> New Player Guide (work in progress)
fischsemmel
post May 27 2020, 05:16 PM
Post #1

Mentor

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

Newbie Guide - Work in Progress - I'll edit/format and add some more guidance on town and the dungeon to go with the current installation, background, and party creation stuff when I'm motivated again.

Give me a TLDR you stupid fish sandwich!

If you don't want to read all this post but you do want to get playing asap without shooting yourself in the foot because you don't know squat about Mordor, try this (which is still pretty long but is mostly essential type stuff for a brand new player trying to not get curbstomped by monsters before you even get down to the 4th floor of the dungeon).

Create 4 new characters. A giant who can join the warrior guild, a giant who can join the seeker guild, an osiri who can join the healer guild, and an osiri who can join the thief guild. Make sure they each have 10 int and 10 wisdom or else they will have a hard time increasing their stats further in the game. Also give the giants at least 10 dex, 14 con, and the rest strength. When you load a character, press 'a' to 'a'sk the other characters to join you in a party. Go to the guild button in the town screen and while highlighted on each different party member, join the guild besides nomad that that character should be in. Leave the giant warrior as a warrior, but put the other characters back in nomad. Make sure nomad is the highest level guild because it helps you get more hit points than if other, non-warrior guilds are the highest. Go to the store and buy a weapon, leather armor, a cap, etc., on down the list of things you can wear and afford for each member, and then equip all that stuff. Click and drag party members in the party window so your nomad/seeker is on top (in front), then warrior, then nomad/healer, then nomad/thief in the back. This lets the seeker's stats do your exploring, makes the tough giants get in more melee swings and take more attacks from monsters. Enter the dungeon. (Double click on the dungeon map to make it full size, if you want; I prefer this). Select your nomad/thief and always keep him selected when about to enter a new room/combat (this lets his higher dexterity give you the initiative in combat, and lets his higher thieving skill protect you from monster thieves). Move only one space at a time, navigating with the dungeon map and the small graphic of what you are facing towards. Basically every room you enter will have some random monsters in it. The rooms closer to the town stairs will usually be less dangerous than those further into the dungeon. If monsters in the room you enter are hostile, you'll see a skull and crossbones. If peaceful, a green peace sign. If you press 'f' you will begin fighting. Each of your characters is defaulted to melee combat with the weapon you equipped in town. You should cut through stuff very easily, your giants likely gaining levels before your thief even gets to smack anything. But your thief gets to open chests/boxes you find that aren't magically locked! Press 'o' in a room with dead monsters and a box/chest to open it, only with your thief (which gives you a higher chance to disarm any traps that your thief may or may not have identified correctly). Items only drop from boxes/chests, never just kills. Watch the party window! Whenever someone gets hurt, return to the town stairs immediately (especially if they are also poisoned or diseased). Use any spell points your healer has to heal up everyone you can to reduce the amount of aging you experience resting when you return to town. Pressing 't' takes the stairs. Use the shop to sell loot, generally just selling everything un-identified. Levels and higher int/wis will let you partially ID items without paying, but you'll almost always want to fully ID something at the store before using it. Level up at guilds if needed. Put items to save and gold into the bank. Repeat. You'll die sometimes. The game can really be a dick when you run into a damn Tengu only a few rooms away from the stairs and it kills 3 of your dudes before you can even back out of the room... but resurrections aren't the end of the world for you as long as you have decent con and a tiny bit of luck. Explore more, stay off the second floor until you're maybe level 15-20s, stay off the third floor unless you already feel very comfortable on 2 and can buff your whole party with resistance to stoning and draining. If/when you pause leveling to max con, give tomes to one guy at a time so you can max at least someone more quickly to resume leveling to help carry the rest of the party to more tomes and loot. Join other guilds that sound fun or synergistic if you have extra gold and the stats for it; I strongly recommend sorcerer. I think that wraps up the TLDR wall of text. This basic advice will probably be able to carry you, with some perseverance and deaths, through 30+ hours of gameplay on the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floors of the dungeon. 4 will likely be a lot more hairy without knowing more little tricks or out-leveling it. And it only gets more FUN from there!

Intro:

I don't think we get a LOT of new players showing up to play our beloved, ancient dungeon crawler... but there are a few! Mordor is old and has, in my opinion, great dungeon crawling and progression gameplay if you don't mind the old interface and graphics (plus the balance oddities and mechanic quirks common to old games that you don't see as often in modern games that are getting patched and such).

So this is my attempt at putting together a pretty hefty guide for new players, trying to walk you through "getting started" with the game and elaborating on some of the stuff that is less than obvious just from going over the game manual and gameplay. There are quite a few other great stickies here, though I felt they didn't all do a great job aiming themselves at truly new players, so that was the reason for writing this up.

This guide definitely will not be without spoilers, though I think those will be limited to mechanics mostly rather than the content of specific levels/areas of the dungeon (see the dungeon spoilers http://dejenol.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1168 and dungeon super spoilers http://dejenol.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1167 threads for that sort of stuff). IF you want to try to learn the fine details of this ancient dungeon crawler's mechanics on your own, then definitely do not read this. Just a fair warning though, the game will be really, really challenging and possibly frustrating ... it certainly was something my teenage-self ragequit plenty of times back in the day because I didn't understand most of what was going on!

Installation:

Mordor won't run on a 64-bit system, so generally some work needs to be done to get this working on any computer you'd be using today. I install Oracle VM VirtualBox and use a guide I found on youtube about digging the Windows XP files out of a Microsoft "Windows XP Mode" download to create a virtual machine to run Mordor. The installation only takes maybe 10 minutes once you're familiar with it and gives you 30 days to use windows xp before it locks you out without a key to register (which I don't think you can do anyway cause the registration servers are down these days). But every 29 days you can always just drag your Mordor folder(s) off the virtual machine onto your desktop, get a new virtual machine set up, and drag your files back in to continue playing. There are other methods for some users of windows (the actual Windows XP Mode) or folks who have 32-bit systems and whatnot too, but I don't know much about that stuff. There are stickies in the http://dejenol.com/forum/index.php?showforum=5 forum section with more detail about getting set up.

The manual, aka helplesson (press F1 anwhere ingame)

The manual is pretty good stuff. It gives some story background, lots of basic and medium-level info about races, guilds, and spells. It also gives some bad advice sometimes. I haven't read it thoroughly in recent times so I can't comment on it all, but definitely read through the races, race statistics, guilds, guild statistics, and spells pages before you try playing. The parts on the game screen, character information (stats like strength, intelligence, etc), and commands are pretty good too. Lots of info is broken down on the pages about specific windows like the dungeon window, the shop window, etc., but you may not need all that.

So as you page through the helplesson, read through this stuff too for elaboration:

Race statistics:

Age is relevant moreso because of "complications" from a resurrection than anything else. When a character dies and is raised (you can get rescued and raised by NPCs for a price or by other characters) there is a small chance (based on constitution score I think) of running into complications. This causes big-time stat loss and other nasty stuff for your character. When a raise does fail, the chance of complications is basically based on your current age relative to your maximum age listed here. If you follow the info you'll find in here about healing before returning to town and other stuff, age is largely a non-issue.

Exp is a modifier in the exp required for level formula. I won't get into huge details, but the numbers on this page translate into something close to "a troll will need 25-30% more experience than a human" and everything inbetween you can guess for yourself.

Stats are a huge part of the game. The stats here are the minimum and BASE maximum stats for each race, which affect your attack, defense, item identification, spell casting and gear wearing and hit points and more. See the stats page for more general info on stuff each stat does for you. Each stat can be raised 5 higher than the BASE maximums listed here in the game by using different stat-boosting items, and gear you equip may modify those stats even further.

Alignment is relevant primarily for which guilds you can join, the most notable examples being Healers and Thieves can only be neutral. Most items ingame also are "aligned" a certain way too, and you don't get a full effect from an item if it isn't aligned to your alignment. Alignment also can affect how monsters in the dungeon of different alignments react to you... good monsters not being hostile towards a good character when you enter the room sort of stuff.

Racial size has a small affect on how hard you hit and get hit (being bigger means both you hit harder AND get hit less hard). Racial resistances, in my personal opinion, are cool to have for a new player and somewhat beneficial in the mid levels (like when you're fighting on dungeon floors 3-7 or so). But, for example, it just doesn't cut it to be 25% resistant to being turned to stone... 95% (attainable only from casted spells) is what you need. And, for example, being even 80% resistance to magic damage doesn't cut it when a wizard monster on the lower levels of the dungeon can nuke for 700 damage.

Guild Statistics:

Some info on hit points... AH is the average number of hit points you gain per level, up to the ML number, after which you will gain MH number of hit points for each level. Hit points only add on when you gain a level in your highest guild. Each level earned up until ML can also earn you bonus hit points based on high con (18 or higher). The interactions of these mechanics have resulted in an "Optimal Leveling Path" that you'll see mentioned by experienced players on the forums. TLDR is to the extent possible, you want to max your con ASAP and you want warrior to be your highest guild up until 28, then you want nomad to be the highest for 29 and 30, then you want wizard to be your highest until 41. This maximizes the number of AH and bonus hits you get. After that, you want your highest guild to be anything other than nomad, since only nomad gets 1 hit per level above ML instead of 2. If you cant follow the OLP completely, try to do it as much as you can. If you aren't a legacy party that is getting twinked with a bunch of stat boosting items, consider following the OLP guilds as best you can but not leveling any guild above some point between 10-20 as you feel comfortable until you max your con so you get at least 1/2 or 2/3 of the bonus hits that a legacy character would. Those early extra hit points make a big difference as you descend through the top several floors of the dungeon. Anyone can max their hits at 999 eventually, but it is a hell of a grind. If you can't/don't want to spend time as a warrior, nomad is the guild de jour for gaining hits 1-30.

EP is a factor in the exp required formula. It isn't linear, but nomads do level MUCH faster than anyone else, and spellcasters level the slowest of all.

QP is the percentage chance of needing to complete a monster-kill or item-fetch quest before you can gain a new level. If you "pin" (get enough exp to be 2 levels higher than you currently are) without completing a quest you can forfeit... but you get set back a ways. A guild like ninja, paladin, or villain pretty bothersome to level even with the lower exp requirements than a guild like sorcerer due to the quests.

Again, note that only certain alignments may join certain guilds.

The guild abilities chart gives you a non-linear, relative comparison of how good different guilds are at different stuff. A thief's 9 for thieving is significantly better than a scavengers 7.5 because of the way the formulas for disarming traps and whatnot work out. A warrior's 12 fighting is hugely superior to a seeker's 9, which is hugely superior to the caster guilds. Just a few levels of seeker will mean you notice pit traps and secret doors and such in the dungeon better than 100+ levels of nomad. Etc.

Spells:

The helpfile gives two breakdowns of spells, one by type of spell and one by guild.

Looking at the Fire Spells page, for example... base level means the "caster level" (guild level / 2 + 1) you first acquire that spell at and the minimum spell point cost of that spell (higher caster levels drive down spell costs in time). Required stats must be met to cast the spell, although this can include items that boost your stats, not just your base stats from race and item-boosting consumables like tomes. Monsters come in 1-4 groups, and spells have a limited number of groups they can target and monsters they can affect per group. Note that you only affect a 2nd or subsequent monster with a spell if the spell kills the first monster first. 10 monsters in a group? 10 hit points each? You cast a spell that hits 1 group of 10 monsters for 9 damage? Well, you've got 1 monster at 1 hit point and 9 behind him at 10 hit points still. This and spell point cost scaling generally makes it more important to cast a stronger spell that will wipe out all the monsters rather than a couple weaker spells that just wound or kill 1-2 at a time and leave more still alive.

Looking at the spells pages by guild just shows you all the spells each guild gets and at what caster level (not guild level).

The helpfile doesn't list them, but each combat spell has two numbers that you can see in game that go into a formula to determine the damage. The Shock spell for example, has "Damage: 10/1" listed on the ingame info page. The first number affects the base damage of the spell, and the second number shows how well that damage increases as your caster level increases. I won't get into the details; suffice it to say that both are important but the scaling/second number is often a bigger deal in the end. Although casting a spell that a monster isn't resistant or immune to is even more important most of the time smile.gif

Some more specific info about spells:

A lot of spells are fairly mandatory to have access to whether solo or full party. The most essential are resistance spells for stoning, draining, and (especially if solo) paralysis. Getting paralyzed solo very likely means you die, though it's less bad when you have a few buddies to finish off the monsters while you stand there getting beat up, and paralysis can happen already occasionally on the 2nd dungeon floor! Stoning means being petrified by the attacks of some monsters and is basically the same as dying, and can happen already on the 3rd dungeon floor. Draining attacks from monsters decrease your stats or hit points when they hit, and also start appearing on the 3rd floor. These attacks all become much nastier as you go deeper, which is why I mentioned above that some resistances just don't cut it unless they're 95 (all resist spells set your resist to 95 regardless of caster level) or maybe 90 (some items you find can give you 90 in a given resist).

On lower dungeon levels, eventually EVERY resistance at 90 or 95 is just about mandatory.

Some other buff spells become nearly mandatory very early as well, such as levitation (stops you from "drowning" in water, usually stops you from falling into pit traps and chutes leading to lower dungeon levels, protects against quicksand item loss).

Still more buffs aren't really mandatory but are amazingly useful: see invisibility (you deal 1/2 melee damage to invisible targets you can't see), protection (effectively gives a defense bonus that gets very significant as you level up), invisibility (many monsters don't see invis and so deal less damage to invisible players), healing (helps extend deep dungeon trips and reduces or eliminates aging from resting to heal up when you return to town).

Offensive magic is most useful in dealing with large groups of weaker enemies for the sake of speed or in blasting down very dangerous enemies more quickly than you could kill them with melee attacks. Many of the most powerful offensive spells are available in the "endgame" from powerful and rare magical items, allowing even a non-caster to fire off a "panic button" spell in an emergency... though those sorts of items are rare, appear late in the game, and come with limited charges and high level and stat requirements.

Other stuff I mentioned above:

It's worth knowing the hotkeys for the game. Look at the commands page and get to know the commands for navigating the dungeon and combat, casting spells via buffers and quickly changing party members, etc.

Character Creation, Character "Builds," Party Composition, etc.

In general...

Now that you have a bit of info about how the different races, guilds, and spells work, I'll cover the parts of the character creation screen and some info about individual character "builds" and party composition. This section might be a bit of a wall of text, but it's hard to discuss character creation without also covering Mordor's version of character "builds," party makeup, and more.

Race and starting stats can make or break your character/party because the first 30-40 levels for your character set the stage for progressing into the deeper levels of the dungeon. You can pull off a lot of combos of races and guilds mixed and matched in a character or in a party, but it gets tougher to manage it well without a lot of experience with the game if you stray too far (imo) from the strongest stuffs.

Anyway. A character can be in any number of guilds, which are Mordor's version of class/job, that you want, limited by race and alignment. Each guild starts at level 1 and earns experience independently of the others (remember the racial and guild exp mods we talked about above!). Guild levels determine (or at least contribute to) hit points, spell costs, combat ability, attack/defense, thieving ability, perception, and more. Guild powers don't stack; your backstabbing ability doesn't improve if you're a 100 thief and start leveling in scavenger too until you hit the point where your scavenger backstab is overall better than your thief one (which would be like, I don't even know, at 250-300+ scavenger at least I'm spitballing because of how the tables above aren't linear).

All characters start off as 1 nomad and can join a second guild (again, according to their race, alignment, and minimum stat requirements) for free. Subsequent guilds you try to join will cost something like 5-10 million gold each, which sounds like a ton as a brand new character but is really de minimus by the time you have like 20 hours into the game.

Almost all characters will be members of multiple guilds. Something like a 100 warrior/100 thief/100 healer will usually be a stronger character than the same amount of total experience dedicated straight to, for example, the villain guild (if I had to guess, I'd say it wouldn't even put you at 200 villain), even though the villain guild is a sort of hybrid combat/sneakster/caster guild. But don't let this scare you totally away from trying the generalist guilds. Themed parties can be fun, not having to swap between different guilds can be fun, not every race can join all the "best" guilds, etc.

Larger parties can have some more specialization per character, of course, but you'll still probably end up with 2 guilds minimum (in addition to nomad, which you may or may not even want to level up at all depending on your other guilds). For example, pure warrior just has spell points sitting around unused all the time, after all, while just 10% of his total exp pumped into sorcerer would let him use those spell points on useful defensive buffs every dungeon trip.

Hmm. At this point I'm having a hard time getting around to specific recommendations for character creation. There really are a lot of different ways you can go, whether you want to be a solo character focused on spellcasting or a duo that can do it all or a full party of specialized characters or a full party of balanced characters or something oddball. They can all work. The manual IIRC basically suggests you play as a Nomad for a couple dozen levels before you worry about branching out, but in my opinion that isn't the best because nomads only do two things well: level up fast and gain guild attack/defense fast. They're crap thieves (so you can't open magically locked chests and you trigger traps a lot), they're crap fighters (so you don't hit too hard), and they don't cast spells at all (and spells are crucially important for almost any character/party).

Basic new player recommendation

A very basic recommendation for starting as a brand newbie in Mordor to create 4 characters, give each at least 10 int and wis (so you can use the common, stat-boosting tomes when you find them), maybe put stats in to get some/all into warrior, thief, seeker, sorcerer, and/or healer ... then work on leveling nomad/warrior ahead of other guilds as you slowly explore out from the town stairs on the first floor. For a yolo game, spread into guilds you want and continue leveling and exploring deeper. For a "stronger in the long run" party, don't level any guild above 15 or so until you max that characters con (racial max + 5 more) to max early hit point gains.

The "best" guilds and races

A thief is by far the best way to open magically locked chests which tend to contain the best loot, and by far the best way to disarm traps that are on many of the non-locked chests too. Scavengers do these things ok, and are available to good or evil characters also. Other guilds don't fill this role well enough for a new player to rely on, imo. The sooner you have a character that can cast charm of opening (thief >> scav >>> the rest), the sooner you find more tomes to boost more stats!

Seeker is by far the best guild to help you explore the dungeon. You can detect traps and other obstacles 1 space in front of you randomly with perception. This is very important for a new player (explore new spaces slowly!) because a simple pit trap can kill a newer character, and a chute dropping you a few dungeon floors deeper is basically a total party kill! Eventually they let you teleport around the dungeon for fast travel stuff (but be wary of zapping yourself into solid rock or thin air wink.gif)

Warrior is by far the best melee combatant. Paladin, ninja, and seeker are pretty good too.

Healer is the only good healing option for a new player, imo. Mages can heal too, and paladins worse still, but they're too tricky to rely on early for a new player. Note that osiri can get the stats to join healer at 1 and can't be warriors so you'll level them in nomad for maximizing their hits regardless!

Sorcerer isn't essential at the beginning but IS essential for protective buffs (and also awesome for tons of powerful offensive spells) before too long.

Osiri are awesome. Acceptable casting stats, godly dexterity, nice con. Best thieves. An awesome 90% in 4 different resist categories. Great at all they can be. But hefty exp modifier, no warrior guild access.

Dwarves are nice. Above average casting and melee stats, overall just good.

Humans are cool. Can join all guilds (depending on alignment and stats). Lowest exp required, "enough" of every state.

Other races are niche or less great but thematic. Giants are melee monstrosities but only can join warrior and seeker (DOES make for a great chat in newbie parties though!). Elves get more spell points than anyone else but have a big exp mod and crap str and con (low hp!), no warrior guild. Gnomes are fine, but their stats are not a big deal for the lake of warrior and higher exp mod. Morloch con = yikes. Other races are very limited on guild choice even if they seem nice based on stats. (This stuff is imo but probably pretty objectively true.)

Other classes never really bring anything essential or do it better than those discussed above. Though sometimes they can work out well in a specific party/character theme or concept. And they're not really unviable or bad generally so much as overshadowed.

Mages are a curious case though. They get some potent damage spells but of limited variety. They get some utility spells at worse caster levels than seeker. They can heal but worse than healer. Their claim to fame is their ability to charm monsters to fight for then as companions. That's a whole subsection in itself, but suffice it to say it can be very useful if a significantly different type of gameplay than a no-companions character/party.

Rough to do list for this post, in no particular order:

- Editting, formatting
- party order elaboration/info
- a/d info
- spell damage info? charm/kill spells?
- charms, quests
- rare items, partial consumable sales, quests
- boxing elaboration
- exploration tips
- break down of different parts of town
- general tricks? free tome ID, lost/found in dungeon, escaping nasty rooms?
- peruse other guides for stuff to insert
- organization?
- touch up the "TLDR"

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: May 28 2020, 12:08 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post May 27 2020, 05:33 PM
Post #2

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

Nice one fischsemmel, a very comprehensive introduction there ok.gif

A topic like this deserves to be pinned methinks smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post May 27 2020, 07:23 PM
Post #3

Infiltrator

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ May 27 2020, 01:16 PM) *
Age is relevant moreso because of "complications" from a resurrection than anything else. When a character dies and is raised (you can get rescued and raised by NPCs for a price or by other characters) there is a small chance (based on constitution score I think) of running into complications. This causes big-time stat loss and other nasty stuff for your character. When a raise does fail, the chance of complications is basically based on your current age relative to your maximum age listed here. If you follow the info you'll find in here about healing before returning to town and other stuff, age is largely a non-issue.

I don't think constitution is a factor. Rather, the main factor is the level of the Healer casting the spell. The chance of success tops out at 98%. I'm not sure what the chance of success is at the morgue.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post May 27 2020, 07:53 PM
Post #4

Mentor

QUOTE (Roland @ May 27 2020, 03:23 PM) *
I don't think constitution is a factor. Rather, the main factor is the level of the Healer casting the spell. The chance of success tops out at 98%. I'm not sure what the chance of success is at the morgue.

Just tested with a brand-new, 21-con ogre and a brand-new, 3-con elf.

Ogre had 98% rez chance at the morgue. Elf had a 63% chance. The elf rez also failed and had complications, heh. Pretty damn unlucky for a 16-year-old elf!

That made me wonder if low con increased the chance of complications, so he went and died (and very quickly, too, even a single footpad can work over a -10 defense elf with 12 hits in a hurry) again. At "63%" he failed 4 times, then rezzed without complications. But a few more tries and he rezzed successfully, lost a point of con, no more complications.

Anyway. Yeah, con definitely plays a role in rez chance.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: May 27 2020, 08:06 PM

+Quote Post
crowbar_of_irony
post May 28 2020, 02:50 AM
Post #5

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,804
referrer:google

Many thanks for the guide!

What are some possible race/guild combo at the beginning of the game? I think it's impossible to get a elf or human healer at the beginning of the game (and trying to cross-reference the help with the character creation screen on Win3.1 is a headache inducing procedure). I think Elf/Sorcerer is possible and Giant/Warrior too, but I don't think anyone can get to Paladin at the start. And still read tomes.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post May 28 2020, 03:05 AM
Post #6

Mentor

QUOTE (crowbar_of_irony @ May 27 2020, 10:50 PM) *
Many thanks for the guide!

What are some possible race/guild combo at the beginning of the game? I think it's impossible to get a elf or human healer at the beginning of the game (and trying to cross-reference the help with the character creation screen on Win3.1 is a headache inducing procedure). I think Elf/Sorcerer is possible and Giant/Warrior too, but I don't think anyone can get to Paladin at the start. And still read tomes.

I don't know the possible and impossible combos off the top of my head really. Since I'm on xp I just always keep checking back and forth between the race stats and guild stats windows while I'm playing with different races/stats. Wizard and paladin at least are impossible to get to without gimping your int and wisdom. Most (or even all) races can get into guilds like warrior, scavenger, thief, sorcerer from the beginning by adjusting stats. Only osiri can get into healer from 1. IIRC every other healer-capable race is like ONE point short... laugh.gif

There's a "Mordor reference card" pdf floating around somewhere you could print out, it's just a few pages and has most of the good info from the entire manual in it. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&a...ShFYWt23OxoK0tx

When in doubt, just relying on nomad for early levels to get hits and a/d boosts and getting into one other guild you can reach easily with a given race is a good way to get rolling. In that sense, I almost prefer races that can't be warriors because you can just use Nomad early on for hits and a/d and not feel bad that you're losing out on a bit more hits that you'd pick up by having warrior from 1-28, and focus your stat points at creation into getting you into thief, sorcerer, or healer greatly help you with the early tome collection (without being legacy).

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: May 28 2020, 03:06 AM

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jun 19 2020, 05:10 AM
Post #7

Soldier

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Great post! I've also made some videos of stuff like this for people who like having it said or shown instead of just text. If there are any topics you want covered in more detail, just poke me and I'll get around to making a video when I can get my life together enough to do so tongue.gif

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzMr...mQSYzi6ev65Tccr

As far as race/guild combos for starter characters, the only entirely inaccessible guilds for fresh characters without stat boosts are the Paladin, Villain and Wizard guilds. There is simply no race with enough base stat allocations to allow you to join those guilds without first hitting the books (or potions).

Of the ones I DO remember though...

Warrior and Scavenger are pretty easy for any race that has them accessible to join, though certain races may struggle to both join AND stay above 10 int/wis. All non-wizard magic-casting guilds are available to at least someone. I'll need to double-check, but Elves can join either sorcerer or mage if they set up their stats (though not all spells will be available to them), and Osiri can join Healer at base stats (very helpful for a low-level party if you just want a heal bot so you aren't losing years of your life over the small scrapes you take at low levels, as aging by town-healing is %-based instead of raw numeric).

Troll and Human are the only two races that can start as a Ninja, and Osiri are the only race that are good enough to be a Thief, though their starting stats notably do NOT allow them to also cast charm of opening - they can join the guild, but they can't cast the spell without some help.

Dwarves, despite being some of the more versatile characters, are actually quite limited in what they can start as without stat increases. I think only Warrior and *maybe* Scavenger are accessible at base? Again, something I need to test. Probably a good subject for another T&T video...

Another note though - even though these races CAN start as these guilds, it's rarely recommended if you care about your CON score, as that will need to take a hit in a lot of cases in order to make many of these guild minimums (especially magic-casting ones). Generally-speaking, maxing starting CON and just focusing on Nomad or Warrior for a bit is better in the long-term, though there is something to be said about just saying "Screw optimization I want to cast spells right away!"

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jun 19 2020, 05:15 AM

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2020 - 11:46 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits