of the dungeon buttons will respond at all. Including "exit." Which is a pain, given that I ultimately can't CLOSE Mordor until I fiddle around in control panel and shut it down.

Setting Mordor.exe to run in Windows XP service pack 3 compatibility mode didn't help that problem, either.

Any suggestions? :/

+Quote Post
Xaphania
post Oct 3 2010, 02:39 PM
Post #23

Explorer

Member No.: 2,960
referrer:I have my sources, most of them too simple for you to comprehend

QUOTE (Honatuto @ Sep 29 2010, 01:11 AM) *
Hey, just re-downloaded off an old, old CD I had way, way back in the days of middle school. Windows 7 Home Premium, 32 bit... and I'm suffering the same problem as was mentioned up a few posts - namely, I can do everything until I enter the dungeon, where none of the dungeon buttons will respond at all. Including "exit." Which is a pain, given that I ultimately can't CLOSE Mordor until I fiddle around in control panel and shut it down.

Setting Mordor.exe to run in Windows XP service pack 3 compatibility mode didn't help that problem, either.

Any suggestions? :/

Turn off uac (user account control), if you're having problems try googling it or asking microsoft help. I forget how exactly you do it dntknw.gif

--------------------
Iv're Sh'krina Nemos, Iv're Quentos Sh'krina Nemostes Diamante

Ede - Equ'st Equ'st

Div ' Niada Sh'krina

+Quote Post
aardless
post Oct 10 2010, 12:54 PM
Post #24

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Outside666 mentioned how to turn off UAC up-thread in post #16.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
bach
post Nov 24 2010, 10:44 PM
Post #25

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,408
referrer:wiki

Got it to work on windows 7 64bit, Kinda.
Installed Virtual Box, which is a free program that simulates a computer, and installed windows XP on this. Installed Mordor and it worked. Took abit to get familiar with Virtual Box but after that it was pretty straight forward....
Hope it helps someone...

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Feb 24 2011, 03:25 AM
Post #26

Veteran

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

So... got a new computer recently. Any way to get M1 to run on Win 7 64-bit without emulators?

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Feb 24 2011, 04:22 AM
Post #27

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

QUOTE (Danjen @ Feb 23 2011, 10:25 PM) *
So... got a new computer recently. Any way to get M1 to run on Win 7 64-bit without emulators?

I'm not speaking from experience here, but my understanding is flat-out no. It's a 16-bit app and they can't run under Win64 without emulation.

You could consider trying Windows 3.1 or 3.11 under DOSBox.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Feb 24 2011, 06:41 AM
Post #28

Veteran

I have no issues with emulating on Virtual PC, I just wasn't sure if there was a way or not.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Feb 27 2011, 05:50 PM
Post #29

QUOTE (Danjen @ Feb 24 2011, 04:25 AM) *
Well, virtualisation isn't emulation strictly speaking...
At least if you're running the same OS on guest and host you're not really emulating are you. tongue.gif

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Feb 28 2011, 02:10 AM
Post #30

Veteran

Is virtualization not emulation? I mean, if I emulated a SNES game that was on PC only, I would argue it's a form of virtualization.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Feb 28 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #31

I was being a wise goblin shaman philosopher. wink.gif If you're running the same thing inside the virtual environment as outside of it, it's not really the same thing as running two different things: it's still emulation, yet not so. Makes sense?
think.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
cainatreides
post Mar 22 2011, 02:32 AM
Post #32

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,607
referrer:My brother is also fan - He found you first.

QUOTE (Kingkirki_49 @ Sep 15 2009, 12:22 AM) *
then why do i still hear windows has 32 and 64 bit and not 8mb or 8 gig?

I just had to join that discussion!
The thing is, computers use a binary language. Either the power is on (1) or the power is of (0). if you have to count to five with four bits, then: zero=0000 one=0001 two=0010 three=0011 four=0100 five=0101 etc. So when you have a processor with 32 bits, then the highest number you can count to is (2^32 - 1) = 4,294,967,295 (the -1 is because zero uses one of the combinations).
So. A 32-bit computer will only be able to access about 4 billion memory adresses. If you want more than 4 GB of RAM, then you need to expand with more bits!. With 64 bit processors, you could theoretically have 4 x 4294967295 GB of RAM!!!

My point is, unless your games requires 16 billion GB of RAM, then there is no need to develop a 128-bit processor. Not to mention 8Mb blink.gif - I dare not calculate the amount of RAM you could install :o

Anyways, a 32-bit PC running Windows could only ever handle 3GB of RAM (something about certain memory addresses being reserved for other neccessary hardware than the processor) and upgrading to 64-bit was the only reasonable solution.

Concerning compatibility? Well, if the 32-bit "machine instruction" reading 10010010101010010101001111011001 tells the processor to set (binary value) 10101001111011001 into somebody's bankaccount, then what do you think would happen if somebody tried to submit a 16-bit instruction into that processor? 10010010101010010000000000000000 might just tell the processor to delete all assets!
So THAT's why we suffer from incompatibilities!
Emulators and compatibility-algorithms could tell the machine how to handle instructions with different bit-lengths, but there is only so much you can do.

I think I can safely state, that the very programming code uded to create Mordor, does no longer exist. Sure, modern programming languages were built upon the language Mordor was written in, but so much in the language has changed, that I will claim: "THAT programming language no longer exists". That is, there are no processors that can handle the disorganized instructions used to piece together our old favorite games huh.gif

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Mar 22 2011, 03:09 AM
Post #33

Veteran

VB4? You can totally find old versions of old programming languages on the net.

And actually, the language itself is fine (aside from the occasional functionality breaks when upgrading from VB4 to whatever VB is current now), because it is actually the compiled code that is broken. That is, the machine instructions don't function because the machines are upgraded, but the original code still is fine.

Now, whether DA or Decklin still have the source is another matter altogether.

+Quote Post
kuuhaku
post May 15 2011, 04:04 AM
Post #34

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,671
referrer:google

seriously guys...I read everything and couldn't find some solution to this problem on windows 64 bits...

dispite trying to instal or running the no-install game, it tell me to see if I have to use the 32 or 64 bits in my opperational system and ask the software creator to help...

can anyone help?

+Quote Post
Danjen
post May 15 2011, 07:48 AM
Post #35

Veteran

Well, ya didn't.

Mordor runs in 16 bit, which is supported on 32 bit, but not 64 bit, which makes it sound like you have a 64 bit system.
This means you can't run Mordor natively, so you have to look for an alternative like dosbox.

+Quote Post
aardless
post May 28 2011, 08:08 PM
Post #36

Or VirtualBox see the stickied tutorial. However if you have Win 7 professional, or whatever it's called, you should have a VirtualPC virtual machine with WinXP 32 bits on, which should work just great.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th July 2019 - 11:01 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits