IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dungeon-crawling tips and tricks (semi-spoilers)
merithiel
post Jun 7 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #21

Journeyman

Group: Members
Member No.: 73
referrer:Some other Mordor 1 forum.

It is even more annoying casting those REsist spells if you have a 4 person party happy.gif

It still takes a while with 2 chars.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 8 2005, 12:39 AM
Post #22

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Some people have used keyboard macro programs to speed up the casting of resistances, as discussed in this thread.

I cast 4 spells on each of my 3 characters before I go down, which isn't all that time-consuming, especially 'cause I type it in instead of using the mouse.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jun 8 2005, 08:24 AM
Post #23

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

QUOTE (BeefontheBone @ Jun 7 2005, 11:30 PM)
Being a bit of a newbie, my only contribution to this is about buffering Ethereal Portal - why bother? You're not going to use it over and over, and how much effort is it to press C-E-T-H-Enter, or just C-Enter if it was the last spell you cast?

I use the keys only occasionally, mostly C+Enter (didn't know about C-E-T-H-Enter), so my view may be skewed, but there's a few situations where Ethereal Portal is all that stands between your party and annihilation. When you risk death in one round, the fewer keys you have to stroke the better.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Anthus
post Jun 8 2005, 01:27 PM
Post #24

Voyager

Member No.: 24
referrer:still hanging on from Slimey's

Isn't Ethereal Portal a non-combat spell? The only way that I can see it would be life-and-death is if you have a character with 2 HP and poisoned. In that situation, I think your healer would be more useful!

Anyways, c-e-t-<CR> is usually enough for me, which is only four keystrokes, and it saves by having me press only one key at a time and not having to lift my hand to the top row. Really, I think it's quite worth the risk to not accidentally rock your entire party when you're trying to cast "restrain" (I only picked that as an example because it's a mage spell and I don't use it often enough to remember where it's buffered.)

Speaking of:
Has anyone ever figured out what the difference is between the different control spells? DA doesn't give us any numbers, just stronger wording. I'd like to know whether there's always a most efficient one to use (as in minor/heal/restoration), or whether it depends on the monster.

--------------------
I'm Anthus, and I approve of this message.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 8 2005, 08:09 PM
Post #25

Fire Master

If memory serves, the higher-level Bind spells will allow you to achieve a higher Binding (from 8 for Control up to 14 for Domination, if I remember correctly). I don't remember if they're more effective in any other respect.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ninja
post Nov 26 2005, 05:53 PM
Post #26

Gladiator

From: Somewhere next to over there...well, technically, Cyberspace
Member No.: 704
referrer:A search on Yahoo! for Mordor (the game)

Well, I've yet to get anyone above level 40 in anything (lack of effort (and my desire to kill everything)) and then when (my last attempt) I sent my main character down into the dungeon, and then OMG! I guessed the co-ords wrong (only 1 off) and ended up 1 square to the left of the stairs on level 3 (to level 2) in rock. After a huge long strectch (and a bit of cheating) i managed to get one of my characters high enough to cast the spell (that my rocked char could cast already, oh the irony) but this took too long, and so I gained 20 years, lost at least 3 of each stat and I hadn't backed up in months.

And that was without the levelling route, but now I'm starting over, sending 1 char down as a tester to collect Tomes etc. before I go for the big party approach. Does anyone know what the best levelling route is, or is this a huge debate. I intend to have 3 characters, a Seeker/Healer, a Warrior/Sorcerer and a Sorcerer/Seeker, I prefer having those 3 guilds, and I try and become members of as much as possible, if not to cut down SP usage. This could be a great help.
No rush, I'm only on level 1 with 45hp and level 7 Nomad with my tester.

--------------------
I am Ninja. One day, I shall rule the world.
Ninja Software - the official site of the unofficial company (new theme(s) coming soon)

"Programmers don't die, they just GOSUB without RETURN."

Winner-by-default of the December 2005 Map Contest - Results (clinging onto the last shreds of glory...)

+Quote Post
Duvel
post Nov 30 2005, 04:01 PM
Post #27

Wanderer

Member No.: 614
referrer:Google

QUOTE (usc_ninja the avid mordorian @ Nov 26 2005, 07:53 PM)
Does anyone know what the best levelling route is, or is this a huge debate.

Well the best HP route is a link in the main screen here on Braindead's. As to which party/guilds combo's are best.... the jury's still out I guess smile.gif

Cheers !

Duvel

--------------------
"When I raise my flashing sword, and my hand takes hold on judgment, I will take vengeance upon mine enemies, and I will repay those who haze me. Oh, Lord, raise me to Thy right hand and count me among Thy saints"

And now that my party has been build (good/neutral party)
"Never shall innocent blood be shed. Yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God. "

Il Duce - The Boondock Saints

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Nov 30 2005, 04:06 PM
Post #28

Weapons Master

Member No.: 683
referrer:gazed into my crystal ball, which happens to be named Google...

I would strongly suggest you add some thief to one of your party members, you can't beat 3 SP CoO, IMHO. Would really suck to trigger every low level (10-15) trap trying to get loot.

--------------------
Illuminatus

+Quote Post
Katanaboy
post Dec 1 2005, 06:16 AM
Post #29

Voyager

Member No.: 636
referrer:Google search

Yes, Thief is mandatory in my opinion. It really sucks not being able to open things, and it's also not too nice to have everything of worth stolen from you either.

--------------------
user posted image

+Quote Post
Painbringer
post Dec 1 2005, 06:15 PM
Post #30

Adventurer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 373
referrer:lot of search

Yeah, that's true... Thieves are really useful.

Don't make two Seekers... nor two sorcerers...

I use a 3member party that consists of: Warrior/Seeker and some lvles of other guilds...
Healer/Wizard
Thief/Scavenger

it absolutely ROCKS!!!

This post has been edited by Painbringer: Dec 1 2005, 06:15 PM

--------------------
Stranger, go back to Sparta and tell our people that we who were slain obeyed the code.

+Quote Post
Captain
post Dec 2 2005, 02:14 AM
Post #31

Soldier

Member No.: 197
referrer:The magic of google...

Thief/Scavenger??? Methinks Thief/Warrior would be better... It would be less redundant.

--------------------
"These humans all suck. I'd rather be home feeling violent and lonely."

"Idle hands spend time at the genitals, and you know how much God hates that." - Old Drippy

"They asked me if I wanted to search for intelligent life out there... I told them I was still searching for it here."

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 2 2005, 02:34 AM
Post #32

Fire Master

Unless the Thief is an Osiri, in which case the best fighting guild available would be Seeker. Don't worry about the redundancies from having two Seekers; it's still less redundant than having one character be a Scavenger/Thief.

--------------------

+Quote Post
slimboy76
post Dec 2 2005, 05:33 AM
Post #33

Teacher

Member No.: 521
referrer:search via google

QUOTE (Painbringer @ Dec 2 2005, 01:15 AM)
Don't make two Seekers... nor two sorcerers...

I agree with nudibranch, i also have two seekers
osiri thief/seeker
elf paladin/mage/seeker
having two seeker actually have some advantages, when one of em die, and your healer doesn't have sp for ressurecting him/her, the other seeker came handy on terms mapping out the dungeon or moving and finding characters around the dungeon.

This post has been edited by slimboy76: Dec 2 2005, 05:34 AM

--------------------
"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times."
-- Mark Twain.

"I say no to drugs, but they don't listen."
- Marilyn Manson

+Quote Post
Keltosh
post Dec 2 2005, 06:53 AM
Post #34

Adventurer

Member No.: 3

QUOTE (slimboy76 @ Dec 2 2005, 07:33 AM)
having two seeker actually have some advantages, when one of em die, and your healer doesn't have sp for ressurecting him/her, the other seeker came handy on terms mapping out the dungeon or moving and finding characters around the dungeon.

Well, considering I delete dead characters, that's not realy an issue for me. Still, my osiri kinda sucks at fighting, so I'm considering leveling up the seeker just to bring up my fighting capabilities. Given the premises, my characters need to be complete. smile.gif
Unfortunately... my good gnome... will have to bring up paladin.. and all those quests.. sigh.

--------------------
"You know you’ve played too much Mordor when you start taking it personal." - Grog

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Dec 2 2005, 01:07 PM
Post #35

Weapons Master

Member No.: 683
referrer:gazed into my crystal ball, which happens to be named Google...

When forming a party, I always have AT LEAST two seekers, for one I always have a giant and an osiri, so it's kind of a given, but I find two mappers and two char's with teleport and eportal a definite advantage, especially in the lower levels. Not to mention it is nice to have someone other than your thief (in my case) with s search and displ., so you can go get him after a teleport trap whistling.gif

--------------------
Illuminatus

+Quote Post
Gutsy
post Dec 4 2005, 05:27 AM
Post #36

Gibbering Frenchman

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 782
referrer:Slimey's

Since my preferred party is only two characters, I stick with one Seeker, and if anything happens to him I just "accidentaly" use the editor to send him back to the city. I don't get rocked very often though.

--------------------
Gutsy

+Quote Post
slimboy76
post Dec 5 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #37

Teacher

Yes, using editors kinda make you little Zeus, right? I use 'em againts the bad questmaster. Anyways, to play mordor in the right way is to have good fighter, good spellcaster, good seeker and of course great thief, whatever combination of party you have.

For me, at least you must have two characters, because building solo (like i did back in 2000) is tougher than two characters or more. More characters can deal more effective than just one. My solo character died often, and when he got rocked, well i found out that a nice seeker friend would come handy.

--------------------
"Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times."
-- Mark Twain.

- Marilyn Manson

+Quote Post
unleashed
post Dec 5 2005, 09:18 AM
Post #38

Infiltrator

Member No.: 131
referrer:looked it up on google.com

i honestly do not understand why people are getting rocked?
my character can safely survive on lvl 13 and has never been rocked. not once

+Quote Post
slimboy76
post Dec 5 2005, 09:21 AM
Post #39

Teacher

Well by stupidly casting eth portal in unmap area. once i buffered that spell (before i know better) but now i am wiser.

--------------------
-- Mark Twain.

- Marilyn Manson

+Quote Post
unleashed
post Dec 5 2005, 10:48 AM
Post #40

Infiltrator

Member No.: 131
referrer:looked it up on google.com

ive buffered that as '0'.. cant press it unless im meaning to smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th June 2019 - 11:46 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits