IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording a Mordor run - solo good elf!
MythrilZenith
post Sep 24 2016, 04:29 AM
Post #41

Wanderer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

QUOTE (Grog @ Sep 23 2016, 04:54 PM) *
Anyway, can't wait for #18 -

Well wait no longer, it's up! https://youtu.be/OZ0bJYM1gL4

Yeah, I checked out what you said about charm of opening. 185 points isn't very reasonable, though...

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grog
post Sep 24 2016, 05:10 PM
Post #42

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

^True...

...but if you ever found a locked chest that you just had to open, you could run up to the city to restore your 225 spell points, then run back down and cast charm of opening.

Not the most elegant way to play, but it works.

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Oct 7 2016, 09:33 PM
Post #43

Wanderer

Episode 19 is finalizing right now, hot off the presses! Catch it here when it's done: https://youtu.be/YyA_DmnuxBY

Oh, fast leveling, how I've missed you!

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Oct 7 2017, 03:47 AM
Post #44

Wanderer

I'm back! And I've been recording on and off here and there. Up to 24 episodes now!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAFsblIuh7w

I've been thinking of doing more focused, informational Mordor videos. For instance, brief but precise info videos on simple topics, such as:
-What is the OLR and why does it work the way it does?
-Tricks/routes for faster leveling at low/mid/high levels
-How to set up a fresh install for legacy characters

Would there be interest in videos like these? And what topics would you like to see covered? I know I'm not the best person for everything, but I know a decent amount and have the capability to share that knowledge with others.

I also know that a lot of that info is available on this site, but sometimes text can only explain so much, so this would sort of supplement and give examples of the material here.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Oct 7 2017, 03:49 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
cartmann
post Oct 9 2017, 11:59 AM
Post #45

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,666
referrer:Already knew the game

Hey MithrilZenith

I feel that a quick video on cleaning up the Mordor data files for a clean legacy char install would be nice, but perhaps totally redundant.
I mean, to even play Mordor in the first place, you've got to get DOSBox running an old windows or you have to set up a VM. If you're capable of that, then the backing up and deletion of a few files isn't totally out of reach.

The OLR, well I wouldn't like to say to be honest, I personally prefer to read all the knowledge about the game rather than watch/listen to someone talk about it, but my opinion shouldn't stop you!

And good levelling routes/spots for low/mid/high sounds absolutely spot on, I'd love to see it, along with some dungeon-level specific hints (such as monsters requiring a companion to be killed etc.)

Welcome back and thanks for all your videos, I do enjoy them! I'm yet to watch 24 all the way but nonetheless, glad to see more biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
sneroplex
post Oct 10 2017, 04:13 PM
Post #46

Drifter

Member No.: 609
referrer:Once you discover Mordor, there will always be Mordor.

Welcome back! I finally watched one of your videos (the most recent one) and got a kick out of it. Good stuff!

It's been some time since you started this and asked for tips, but since I'm running a Good Elf in my current party that's made it to the end I'll share my thoughts.

The main strength of an Elf is that they have the highest spell points pool and can join every magic guild. I think you should try and leverage this and lead with a magic guild. Sorcerer is very powerful from early on and throughout the whole game, you really can't go wrong with them - the only drawback is that the last boss is resistant to their spells. Wizard is also very strong but takes a little while longer to match the efficiency of Sorcerers, but I do think they're stronger in the end game as they have full Mind and Damage schools and can kill everything. Also movement spells and cheap teleport are very handy.

So I would either take Sorc to the end OR to take it to 79 for minimum cost resistances and level Wizard from then on.

Take Mage to 95 or 175 for heals and access to Soul Entrapment. Pretty useful to have, especially the healing. 95 gives you access to mage cubes I believe, and 175 is minimum cost Heal spell.

Then you'll have a support guild in the form of Paladin for melee or Scavenger for thieving. I think the choice is up to you, I usually like to run a thieving character so you gain XP from disarming traps and so you hold on to your gold and items, and don't miss out on loot. Elf Paladins aren't all that strong due to the low strength and small size, you would probably find yourself relying on spells for killing most things - even if you do level Paladin significantly higher than your magic guilds. You could run both but it'll take longer. Maybe take Scavenger to 195 for minimum cost Charm of Opening then go Paladin until max A/D.

I've never ran a solo character to the end but I don't see why an Elf can't do it, might just have to grind more than other characters.

--------------------
Boromir said it best: "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume."

+Quote Post
Roland
post Oct 10 2017, 07:57 PM
Post #47

Fighter

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (sneroplex @ Oct 10 2017, 12:13 PM) *
So I would either take Sorc to the end OR to take it to 79 for minimum cost resistances and level Wizard from then on.

Take Mage to 95 or 175 for heals and access to Soul Entrapment. Pretty useful to have, especially the healing. 95 gives you access to mage cubes I believe, and 175 is minimum cost Heal spell.

Sorceror's resistance spells reach minimum cost at 91. Mage's heal spells reach minimum cost at 177.

Otherwise, sneroplex's advice for configuring a solo Good Elf all sounds reasonable to me.

+Quote Post
sneroplex
post Oct 10 2017, 08:41 PM
Post #48

Drifter

QUOTE (Roland @ Oct 10 2017, 02:57 PM) *
Sorceror's resistance spells reach minimum cost at 91. Mage's heal spells reach minimum cost at 177.

Otherwise, sneroplex's advice for configuring a solo Good Elf all sounds reasonable to me.

Right you are, friend. I came back to edit my post to Sorcerer 91 and Mage 177 but you beat me to it smile.gif

--------------------
Boromir said it best: "One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume."

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Oct 12 2017, 05:40 AM
Post #49

Wanderer

Either way, looks like I have a million years of grinding ahead of me!

I'll probably stop making videos of every single run, and just do new ones when I'm about to hit some new landmark or start some new thing like a new class or going to a new floor. I've never gotten any character that high level in a single class, even in a party of 4, and the deepest I've ever hit the dungeon (on purpose) is around level 12 - I distinctly remember exploring the massive lake and then stumbling into a teleporter and then everyone got lost and died alone. disappointed.gif

That was my last install, which I lost after moving computers and the like. This current install I've had since before starting the videos, and is still going strong. I'm leading with a party that's just starting to hit level 100 in their main guilds, and just explored pretty much all of level 8 quite comfortably (except for when I ran into ninjas in an anti-magic square).

Still, thanks for the tips! Even when I take a break, i still come back to this game just about every year and pick up where I left off. I might be far older than my characters by the time I delve the depths of floor 15, but one day I will. I love this game too much not to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
sneroplex
post Oct 12 2017, 01:56 PM
Post #50

Drifter

I know what you mean. This summer I had free time to play Mordor and decided to go as far as I could. I ended up blitzing the end with a 4-man party with their main guilds around level 250 and support guilds just over level 200 to cover all the bases. They clocked just over 100 hours.

Mind you I wasn't making videos at the time so it went pretty fast laugh.gif.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Dec 10 2017, 01:56 AM
Post #51

Wanderer

Well, I'm up to... 29 parts? Really? Wow this has been going on for awhile.

https://youtu.be/viQnYN6Sjdw

Currently only up to 86 mage, 43 scav, 39 nomad, 41 wiz, ~40 sorcerer. I was blitzing mage for awhile but I switched to sorc to try and drop my res costs before going deeper. Right now I'm able to farm floor 5 fairly effectively, and I should be able to survive most of 6. I might end up farming the lake on 7 as a primary exp source once my Leprosy hits minimum cost.

Any suggestions on what order I should do things? Your advice on what level to bring mage and sorc to have been really helpful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 10 2017, 03:06 AM
Post #52

Fighter

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Dec 9 2017, 08:56 PM) *
Currently only up to 86 mage, 43 scav, 39 nomad, 41 wiz, ~40 sorcerer. I was blitzing mage for awhile but I switched to sorc to try and drop my res costs before going deeper. Right now I'm able to farm floor 5 fairly effectively, and I should be able to survive most of 6. I might end up farming the lake on 7 as a primary exp source once my Leprosy hits minimum cost.

Any suggestions on what order I should do things? Your advice on what level to bring mage and sorc to have been really helpful.

I would take him to 45 in nomad. Nomad levels come quickly, and up through 45 they give you quick gains in att/def. He would not reach 70 defense in his other guilds until after level 100.

I would continue to 91 in mage - that will drop the cost of Flickering Doom to 7 and Summon Shade to 9. Or you could continue to level 110, which would let you equip a Mithril Dagger! A weapon with three swings and a backstab bonus will speed things up a lot! (Since daggers are not guild restricted, you would then be able to use it in all your other guilds, as well.)

You will have to take him to 75 in sorc if you want to minimize the cost of Leprosy.

If you care about the cost of Charm of Opening, continue in scavenger until at least level 59. Until that level, you will get a drop in the cost of COO every time you gain a spell level.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Dec 10 2017, 04:14 AM
Post #53

Wanderer

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 9 2017, 08:06 PM) *
I would take him to 45 in nomad. Nomad levels come quickly, and up through 45 they give you quick gains in att/def. He would not reach 70 defense in his other guilds until after level 100.

I would continue to 91 in mage - that will drop the cost of Flickering Doom to 7 and Summon Shade to 9. Or you could continue to level 110, which would let you equip a Mithril Dagger! A weapon with three swings and a backstab bonus will speed things up a lot! (Since daggers are not guild restricted, you would then be able to use it in all your other guilds, as well.)

You will have to take him to 75 in sorc if you want to minimize the cost of Leprosy.

If you care about the cost of Charm of Opening, continue in scavenger until at least level 59. Until that level, you will get a drop in the cost of COO every time you gain a spell level.

The difficulty with equipping a mithril dagger is that I have to find one first wink.gif

thanks for the tips though. I honestly don't know much about the class-specific mechanics of Mordor, like what minimum casting cost is, the levels to get it, and atk/def growth rates. Honestly though without playing in a very analytical way and crunching the numbers (or just looking at the game code) I don't know how you would ever figure this stuff out.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 12 2017, 03:51 AM
Post #54

Fighter

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Dec 9 2017, 11:14 PM) *
thanks for the tips though. I honestly don't know much about the class-specific mechanics of Mordor, like what minimum casting cost is, the levels to get it, and atk/def growth rates. Honestly though without playing in a very analytical way and crunching the numbers (or just looking at the game code) I don't know how you would ever figure this stuff out.

Most of the information I shared about spell costs came from Seth's Spell Cost Tool, v. 1.06, which you can download from this site. It is an Excel file with lots of useful data and formulae.

As an 86th-level mage, you can already use a Mithril-Shod Staff. It might make sense to wait until you find one of those and then use it to help you power-level to 110 in the mage guild. Mithril-Shod Staff and Mithril Dagger are both level 7 items.

Are you planning to level in the paladin guild? You did not mention it earlier.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Dec 30 2017, 04:17 AM
Post #55

Wanderer

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 11 2017, 08:51 PM) *
Are you planning to level in the paladin guild? You did not mention it earlier.

That was the initial plan - way back in 2014 - and I might still go for that to some extent, but seeing how I don't really need it for healing and scavenger isn't *that* much worse and I need that for minimum cost CoO anyhow, I might only delve into Paladin far enough to get the second multiple swing if at all.

Which is sad, because the whole reason I named the series "holy crusade" was because Paladin was going to be my main class, with spellcaster support levels.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 1 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #56

Fighter

You probably should not level in Paladin at all unless you are going to stick with it. The attack formula works in a perverse way. It is based on the character's level in the guild with the highest fighting ability (column E in the Guild Abilities table). The Paladin's 10 trumps the Scavenger's 7. Therefore, if you have any levels at all in Paladin, the attack formula will use your Paladin level, not your Scavenger level, when computing damage.

Since the attack formula squares the value of fighting ability, the Paladin's 10 is effectively twice as good as the Scavenger's 7.

A Scavenger's A/D doesn't reach maximum until level 522. Paladin maxes out at 430. At maximum, the Paladin's A/D is +27/+36 vis a vis the Scavenger's. That's not a huge difference, but it will take a while to get to 522 in Scavenger.

In one respect, the two guilds are complementary: Paladin gets critical hit, while Scavenger gets backstab.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Apr 16 2018, 05:12 PM
Post #57

Wanderer

QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 1 2018, 01:08 PM) *
You probably should not level in Paladin at all unless you are going to stick with it. The attack formula works in a perverse way. It is based on the character's level in the guild with the highest fighting ability (column E in the Guild Abilities table). The Paladin's 10 trumps the Scavenger's 7. Therefore, if you have any levels at all in Paladin, the attack formula will use your Paladin level, not your Scavenger level, when computing damage.

Since the attack formula squares the value of fighting ability, the Paladin's 10 is effectively twice as good as the Scavenger's 7.

This is actually VERY useful information! And something I would have no freaking way of figuring out without looking directly at the game's calculations.

I actually leveled Paladin fairly early, though only to 22 because I got caught up in leveling my mage classes. No wonder my physical damage is stuck. Looks like my leveling path is set in stone now, because I dipped into most of my available guilds.

Edit: Well, Episode 29 (29? wow) is going up right now, if anyone's still watching this. I know it's been a break of a couple months but it's nice to have something to come back to and just ramble over. https://youtu.be/NR19u2Ipz1o

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Apr 16 2018, 06:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grog
post Apr 18 2018, 02:57 PM
Post #58

Mentor

Just finished watching Game of Thrones episode #29. Cool! Keep 'em coming!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Nov 24 2018, 01:35 AM
Post #59

Wanderer

Realized I never posted that Ep 30 was up. here's 31 though! https://youtu.be/wJrZDOjYuAQ

I decided I want to level in Paladin all the way to the extra swing before rededicating myself back to mage. Not only is it faster leveling (like half the exp needed compared to a similarly-leveled magic guild), but I also feel a very noticeable difference every 10 levels or so, both in equipment available and the damage I actually do. I've started 1-shotting most mobs on level 4, which I couldn't say I was doing before. It also makes anti-magic zones less like death-traps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grog
post Nov 28 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #60

Mentor

Nice!

As you say, the game is relaxing, or calming, or something. Not boring.
If a player gets bored with Mordor, well, they've worked themselves into a strategy rut.

I don't get bored. After all these years of playing I can still learn something.
-- I had no idea that 'Goodies' could not kill Good companions. Great message ("...it's against your ways...")

This post has been edited by Grog: Jan 12 2019, 08:13 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2019 - 12:22 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits