IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back to Mordor after far too long away!, Or "How I saw people writing about their new characters on here an
Nudibranch
post Feb 9 2019, 08:42 PM
Post #41

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Rods of Ultimate Power are good against zBrats and other massing harassers.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Feb 9 2019, 09:54 PM
Post #42

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

That's good to know, thanks smile.gif What dungeon level do Z'Brats start appearing on?

As for my latest exploits with Nothrya, reached Sorcerer 50 already and also rediscovered the Minotaur's lair (it was one of the places I used to visit when I played Mordor regularly in my teens). Took two trips to kill him; the second one had a clear path all the way there so it was just a case of trading blows, running out to cast Restoration and going back in again until he was eventually killed. Got an Adamantite Battle Axe for my troubles.

Also discovered a set of rooms leading up to a laired monster which were guarded by Reptile Servants or something similarly named. Anticipating it might be a medusa or something like that, I decided to head back to the city to refresh my SP, then made sure to case Resist Stone at the start of my journey (Osiri have 90% natural resistance to it but wanted to make sure). So I made my way back there, entered the lair...and it was a friggin' troll. I hate it when laired monsters don't appear >:{

Oh well, I've got about 60% of DL 6 mapped out now and although I'm not quite dominating it as such, the Sorcerer spells I have are powerful enough to clear out most rooms (also there seem to be a real abundance of thieving monsters on DL 6, much more so than the other levels) so as long as I've plenty of SP left I'm making good progress.

Incidentally at one point I found my melee weapon was ineffective against some monsters on DL 6 and I was concerned that the Steel Dagger was ineffective at this level already, and wondered how long it would be before I found an Adamantite Dagger. Turns out I wasn't wielding the Steel Dagger at all, it was the Silver Cross. Change to the dagger and I can hit the damn things again. Always a bonus when one's continued existence depends on being able to hit things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Feb 10 2019, 02:40 AM
Post #43

Fighter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (BLauritson @ Feb 9 2019, 04:54 PM) *
That's good to know, thanks smile.gif What dungeon level do Z'Brats start appearing on?

ZBrats first appear on level 6. They have a lair towards the northeast corner of 6, but they're otherwise very rare.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Feb 10 2019, 08:49 AM
Post #44

Lord Fnorgle

Thanks Roland smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Feb 10 2019, 11:34 AM
Post #45

Lord Fnorgle

Highlights from this morning's run:

- Found my first ever Staff of Alton from the Goblin Shaman on DL 3. And when I say "first ever" I really mean it - can't remember ever finding this when I used to play Mordor in my teens. Found it inferior to my current weaponry though so sold it.
- Discovered ZBrats for the first time on a room in DL 6. Curious how the game hides their numbers, makes me understand now why these swarm-clearing spells (and artefacts that cast them) are so popular. They went down eventually from continued Leprosy castings but I suffered a fair bit of damage in the process.
- Finally made good on my previous intention to find what was at the end of the Snake Servants corridor of rooms, and was pleased to see that my presumption was correct in that Medusa was the boss there. Many Leprosy castings later (plus a few thrown back at me, luckily I've got Unicorn Horn equipped so they did very little damage) and Medusa was slain. Got a Gem of Healing for my troubles. Considered keeping it for emergencies but given how often I forget to use the White Sash I've been carrying around with me I decided to sell it in the end.

Lowlights from this morning's run:

- Encountered 3 Blue Pelagons and 2 Pelagons in an antimagic room. Ouchie! Those breath attacks are really painful. It's bad enough when I can Leprosy-blast them and only suffer 2-4 rounds of breath attacks, but that one stripped a good 300 HP from me or so. Fortunately still had plenty of SP left for healing.

Speaking of healing, after reaching Sorcerer 53 I'm now going back to Healer to reduce the cost of the Heal and Restoration spells as I'm finding I need to cast those more and more often now that I'm mapping out DL 6. Minor Heal just doesn't cut it when you've got 200+ HP to recover.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Feb 10 2019, 06:27 PM
Post #46

Lord Fnorgle

Well, I've now officially gone deeper than I've ever done before.

Haven't got DL 6 fully mapped out yet, but there's a couple of teleporters in the northwest. One of them just teleported me elsewhere on DL 6, so I decided to go back and use the other one just so it would count as explored on my automap.

Oh dear, DL 8 eh?

Well, surprisingly this is Nothrya's first ever death. I kind of knew there wasn't much hope given that barely any of DL 7 is mapped yet, so I couldn't even blindly run in the general direction of stairs up, as I don't even know where they would be. So it was just a case of move around and hope for the best...sort of.

Long story short, I'm manoeuvring around a similarly-structured area from where I was teleported from and this happens.

Didn't even get to see the damn thing. I've survived Nastrums, Sistrums...but apparently a Grostrum is just too much.

Oh well, time to load Gnumen and pay for some rescuers in the hope that I won't have such a ridiculously long wait for rescue. Not that age is a problem right now but I don't want to get anywhere close to the point that it will be tongue.gif

EDIT: Success! Nothrya was returned and successfully restored to flesh. Now to give Gnumen some extra gold in case something silly like this happens again!

EDIT 2: As if the RNG were seeking to compensate me for my misfortune, on my next run down the Goblin Shamen of DL 3 dropped two Aards of Being. That's nice of them.

EDIT 3: Half an hour after the above mishap and I now have DL 6 fully mapped out. Let's see what dangers DL 7 brings.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Feb 10 2019, 07:47 PM
Post #47

Lord Fnorgle

Well, my first impression of DL 7 is that is a most cunning level. Walked right into a same-level teleporter with low SP and increasingly low HP, but thankfully was able to rush a path back to the stairs up and save myself.

The dungeon tried to trick me into walking into another teleporter by way of a Face South square, but thankfully the seeker levels earlier gained were enough to spot the teleporter and for once I was smart enough to actually stop myself before just walking on anyway. Dread to think where that would take me, wouldn't surprise me if I wound up on DL 10 or somewhere equally suicidal.

Otherwise though, once again Nothrya is holding her own against a lot of the enemies there. Not dominating the level by any means, but certainly gaining a fair wad of experience relatively quickly.

Compared to how I used to play Mordor in my teens, I know for a fact I'm playing a lot smarter than I used to back then. I was always too cautious I think, whereas now I'm taking much bigger risks than I used to and also placing more emphasis on exploring. I think though once I've mapped out DL 7 I'm going to roam DLs 6 and 7 for a while and use them as experience farms. I'm not going back to DL 8 again until the Teleport spell is cheap enough to cast in a pinch.

Anyway, Healer level is now 45 which is enough for one session methinks. Certainly encouraging to be gaining levels so quickly, I've always wanted to beat this game but the way I played it back in my teens just wasn't aggressive enough to get there. Got to be bold if you want to advance!

--------------------

+Quote Post
puma
post Feb 10 2019, 08:22 PM
Post #48

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,619
referrer:internet search

DL 7 is my favorite for roaming in the mid game. The water monsters are a great XP source that your Leprosy spell will generally take out quickly, and the laired bosses on 7 are some of the best for useful items. Whenever I'm leveling secondary guilds, DL 7 is where I spend the most time.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2019 - 04:15 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits