IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Very Spoily Mordor Walkthrough (*Big spoilers*), A level-by-level guide to the dungeon
TheKingLockyer
post Jul 28 2005, 05:27 AM
Post #21

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 434
referrer:looking up google on mordor 1.1

Yes, but I describe the best approaches, and a few alternatives. The answers are all there.

Against the less-dangerous monsters on Level 15, high A/D is sufficient to win in melee (although you'll need to heal up frequently). But very high-level spellcasters have a particular edge on Level 15.

I re-read your posting on defeating the boss - but in general it seems like melee fighters have next to know chance up in level15. Either they require constant healing or they'll get ripped - even then they'll get aged to death without an "efficient" strategy.

Any way to resist aging? (i.e is it a magical attack???)

How about a fully resistant melee warrior with a powerful sword?

Could he take on Asmo...and have a good battle?

I remember fighting the Minotaur with this following team:
level 100+ warrior
level 100+ paladin
level 100+ Ninja (he was also my sorcerer for reistsance of high levels)
Level 100+ Healer (he was also my thief level 90)

and i'd barely get hurt. I would like to use a high level combination of the same to go down to the deepest levels.

This post has been edited by TheKingLockyer: Jul 28 2005, 05:29 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fart642000
post Jul 28 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #22

IT'S A DRABBIT!

Member No.: 15
referrer:I searched the earth for it until braindead sent me an invite

QUOTE (TheKingLockyer @ Jul 28 2005, 01:27 AM)
Any way to resist aging? (i.e is it a magical attack???)

How about a fully resistant melee warrior with a powerful sword?

Could he take on Asmo...and have a good battle?

a high con might help

as long as you can slay it before you get hit should be fine

pretty much doomed unless he has an item with a specific spell, and that spell is

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

--------------------
Waffles - Well, you know what they say: kill thy neighbour, because it saves you having to remember two of the ten commandments. :D

Me:anyway i find it a bit scary how alike we think sometimes...
BL: It's because we're right :P
My forum (improved)

Braindead: Fart teaching me how to spell, LOL :) What will be next I wonder? :D
Cowboy:I leave you guys alone for 1 day and it's an orgy of politics and sex... what can I say, I taught you well :devilish:

+Quote Post
Hopper
post Jul 31 2005, 09:27 PM
Post #23

Drifter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 248
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fart642000 @ Jul 28 2005, 03:43 PM)
a high con might help

as long as you can slay it before you get hit should be fine

pretty much doomed unless he has an item with a specific spell, and that spell is

» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

I do remember beating Asmodeus with one single giant warrior without using spells, but I died at least 4 times and when I opened the chest I was dissapointed when all I found was gold. sad.gif

+Quote Post
fart642000
post Jul 31 2005, 09:43 PM
Post #24

IT'S A DRABBIT!

QUOTE (Hopper @ Jul 31 2005, 05:27 PM)
I do remember beating Asmodeus with one single giant warrior without using spells,

but I died at least 4 times and when I opened the chest I was dissapointed when all I found was gold. sad.gif

ohmy.gifk: to my knowledge you are the only person to do the solo giant thing

not_ok.gif

--------------------
Waffles - Well, you know what they say: kill thy neighbour, because it saves you having to remember two of the ten commandments. :D

My forum (improved)

Cowboy:I leave you guys alone for 1 day and it's an orgy of politics and sex... what can I say, I taught you well :devilish:

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Aug 1 2005, 11:09 PM
Post #25

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

I recently tried killing Asmo with my party of Level 622 Warrior/733 Warrior/428 Seeker without using magic. I couldn't do it without leaving a few times to heal up and I still had a few character deaths (should've left to heal more often). I also got hit with several Aging attacks.

Compare that to my usual experience with Asmodeus: I have my Level 500 Healer cast Word of Death right away, and he's dead within 2 rounds. I almost never get killed and I usually avoid Aging.

A big reason why spells are so important against Asmodeus is his Flame Devil companions. Even if you have full Fire Resistance (their breath attacks are very damaging), their melee attacks are no less dangerous. Kind of like facing Asmo and a pack of Gargantuans at the same time.

But Flame Devils are easy to kill with a variety of spells, including many items, and that greatly reduces the danger of the encounter. When I was first visiting Level 15 (before I had my ultra-Healer), I had everyone use Electric Field from a Helm of Brilliance or Lightning Sword against them, and that worked well.

Warriors can defeat Asmo, but to avoid death and Aging, you really want to use a Cap of Death, or at least a Helm of Brilliance or something similar.

Even to this day (average A/D 530/580), I can't defeat a pack of Gargantuans in melee without often needing to stop and heal before finishing the fight. There are a few monsters on Level 15 that are just tough to kill without using magic.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
TheKingLockyer
post Aug 3 2005, 12:09 PM
Post #26

Student

Member No.: 434
referrer:looking up google on mordor 1.1

All in All - thanks for the advice. I guess it figures right with the story.

A truly evil being would not be defeated by a mere warrior.

Its good that the warriors are able to cast some damaging spells from they're special swords/equipment - else they'd have no chance (as most of you have mentioned).

Although - I woulda thought the greatest of Earth warriors would be able to defeat a pack of level15 monsters. Y/N??

+Quote Post
Painbringer
post Aug 16 2005, 06:57 PM
Post #27

Adventurer

Member No.: 373
referrer:lot of search

Actually, there is no Poltergeist lair at 16,24,5. Moreover, i have killed lots of Medusas and haven't got Medusa's Head yet.

Is it just bad luck?

Painbringer devil.gif

This post has been edited by Painbringer: Aug 16 2005, 06:58 PM

--------------------
Stranger, go back to Sparta and tell our people that we who were slain obeyed the code.

+Quote Post
fart642000
post Aug 16 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #28

IT'S A DRABBIT!

QUOTE (Painbringer @ Aug 16 2005, 02:57 PM)
Moreover, i have killed lots of Medusas and haven't got Medusa's Head yet.

oddly enough like all items the only way to get one is via chest (where the logic in that is, i know not) so if you can loot her chest without killing her you can get her head... blink.gif

don't recall it being rare though

--------------------

My forum (improved)

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Aug 16 2005, 11:26 PM
Post #29

Fire Master

QUOTE (Painbringer @ Aug 16 2005, 02:57 PM)
Actually, there is no Poltergeist lair at 16,24,5. Moreover, i have killed lots of Medusas and haven't got Medusa's Head yet.

Is it just bad luck?

Painbringer  devil.gif

Hmm, you're right, the Poltergeist lair is at 18,8,5. The listing in the "Laired Monster List" is incorrect (ahem, Braindead whistling.gif wink.gif ).

Medusa should drop her head pretty often, every 5-10 visits, I'd estimate.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hopper
post Aug 20 2005, 11:33 PM
Post #30

Drifter

Member No.: 248
referrer:Google

[quote=Nudibranch,Aug 16 2005, 05:26 PM]Hmm, you're right, the Poltergeist lair is at 18,8,5.  The listing in the "Laired Monster List" is incorrect (ahem, Braindead whistling.gif wink.gif ).

Medusa should drop her head pretty often, every 5-10 visits, I'd estimate.

[/quote]
She drops one just about every time I visit, but I guess something might be wrong with my game.

Even to this day (average A/D 530/580), I can't defeat a pack of Gargantuans in melee without often needing to stop and heal before finishing the fight. There are a few monsters on Level 15 that are just tough to kill without using magic.

[/quote]
What I don't get is why gargantuans aren't very good companions. I charmed 4 and used them for companions a little while, but sun dragons are far better in my opinion. It's like gargantuans only try hard when they are fighting you, not with you. But if you have high enough defense, gargantuans usually miss, and when they hit it looks like they do random damage (I've seen them do 20 damage sometimes, and then 180 other times! blink.gif ) But if you have low defense, they can hit for 600 like the first time I fought them.

+Quote Post
omer
post Jan 12 2006, 11:01 AM
Post #31

Journeyman

Member No.: 1,318
referrer:google :)

QUOTE (TheKingLockyer @ Aug 3 2005, 02:09 PM)
All in All - thanks for the advice. I guess it figures right with the story.

A truly evil being would not be defeated by a mere warrior.

Its good that the warriors are able to cast some damaging spells from they're special swords/equipment - else they'd have no chance (as most of you have mentioned).

Although - I woulda thought the greatest of Earth warriors would be able to defeat a pack of level15  monsters. Y/N??

My party relies only on combat.
I have 3 warriors (one lvl 492, another 380 and the third 245), and one ninja (lvl 345). Of course all of them have lvls in other guilds (2 healers around 200, one of them is also lvl 333 thief). This party is well equiped, but nothing I think out of the ordinary (only 2 blessing of morash in total wink.gif ). With a little luck, I can finish lvl 14 without using a single sp (or any charge from an item), except unlocking chests. I do lvl 15 regularly without casting any spell other the heal (yeah, including resistances). And I always get pinned before running out of sp's (even when my thief/healer is unlucky to hit a fate trap early on).
I do have to say that there are 4 rooms in lvl 15 I avoid - asmo's room, reaper of souls' room, demonprince room and rustmonster room. when fighting these baddies, I usually resort to magic.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jan 12 2006, 11:51 PM
Post #32

Fire Master

QUOTE (omer @ Jan 12 2006, 07:01 AM)
My party relies only on combat.

I used to rely almost entirely on combat, but once my Healer and Sorcerer got their best spells down to minimum cost, it became much more effective to use them against the toughest groups (Gargantuans, Lamurian Guards+, Shadow Stings, etc.) Mostly I do it to have my Thief/Sorcerer hog all the XP. biggrin.gif Otherwise my Giant would grab the lion's share, and there's barely any point to him getting more levels.

Blasting all the toughest monsters has a side benefit -- I do almost no healing, even on Level 15, and I don't avoid any rooms. Maybe 5 casts of Restoration per trip to 15.

With a little luck, I can finish lvl 14 without using a single sp (or any charge from an item), except unlocking chests.

That kind of surprises me -- you clear the entire level? Lamurian Guards do lots of electrocution damage during combat, and dragon breath takes its toll too. But as long as you avoid Gargantuans... Yeah, maybe.

I do have to say that there are 4 rooms in lvl 15 I avoid - asmo's room, reaper of souls' room, demonprince room and rustmonster room. when fighting these baddies, I usually resort to magic.

They aren't restricted to a single room. The Prince and Reaper can show up in 4 different rooms, and Asmo in 3 (all Stud, of course). Out of 9 Stud rooms on the level, only 2 are "safe" from them, and even then, there's a teeny tiny chance they can show up in the other two as well. (There's some bug which allows rooms to host monsters not on its "laired types" list -- which is why you occasionally see landbound Water-Dwellers.)

The Rust Monster can show up in any of 7 rooms on 15, with a very small chance of showing up anywhere else, too, because of the aforementioned bug. I usually avoid these rooms. Asmo, I can handle. But a Rust Monster -- eek! cold.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
omer
post Jan 13 2006, 12:45 AM
Post #33

Journeyman

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jan 13 2006, 01:51 AM)
That kind of surprises me -- you clear the entire level?  Lamurian Guards do lots of electrocution damage during combat, and dragon breath takes its toll too.  But as long as you avoid Gargantuans... Yeah, maybe.

Well maybe I was exaggerating a bit...
dragons can deal some dmg, but I can handle lamurians up to and including warriors mostly unharmed. anyway maybe not clear the level always but definately some of the times...

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jan 13 2006, 01:51 AM)
They aren't restricted to a single room.  The Prince and Reaper can show up in 4 different rooms, and Asmo in 3 (all Stud, of course).  Out of 9 Stud rooms on the level, only 2 are "safe" from them, and even then, there's a teeny tiny chance they can show up in the other two as well.  (There's some bug which allows rooms to host monsters not on its "laired types" list -- which is why you occasionally see landbound Water-Dwellers.)

The Rust Monster can show up in any of 7 rooms on 15, with a very small chance of showing up anywhere else, too, because of the aforementioned bug.  I usually avoid these rooms.  Asmo, I can handle.  But a Rust Monster -- eek!  cold.gif

Since I got what I need from the big bosses I find they're not worth the trouble. There are 4 stud rooms I'm avoiding (the one in the lake, the foggy one, the eastern one, and the one in the north east corner). on others I peek before I enter. This gets my mostly out of their way. Sometimes I'm feeling daring, and I kill them too, but then I go through the trouble of casting resistances, and using magic on combat. I don't think I've used a charge of an item in the past 300 lvls though.

+Quote Post
omer
post Jan 14 2006, 04:54 PM
Post #34

Journeyman

QUOTE (omer @ Jan 13 2006, 02:45 AM)
Well maybe I was exaggerating a bit...
dragons can deal some dmg, but I can handle lamurians up to and including warriors mostly unharmed. anyway maybe not clear the level always but definately some of the times...

I've put my bragging to the test, and tried lvl 14 3 times with my most powerful setup, without using magic at all (well except ethereal portal..). avoiding nothing but gargantuas.

and...

on all 3 times I was able to clear the level easily (more than 300 hp left on everybody) dwarf.gif dwarf.gif dwarf.gif .
note however that I did not open fire trapped or explosive chests, and I had to readjust my party once or twice (moving wounded to the back)

+Quote Post
Grog
post Apr 19 2006, 08:51 PM
Post #35

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

I re-loaded the game last week.
Starting from scratch, no edits etc.
Just a quick note: Early in the game, when gold is at a premium, an old tip becomes relevant: you can combine identical tomes and then realign them to suit your needs, rather than realigning them one at a time. Works for potions and aards of being (aard of beings?) too, saving millions in gold.

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post
Outside666
post Jun 2 2006, 12:49 PM
Post #36

Wanderer

Member No.: 109
referrer:google

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jan 13 2006, 12:51 AM)
There's some bug which allows rooms to host monsters not on its "laired types" list -- which is why you occasionally see landbound Water-Dwellers.

Or waterbound Dragons (a Party of Blue Pelagons and Pelagons, if I'm not mistaken at 18,1,7 (Always visit them after the demonist))

--------------------
I'm back!

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 3 2006, 06:40 PM
Post #37

Fire Master

That particular spot is not a bug: Dragons are explicitly laired there. The bug I mentioned pertains to monster types showing up in a given room that aren't laired in that room at all.

But your overall point is correct: sometimes you'll see non-water dwellers in a room that ordinarily can only spawn water-dwellers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outside666
post Jun 8 2006, 10:20 AM
Post #38

Wanderer

Member No.: 109
referrer:google

Ok I get it, and I know what you mean. But still it's weird how fire breathing monsters can live on water, and still damage you with a breathing attack

This post has been edited by Outside666: Jun 8 2006, 10:21 AM

--------------------
I'm back!

+Quote Post
dannyboy
post Sep 24 2006, 03:46 AM
Post #39

Journeyman

Member No.: 2,379
referrer:G to the oogle.

The most distinct feature of Level 2 is a group of slave lairs in the northwest corner. Each lair is a little tougher than the last. These groups drop some great items and are worth a lot of XP.

I would not neccesarily say each is subsqentially harder than the last, as the first is generally 3 slavers and lots of slaves while then next tends to be one slave masher. I find the 3 slavers to be harder than the 1 masher, personally. happy.gif

Also, can you maybe add/tell me some character level suggestions or a/d ratings for moving to the next levels?

This post has been edited by dannyboy: Sep 24 2006, 04:35 AM

+Quote Post
Cowboy
post Sep 24 2006, 07:03 AM
Post #40

Infiltrator

Member No.: 4
referrer:A long time ago on a site far far away...

Most people tend to go for a party with a minimum of 10 levels per floor for the first 5-7 levels. Note that this is a bare minimum and many (myself included) like to clear a floor before moving to the next. Solo characters probably need a lot more, but I always run with 3 ohmy.gifk:

--------------------
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.

"just going around wielding a huge short and cutting down the bad guys" - Fart642000

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2019 - 03:08 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits