IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> To korexus- Your homage to mordor, About a free game inspired by M1
aardless
post Dec 9 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #41

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

I haven't read everything, and if I did at some point, I've forgotten the details, so take this as coming for what's it worth. I'd give some loot to participating players who aren't on-line, about half, or a bit less, of what they'd get if they were present (think of it as absent-minded players, not paying attention to what they do, and letting more loot go to the others). I hate with a passion the concept from MMO raids that a leader hands out loot.
Round Robin is okay, but hard to implement if a player is off-line, unless the player pre-compiles a list of the types of items he/she may be interested in.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korexus
post Dec 9 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #42

Voyager

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

I've been a bit distracted with a technical problem with perl threads for the last week or so, but I think I've jst solved that, so back to functionality again!

Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't finalised this yet, but my current thoughts are leaning in the direction of realism at the moment. Here's how I see things happening:

If there are no chests then, when the last monster dies the gold is split evenly around all players in the square. They don't need to have done any damage to the monster (after all, a healer character who keeps everyone else alive is at least as useful as a fighter). They don't have to be linked as a party (two independent people who happen to find the same monster can still cooperate to kill it, share the loot afterwards then go their separate ways. And they don't have to have been present throughout the whole fight (too tricky to decide when you qualify and to track in the code.) If you are in the square when the last mosnter dies you automatically get 1/n of the gold, where n is the number of players. My justification for this is that you all scramble to loot the bodies.

If there is a chest then the player who opens the chest gets to pick stuff from it. This seems fair as that player is taking the risk of setting off the trap and realistic as people opening chests are likely to be theify types and if a theify type sees an expensive amulet in the chest then they are likely to pocket it. I am torn between automatically adding everything to the openor, or letting the player pick and choose items. The latter sounds more fun, and would let each player race to get nice items, but will be a challenge to syncronise information across multiple players' screens. The former is certainly easier to code, and allows for distribution by the openor if desired, but as aardless says, that can get annoying.

Both these approaches have the possible issue of a party of adventurers taking down a monster and an unaffiliated theif coming along and opening the chest while they are busy fighting. While this would be annoying, I quite like it in a way, but it might mean I need to cater for PvP combat, so that this sort of thieving can be discouraged.

koreus.

+Quote Post
korexus
post Dec 9 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #43

Voyager

Just to clarify, the bit about picking and choosing items. I mean that when the first player opens the chest, it is flagged as not trapped. At that point anyone can open the chest safely, this results in several players effectively crowding round it. When a player opens a chest, they are presented with an interface which shows the items in the chest an and allows them to pick items. When an item is taken from the chest by a player, it is removed from this view. This will result in two people trying to get the same item, but then that would probably happen in real life. - If people habitually went round killing monsters and opening treasure chests in real life that is!

korexus.

+Quote Post
Mufti999
post Oct 13 2013, 04:24 PM
Post #44

Journeyman

Member No.: 6,567
referrer:Internet

QUOTE (korexus @ Dec 9 2012, 03:08 PM) *
Just to clarify, the bit about picking and choosing items. I mean that when the first player opens the chest, it is flagged as not trapped. At that point anyone can open the chest safely, this results in several players effectively crowding round it. When a player opens a chest, they are presented with an interface which shows the items in the chest an and allows them to pick items. When an item is taken from the chest by a player, it is removed from this view. This will result in two people trying to get the same item, but then that would probably happen in real life. - If people habitually went round killing monsters and opening treasure chests in real life that is!

korexus.

Is this project dead? The link you posted quite a long time ago is dead?

+Quote Post
korexus
post Oct 13 2013, 07:55 PM
Post #45

Voyager

QUOTE (Mufti999 @ Oct 13 2013, 04:24 PM) *
Is this project dead? The link you posted quite a long time ago is dead?

Not dead, but fairly dormant. I redesigned the site a while back, which is what will have killed the link. I also moved this project over to a perl daemon which I was talking about before, but at that time the public facing version was still turn based php. That probably means that some of the functionality has changed from what is stated here. You can see the current state of play at http://www.kaomaris.com/quest/ it mostly works, but there's still a lot to do. If you're interested enough to give feedback, that would probably encourage me to keep working! ;-)

korexus.

+Quote Post
korexus
post Dec 29 2018, 02:27 AM
Post #46

Voyager

So, five years after I last posted on this thread, and 13 years after I started the project I've returned to this idea. That doesn't make me feel old at all...

It's actually moved backwards since the posts above, as I swapped the game engine out a few years back, and a lot of spells and items don't work any more.
It's also failed to move forwards in that the game has a large amount of perl code, and is now the only thing I work on in that language.

However, over the Christmas break I've had fun reworking the interface and making various things work. I want a personal project for the new year, and could be convinced that this should be it.

Current screenshot:

A few disclaimers:
* This is not MXP.
* This is not really Mordor, as a lot had to change for copyright reasons, but it started as Mordor.
* There is a very real chance of something in my life cropping up and distracting me.

However:
* I have noticed that the projects I work on have a better success rate when someone else is involved
* I need to do something on a fairly regular basis to keep my brain sharp.
* I am able and willing to finance a server, GitHub repository, and JIRA instance for this work.

If some people are willing to be testers, and be sympathetic to erratic progress, I'm happy to open the system up to them.
If people want to be involved on a code / design side, I'd be happy to collaborate, but might have some obscure sticking points.
If nobody cares, that's also fine and I might post back in five years' time.

I absolutely can't promise that this will result in a new game of any form. But I will promise that if I'm going to give up I'll let people know, and that if people want a copy of the source code then they can have it.
There are no algorithms / artwork / anything else that are copyrighted remaining in this project, it is all either original work by me or appropriately licensed material (although I do have an outstanding task to document those licences).

This is a Mordor inspired game, that I am very open on the design and implementation of, even progress involves throwing away most of what I've already done.
I'm a big fan of games that are fun to play rather than games that have impressive graphics, and this is why I have enjoyed Mordor so much.
I know that I could not make a noteworthy game based on its graphics, but would like to try to make something that, like Mordor, maintains playability 20 years on.

If anybody's interested in collaborating, give me a shout. If not, Merry Christmas anyway, and a happy New Year!

korexus.

This post has been edited by korexus: Dec 29 2018, 02:28 AM

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 29 2018, 09:16 AM
Post #47

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

Well for what it's worth, having never read any of this thread before, I have now read through it from start to finish and am very impressed by your efforts!

I'd certainly be happy to be a tester from time to time, although I can't promise how much time I could devote to doing so. If you do have any significant updates or anything like that which you'd like testing though then I'd be happy to get on board.

Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing how you get on smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 07:06 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits