> I Just Found The Hammer!
Crunch
post Apr 22 2010, 02:24 AM
Post #1

Explorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,039
referrer:Google

All I know is that when I realized I had acquired this, I was like, "Holy cr*p!"

One things for sure, after getting my clock cleaned by the Demon Prince, this was an incredible way to lift my spirits!

Edit: BTW, what are the odds of getting this item anyway?

This post has been edited by Crunch: Apr 22 2010, 02:31 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Apr 22 2010, 10:39 AM
Post #2

Veteran

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

Congrats! I haven't ever gotten a party past 10, so I can't appreciate the difficulty in getting one, but know that the drop rate is probably under 1% (my estimate).

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Apr 23 2010, 07:43 AM
Post #3

Explorer

Thanks! It was probably way more difficult then simply going down to 15 and randomly snagging one like I kinda did, so I'm not entirely sure I'll appreciate the difficulty of getting one until after three years of playing and being unable to snag a second one. This was just completely out of the blue for me.

Still, a 190 million gold award for finding one was really nice (I think it said I needed some 350 million to realign it if need be, but I was like, "uh, screw that, I need the gold at this point for levelling purposes!" smile.gif )

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Apr 24 2010, 03:15 AM
Post #4

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

QUOTE (Crunch @ Apr 21 2010, 10:24 PM) *
Edit: BTW, what are the odds of getting this item anyway?

Lowwwwwwwwwww. It's generally only dropped by two monsters on 15 and neither of them are common. Who did you get it off of?

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Apr 24 2010, 03:37 AM
Post #5

Explorer

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Apr 24 2010, 03:15 AM) *
Lowwwwwwwwwww. It's generally only dropped by two monsters on 15 and neither of them are common. Who did you get it off of?

The library says that I got it off of a Gorgon.

Edit: The wierd part is that I found the item faster than any of the specialty armors (I only just acquired the Paladins armour) and the Blessings of Morash which appear to have done a heck of a job eluding me for now. The Hammer was the 306th item I have found in the dungeon (don't know how many items there are in total)

This post has been edited by Crunch: Apr 24 2010, 03:45 AM

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Apr 24 2010, 03:57 AM
Post #6

Veteran

I can't remember offhand... something like 340? I dunno :S

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Apr 24 2010, 04:24 AM
Post #7

Explorer

QUOTE (Danjen @ Apr 24 2010, 04:57 AM) *
I can't remember offhand... something like 340? I dunno :S

Ah.

QUOTE ('Crunch if he finds a second Hammer of O'Landra in the next month')
You know... buying a lottery ticket isn't that bad of an idea, is it?

XD

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Apr 24 2010, 04:55 PM
Post #8

Dungeon Master

Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

Cool!

If you havent found or qualified for the really high-level weapons yet (sword of flames and eliminator), you can get some really good use out of it, too. With the strength bonus it's one of the best weapons in the game for raw damage.

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Apr 24 2010, 09:25 PM
Post #9

Explorer

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Apr 24 2010, 05:55 PM) *
Cool!

If you havent found or qualified for the really high-level weapons yet (sword of flames and eliminator), you can get some really good use out of it, too. With the strength bonus it's one of the best weapons in the game for raw damage.

I have been on the lookout for stronger items. I came across the Warlords mace. For my high level warrior, I swapped out the Vampire Fang for the mace because the mace had a higher damage modifier and didn't seem to have any changes to anything else (nothing negative at least). The only real downfall was the fact that it had one less swing, but at this point, I cast WoD on the Gargantuans, I can melee the Shadow stings and I can easily take out any of the swarm enemies at this point (Slithers are currently my absolute favourite monsters to come across because of the huge XP value they seem to have and they rarely land a hit on me - even if they do, the damage is negligible.)

+Quote Post
Grog
post Apr 25 2010, 03:54 AM
Post #10

Mentor

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

Hundreds of trips to lv15 -- and I do mean hundreds; never been hammered.

Congrats! beer.gif

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Apr 25 2010, 06:12 AM
Post #11

Explorer

QUOTE (Grog @ Apr 25 2010, 04:54 AM) *
Hundreds of trips to lv15 -- and I do mean hundreds; never been hammered.

Congrats! beer.gif

Thankies! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
aardless
post Apr 25 2010, 06:42 AM
Post #12

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Congrats! as the others have said it's a truly rare occurrance. I've been wanting to estimate just how low the chance to obtain one is but I'm not too sure how to do it in a meaningful way. Perhaps summing Grog's and Nudi's runs to level 15 and dividing by the number of hammers they found would give an idea of just how hard it is to find.
I'm kind of surprised to see you don't use tomes at all, any particular reason for that?

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Apr 25 2010, 08:44 AM
Post #13

Veteran

You could probably crunch out the drop rates and chance of finding each monster that drops it.

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Apr 25 2010, 05:33 PM
Post #14

Explorer

QUOTE (aardless @ Apr 25 2010, 06:42 AM) *
Congrats! as the others have said it's a truly rare occurrance. I've been wanting to estimate just how low the chance to obtain one is but I'm not too sure how to do it in a meaningful way. Perhaps summing Grog's and Nudi's runs to level 15 and dividing by the number of hammers they found would give an idea of just how hard it is to find.
I'm kind of surprised to see you don't use tomes at all, any particular reason for that?

Actually, I've used lots of tomes earlier on in the game. I've just been trying for months to get all the numbers to '9's just for kicks and just mine for aards for whenever I get drained enough times. I've had to re-align a number of the tomes just to get the numbers looking nice. The dust of healing, crystal of restoration, elixr of restoration, and potion of healing are all the same thing, so now I pretty much keep all the healing items as well in case of emergencies (i.e. hitting a teleporter trap and finding out that my character was teleported to a room full of gargantuans) The tome of spells was more recently maxed out, so unless it was aligned evil, I've been starting to keep those too for similar reasons.

But yeah, I've been crazy enough to try and max out the store (minus the dragons blood and potions of youth I find which I use instantly) since the beginning. So far, a vast majority of the items are maxed out in the store right now and currently, there are a few items I've been working on like the Spectral chain mail, lamurian amulets and a few other higher ranking, but not so rare items.

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Apr 26 2010, 06:49 AM
Post #15

Dungeon Master

Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

QUOTE (aardless @ Apr 25 2010, 08:42 AM) *
I've been wanting to estimate just how low the chance to obtain one is but I'm not too sure how to do it in a meaningful way.

Of all the people in the hiscore list, only three are known to have found one.
SCphillips, Igorb and you. Many people in that list visited level 15 hundreds of times.

So, it looks like on average, the chance of finding one when clearing all of level 15 is
about one in a thousand, or at least such an order of magnitude.

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
igorb
post Apr 26 2010, 09:46 AM
Post #16

Journeyman

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 3,657

Hi there!

And just like you when I found one didn't even knew that it was that rare smile.gif Maybe thats the trick, sorry guys wink.gif

This post has been edited by igorb: Apr 26 2010, 09:47 AM

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Apr 26 2010, 09:57 AM
Post #17

Veteran

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Apr 26 2010, 02:49 AM) *
SCphillips, Igorb and you. Many people in that list visited level 15 hundreds of times.

So, it looks like on average, the chance of finding one when clearing all of level 15 is

We have a high score list? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Apr 26 2010, 06:09 PM
Post #18

Explorer

QUOTE (igorb @ Apr 26 2010, 10:46 AM) *
Hi there!

And just like you when I found one didn't even knew that it was that rare smile.gif Maybe thats the trick, sorry guys wink.gif

That must be the trick. I just remember opening a chest and it saying it found a hammer. I thought, "Oh, another hammer of flames or mithril hammer. That'll be a few hundred thousand or a few million in gold." Then, I arrived at the village to recieve quite a shock at the store and a huge payout.

QUOTE (Danjen @ Apr 26 2010, 10:57 AM) *
We have a high score list? blink.gif

Check Grobbles sig. smile.gif

Edit: You mean the legendary nudibranch hasn't found one yet? I thought for sure he would have found 2 or 3 by now considering how high of a level all his characters are at. blink.gif

This post has been edited by Crunch: Apr 26 2010, 06:15 PM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Apr 27 2010, 01:17 AM
Post #19

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Apr 26 2010, 02:49 AM) *

Sounds about right.

QUOTE (Crunch @ Apr 26 2010, 02:09 PM) *
Edit: You mean the legendary nudibranch hasn't found one yet? I thought for sure he would have found 2 or 3 by now considering how high of a level all his characters are at. blink.gif

Of the 331 items one can find in the dungeon, I'm missing the hammer and a Lightning Rod. I could probably find the rod if I cleared level 6 a couple hundred times.

I don't expect to ever play my uber party again, though -- the only conquest left is finding that hammer, and it might take another 1000 trips. Or 2000.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Apr 27 2010, 03:13 AM
Post #20

Explorer

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Apr 27 2010, 02:17 AM) *
Of the 331 items one can find in the dungeon, I'm missing the hammer and a Lightning Rod. I could probably find the rod if I cleared level 6 a couple hundred times.

I don't expect to ever play my uber party again, though -- the only conquest left is finding that hammer, and it might take another 1000 trips. Or 2000.

Wow. I guess if that doesn't put in to perspective how hard it is to find one (and how privileged one is if they do find it), I don't know what will. I think the room I found the hammer in was a stud room located on the northern tip of the southern land portion of 15. Of course, if you're clearing out level 15 regularly, then that bit of info really doesn't help a whole lot.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2019 - 03:04 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits