IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Money Challenge, Get as much money as you can!
Crashland
post Jul 21 2014, 07:23 PM
Post #101

Teacher

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 4,781
referrer:Yahoo search engine

Is anyone still interested in playing this challenge again?

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Revolutionary Challenge
The Money Challenge

Can't wait to start a Mordor XP challenge.

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 05:54 AM) *
I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jul 22 2014, 07:02 PM
Post #102

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

Thought I'd give this a go, despite seeing the scarily high values some people got last time round. So I dusted off an XP VM, made a fresh install of Mordor and here's how I did.

Created a character: female neutral dwarf. 14, 10, 10, 19, 3, 8
Got basic equipment (no shield due to dex) and joined warrior's guild.
Made it to level 2 warrior.
Got a 'liquid', which sold for 56K, allowing me to buy the leather girdle.
Walked into twisted dwarves. Died.

Final gold: 42,414.
Total play time: 7 minutes, 48 seconds.

Looks like I'm out of practice!

korexus.

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jul 22 2014, 08:06 PM
Post #103

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

Tried again, this time sacrificed 2 END to get to 10 DEX. Also decided to use a battle axe rather than sword and shield

Some diary entries for my character:
Early on, I picked up a 'Neck Ornament' that I could sell for 69K, but for now I've equipped it. Amazingly it seems to have granted me the ability to see the invisible.
Made it to level 3 warrior and identified the neck ornament as an amulet.
Sold a sword for 142K, used the cash to get bracers and a girdle
Had most of the rest of that money stolen, but did then find a mace also worth 142K. Invested the money in a shimmering ring.
Upon reaching level 5 warrior, I decided to catch up in Nomad so I had some perception ability.
Found a potion that the store would pay 840K for (turned out to be a neutral potion of insight). Decided to trade the axe in for iron dagger and bronze shield and to get bronze plate and helmet.
Selling a tome of learning got me up to 1.3M gold. Nearly enough for Dorlan's sash.
Swapped back to warrior's guild when reaching Nomad level 5
A scroll of Nimeon and two groups of slaves got me the rest of the way to the sash, and I'm calling it a night for now.

Current gold: 160,647
Peak gold: 1,705,304
Play time: 35 minutes
Not yet dead.

+Quote Post
Grog
post Sep 1 2014, 05:16 AM
Post #104

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

Name: Joan d'Rohin
Race: Osiri
Alignment: Neutral
Levels: 33 Nomad, 87 Seeker, 207 Thief, 283 Sorcerer, 81 Healer
Dead: no
Stats: 26 Strength, 28 Intelligence, 26 Wisdom, 26 Constitution, 25 Charisma, 32 Dexterity
Gold: 319,089,567

She has opened up everything down to lv13, 80% of lv14, and 10% of lv15

I've been playing The Money Challenge (on and off) for the past :gulp: 5 years, starting dozens of solo games.

However, you can disqualify my characters as I've gone back to using the bank.
Aside from the no-bank restriction (a rule which I always considered to be capricious and arbitrary),
imo The Money game is the most excellent challenge of all time.

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Sep 1 2014, 07:12 AM
Post #105

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Nice. You've taken it much farther than I ever did. Though I'm surprised your gold is so low - leveling costs?

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Grog
post Sep 1 2014, 09:07 PM
Post #106

Mentor

Not sure... leveling cost got to be about 3.1m when I gave her up.

I never really ran her as a treasure hunter. A quick store inventory:

5 Lamarian shock lance
2 Hands of death
2 Holy Swords (they're nothing special, you know wink.gif )
1 Vorpal blade
3 Vampire Fangs
1 Giant King Hammer

She could probably just keep hounding the Giant King if she really wanted to build up wealth.

btw, I never had much trouble with lv9-13... gotta use companions, though. I left behind alot of stoned Butchers.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aardless
post Sep 4 2014, 03:46 PM
Post #107

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

blink.gif

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Grog
post Sep 8 2014, 01:37 PM
Post #108

Mentor

QUOTE (aardless @ Sep 4 2014, 08:46 AM) *
blink.gif

You telling me it's time to get back to work?
Schools are opening, I'm gettin' in gear...

--------------------

+Quote Post
aardless
post Sep 18 2014, 09:39 AM
Post #109

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Nah, I'm truly flabbergasted anybody was able to reach levels 207 and 283 without dying. ok.gif

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Jan 9 2015, 03:51 AM
Post #110

Teacher

QUOTE (aardless @ Sep 18 2014, 01:39 AM) *
Nah, I'm truly flabbergasted anybody was able to reach levels 207 and 283 without dying. ok.gif

I'm guessing either luck or extreme caution.

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 9 2015, 09:47 AM
Post #111

Fighter

Member No.: 4,683
referrer:Search engine

Does anyone change the route they typically use while playing this challenge? For instance, heading to level 7's lake via the pit route to visit all the dragons along the way instead of via teleport or the northern stairwell?

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jan 11 2015, 01:21 AM
Post #112

Fire Master

I definitely played far more cautiously in the early levels, avoiding everything except footpads and centipedes for my first few levels, and tiptoed below level 8 where ninjas first show up. But aside from avoiding dangerous rooms/areas and playing less boldly, I still took more or less the same paths.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 23 2015, 05:29 PM
Post #113

Fighter

Name: Hanako
Levels: 1 Nomad
Dead: I hope not!
Stats: 10 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 3 Charisma, 14 Dexterity
Gold: 1500

Hanako would be a more fitting name for a giant; the lifespans match up nigh perfectly! Still, I want some kind of thieving ability.

I'm thinking I'll draw up some new routes for my run through. I've always been a bit of a miser while playing, so this is a good chance to optimize those routes!

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Jan 23 2015, 06:09 PM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Apr 11 2015, 07:00 AM
Post #114

Teacher

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jan 23 2015, 10:29 AM) *
Levels: 1 Nomad
Dead: I hope not!
Stats: 10 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 3 Charisma, 14 Dexterity
Gold: 1500

Hanako would be a more fitting name for a giant; the lifespans match up nigh perfectly! Still, I want some kind of thieving ability.

I'm thinking I'll draw up some new routes for my run through. I've always been a bit of a miser while playing, so this is a good chance to optimize those routes!

Ooh, nice! We have a new contestant! It's so lovely to see this forum active again. It really is. I have many fond memories.

I don't remember seeing any thief-type characters, so this should be interesting. You've got a lot to compete with, so good luck!

--------------------

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Apr 23 2015, 09:21 PM
Post #115

Fighter

Member No.: 7,124
referrer:slimeys

my party has over 50mil gold total but it doesn't count lmao

--------------------
just so you know its me, kingkirki49

Ich kann drei prozent auf deustch sprechen.

my famous mordor saying

Zeige mir, oh Lehrer. Derjenige, der Magie tut, ist töricht aber der Krieger ist stark. Der Dieb stiehlt , aber der Heiler gibt. Der Suchende sucht, aber der Hexenmeister sieht. Der Magier bezaubert, aber die Zauberer bläst. Der Nomade reist, aber der Bösewicht ist böse. Der Paladin tötet Drachen und der Ninja schleicht. Und der Scavenger? Er sucht nach Nahrung und Gold.

(translated)

Teach me, O teacher. The one who does magic is foolish, but the warrior is strong. The thief steals, but the healer gives. The seeker seeks, but the wizard sees. The mage charms, but the Sorcerer blasts. The nomad travels, but the villain is evil. The paladin kills dragons and the ninja creeps. And the scavenger? He searches for food and gold.

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post May 3 2015, 08:36 AM
Post #116

Fighter

Levels: 30 Nomad, 30 Seeker, 75 Thief, 44 Sorceror, 41 Wizard, 30 Healer
Dead: List of premature obituaries
Stats: 22 (+2) Strength, 23 (+0) Intelligence, 22 (+2) Wisdom, 24 (+0) Constitution, 23 (+2) Charisma, 27 (+1) Dexterity
Gold: 470,947,981

It took ages to finally max my wisdom out, so my levels are a bit undercooked relative to my wealth. The Goblin Shamans (Shamen?) were shy, plus I sold off most of my first Aards to make later Aard identification cheaper. The result was that I spent a lot of time visiting all the dragon lairs on 3, plus sneak runs to the easy ones on 4. Once I took thief up enough, I started making trips to the Twisted Elf, plus very brief trips to the Black Pelagon lair on 6. It mostly feels like a normal game, except for all the dragon room trips. It feels similar to when I'm quested for some indigini. I wind up searching every room that can possibly spawn dragons, hunting for my prey, except without the bastard questmaster element.

I probably should've written this earlier, when everything was fresher in my mind, but I just didn't get around to it. sad.gif There was quite a bit more I had in mind for writing about and parsing down, but I haven't played this character for a while now. I'm hoping to pick up again soon though.

Incidentally, here's an interesting side effect of the no bank rule:

So much for dominating the Hall of Records!

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post May 4 2015, 04:01 AM
Post #117

Fire Master

Good ol' pelagons.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post May 16 2015, 01:11 PM
Post #118

Fighter

Gold: 1,051,454,456.

Hanako still lives! Like her fishy namesake, she's been spending lots of time in the pond, this time on level 7. The highest guild levels are nearing 100 in thief and sorceror, while healer and seeker are lagging behind in the 60s and 70s, each just below the level to pick up a new guild crest to steal away precious item slots. So far, I've picked up two rings of entrapment (!) and two rings of teleportation. That ring of death that I've been seeking for years still proves elusive.

So far, I've only had a couple of unpleasant encounters. One was a group of ZBrats, which knocked away about 200 of my 450ish health. Nothing too out of the ordinary, but I'm glad I was keeping my health up beforehand! I probably shouldn't have been pushing for 7 yet, but that lake and all those blue pelagon spawning grounds are just too alluring to pass up.

The other unpleasant event was much more in the miserly spirit of this challenge. I had it on good authority that there was a good chance to strike it rich in the stud squares at 30,17,8. It was just an ethereal portal away from the staircase back to 7, so I snuck down there to scope it out. Mundragons, and lots of them. More importantly, they had a big chest of treasure with my name on it. I went in there, arctic storm at the ready, only to get roasted for about 200 damage when my spell failed to do enough damage. I tried a couple of other options. Nothing worked, and it was taking up all my SP. Ultimately, I had to kill them one by one with draining touch to get my pay, healing every round, retreating back to town, and coming back for more. It took a few trips until I finally got my payout. The dividends? About 5,000,000. It was about as much as the Blue Pelagons drop, only fraught with much more danger. I haven't been back since. (It was fun trying though!)

I'm tempted to start this challenge a second time, only with a character that's a terrible thief. I ran a solo giant a long time ago that was like that, although it made use of the bank. The regular thieving monsters weren't much of a problem, though they did sometimes run off with gold if they got initiative. He could usually smash through the lot in a single round. Instead, it was the Giant ravens and Orps that were big problems. They usually got about seven chances to steal between the divided groups they came in and the sheer number of swings to finish them in melee. The spell-casting items didn't help a lot, since I'd burn through so much money recharging them just trying to keep ahold of my gold. It was a completely different challenge than what I'm used to in Mordor. I was looking forward to when I leveled seeker up enough so that teleport would be a cost-efficient way to wipe out Orps!

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post May 16 2015, 03:48 PM
Post #119

Fire Master

Hah, you're a masochist.

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 6 2015, 02:44 AM
Post #120

Fighter

One thing I always seem to pick up in my games is a ring of entrapment. Usually the most use I get out of it is charming rare monsters to eventually sacrifice to the questmaster. I've always liked the idea of companions in theory, but they're usually too flimsy for my tastes and too much of a hassle keeping them content without using an orb. The end effect is that I pretty much go through the game without companions until an underleveled character makes the pilgrimage to 14 for Sun Dragons. That's a long way off, and even longer still in a permadeath challenge! The Sun Dragon lair can also spawn all sorts of nastiness, including Golden Eagles, so I doubt I'll be setting foot in there for a looong time. Looks like I just won't get any use out of companions in the money challenge.

Or will I? Spectral Dragons look like promising companions too, and spawn in far safer places! Level 14 has ten rooms that are set to only spawn dragons, opening up the possibility of teleporting down just long enough to charm a companion before retreating back to safety. They're not quite as nice as Sun Dragons, but they're the next best thing!

Of course, there are still a lot of risks. There's a good chance that the room will spawn some mundane dragon instead, like White Dragons. Not only that, but all rooms have some kind of chance of spawning the wrong monster type, which would be disastrous if Gargantuans appeared. 14 itself is incredibly deep for my character, who has barely broken 100 in any guild at all. I'd have teleport from at least 11 to get to 14, which just happens to be when Silent Eagles come to bear as well, another certain death monster! Spectral Dragons also have a guild level of 175, which means they're going to start breaking binding levels instantly once I snag them. There's a very real risk of one of them turning on me before I can use the orb on it. Teleport is a much more dangerous spell to mess up with. Even if I make an error and don't wind up rocked, the weaker monsters of 14 are still probably strong enough to pulverize me.

Sounds fun! There are three things I absolutely need to make this successful.

• Ring of Entrapment: Self-explanatory. I'll buffer this so that I can instantly cast it when I teleport to 14, so that the Spectral Dragons won't have a free round to massacre me while I fumble with the mouse, trying to hit the use item button.
  • Orb of Life Domination: This is mandatory. Once I charm the Spectral Dragons, they're going to start instantly breaking their binding. I'll put the orbs into a buffer slot, so that I can bind the lot to me as soon as I can. This is another case where I can't afford to waste time aiming the mouse.
  • Teleport: Teleport costs 68 SP per casting, so I'd need a hefty stack of SP restoring items to make the full trip. If I went 8 -> 11 -> 14 -> 11 -> 8, I'd need at least 272 SP, in addition to whatever other spells I use for healing, resistances, etc. Fortunately, I have a ring, which means I only have to cast the last teleport before the dragon room. (I need entrapment as soon as I meet the dragons, so I have to do the last teleport by hand.)

I've decided to target 10,26,14 while facing west.

The room in red is the dragon room. 10,26 puts me inside the room, facing the door, giving me an escape if I don't like what I see inside. The hallway immediately outside the dragon room does not spawn animals or humanoids, while most of the other dragon room escape paths did. This one can only spawn devils, undead, insects, and thieves, which still has some nasty possibilities (Angels of Death!) but at least it avoids the nastiest instadeaths 14 has to offer. One more step after that leads to a third room, which can spawn animals, but is available as a last resort in case both the dragon room and the hallway are too dangerous. If the first three rooms are all bad, I doubt I can make it to a fourth.

I'll update this post later, based on success or failure!

Edit: So I finally found the Spectral Dragons! They were surprisingly shy, considering their listed spawn rate. Unfortunately, it was only a group of two, but here's a picture of my newfound companions! Success!

My previous plan had been to retreat if it wasn't a full group of 4 dragons, but I got excited and went ahead and bound this pair. I'll just make a few more trips until I can get another pair stick with this group and hope I don't lose them in the meantime!

Well, that's exactly what happened. The next spawn in the dragon room was a pair of Shadow Dragons, which got initiative, cast a spell and breathed cold all over the Spectral Dragons, wiping them out. This is my fault for exiting Mordor with my character in the room, waiting for the monsters to respawn. Mordor rolls the first round of combat before it gets the interface up on this machine (I can't remember if it did this on the other machines I've played on), so usually the second round of combat starts by the time I get my bearings.

I did manage to get out and wipe some type of thief group out in the opposite hallway, which let me teleport out. My character didn't take much damage from either encounter, since the thieves were weak and I had 95% cold resistance. It was too late for the Spectral Dragons though. crybaby.gif Dragon #2 was a particularly large loss, since its 318 was much higher than the typical Spectral Dragon HP of 265.

Unfortunately, I only had four charges of the Orb when I started this. Now that I'm minus 2, any future attempts will have to wait until I find another one. I'd like to try this again though. I can definitely do better. I made quite a few errors doing this. I ignored my plans of only capturing four at once and turning my nose up at anything, I exited the game in the dragon room, then I made a couple of navigation mistakes on the way down which could've ended poorly. (It was also a mistake to press on when I had already been screwing up anyways! I should've realized I was having an off day sooner and aborted until tomorrow.)

Here were my navigation directions. I wrote down the teleporting instructions so I could just paste them into the game, to avoid a fatal teleporting error.

• Start: Go to the chute at 10,30,7 and use the chute to drop to 10.
  • From 10: -4,-1,2, to end up in the empty room outside of the Mother of Serpents. (How convenient!)
  • From 12: 0,1,2, to the Dragon room!
  • From 14: 0,-1,-2.
  • From 12: 4,1,-2.
  • From 10: 0,0,-3.

The big mistake I made here was that I decided to map out the room just outside of the Mother of Serpents lair. I completely forgot that it had a teleporter in it! Oops. whistling.gif I then messed up displacing myself back to position and wound up a couple of tiles outside of the room. I didn't meet anything too nasty on 12, so at least luck made up for my mind being AWOL!

Even though I screwed things up, it was fun!

I also gave it a try on a set of 3 without permanently binding them. This is the message log from the moment of capture until I got back to town.

I don't think that's going to work! Still, I was expecting them to break away much sooner than that. When I used to capture Sun Dragons with an old character, they never stuck around for long at all. Part of this was from capturing them with a purple sash instead of a ring of entrapment. The sash only does 94 to 190 damage, compared to the Sun Dragon's typical 275ish HP. I'd have to weaken them quite a bit for the purple sash to successfully charm them, which meant that they typically broke their binding in seconds. It wasn't unusual for a badly damaged one to turn on me before I could finish healing it! I guess that shaped most of my thoughts on charming monsters from the deep though. I knew that if a companion was low on health, they were more apt to leave, but I never realized just how much longer a fully healed companion would stick around.

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Jun 8 2015, 05:18 AM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 12:16 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits