Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 3-char Party Adventure
MythrilZenith
post Apr 30 2020, 04:44 PM
Post #1

Soldier

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Heyo it's MythrilZenith, back again with more Mordor!

Well, kind of. I haven't started playing yet, but I've been brainstorming some ideas and I think I've come up with something good. Maybe it's a bit generic, maybe it's too simple or standard, but after playing 200+ hours with a solo Good Elf I want something a bit more... able to kill stuff in melee.

So I'm building a 3-man party. Warrior/Thief/Healer. I will still be doing Legacy (if only to get max Con at level 1), but my goal this time is to cut down on the constant job-changing that my Solo elf required. After 30 Nomad for the thief and healer, I am going to stick at least MOSTLY to a single class, with only minor leveling in a side class for some support spells (like Seeker for my Warrior for movement, or Sorcerer on a thief for resistances). My plan is not to level those classes to minimum casting cost, but maybe to like 30-50 for REASONABLE casting cost. Maybe I don't even need that much, but we'll see how much off-grinding I can stomach. I want to prioritize the major classes though, and might not even jump into the side classes until I really feel the lack of spells.
(playing Mordor without at least Dimension Door just feels wrong, though).

What are your recommendations? Right now my desire is to play the following:
-Warrior/seeker Giant
-Thief/Sorcerer Osiri?
-Healer/??? [human?]

The third character is really the biggest opening for me. Initially I was going to make this a duo-squad, but there's no way I'm going to be going down with absolutely no healing with a party that isn't Elves - age is a real problem if I'm not going elf!

I also am debating whether I really want Osiri, or if I should default instead of Dwarf or Human for my thief and/or healer...

((also I saw that we have a Discord now but all the discussion on it recently has just been about pirating the game so ehhh...))

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Apr 30 2020, 05:01 PM

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roland
post Apr 30 2020, 11:50 PM
Post #2

Infiltrator

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

Welcome back!

The obvious choice for Healer would be Dwarf. But Gnome might make for an interesting off-the-beaten-path choice.

Even if you don't want to level the Giant in Seeker right away, it might be useful to join the guild anyway. I think you get an immediate perception boost just from joining the Seeker guild.

+Quote Post
Nexus
post May 1 2020, 12:48 PM
Post #3

Explorer

Member No.: 4,359
referrer:Home of the Underdogs

Eventually you'll want to give your Warrior and your Healer a single level in Scav. That 2% chance of a backstab will pay for itself in the long run.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post May 1 2020, 01:08 PM
Post #4

Soldier

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

QUOTE (Nexus @ May 1 2020, 06:48 AM) *
Eventually you'll want to give your Warrior and your Healer a single level in Scav. That 2% chance of a backstab will pay for itself in the long run.

Reason to go Ogre? bleh.gif
Yeah Giant is locked to only Warrior/Seeker/Nomad but the Very Big size and 30 natural str cap pays for itself.

If I DO end up going Osiri thief then I'll be hurting for extra swings unless I level Scavenger. But then again, that's kind of the point of a limited-class run. Though I guess nothing says I can't just join a guild for the free bases it'll give me :thinking:

Much as I want to just do the duo, it hurts me too much so I'm going to bring in a 3rd. I had an evil Gnome Mage/Villain in my trailblazing 4-man party and as far as mages go the insanely high Charisma wasn't bad, though everything else just suffered. That said, if I'm ONLY leveling healer, then why does it really matter what race I do? Dwarf is traditional, and Osiri is infamous (highest EXP requirement combo in the game), but heck maybe I might just go Human. Though the lack of natural resistances is gonna suck... sleep.gif

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Roland
post May 1 2020, 05:57 PM
Post #5

Infiltrator

The lack of extra swings won't hurt a Thief - it's not like he's going to wield a GKH. He'll get plenty of swings with a Vorpal Blade or Dagger of Swiftness. His biggest weakness will be low defense, so you'll have to keep at the back of the party.

+Quote Post
Nexus
post May 2 2020, 12:53 PM
Post #6

Explorer

Member No.: 4,359
referrer:Home of the Underdogs

Sure, if you want to level Scavenger seriously you might want an Ogre. But what I mean is that any character other than a Villain, Ninja, or Thief can benefit from the 2% backstab chance you get from just signing up to Scav. Even the most dedicated spellcaster has to swing his dagger now and then, and getting a backstab kill at an opportune time has saved my bacon more than once. The 4.7 million it costs is play money by the time you venture down to about level 3.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post May 18 2020, 03:36 AM
Post #7

Mentor

Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

QUOTE (Nexus @ May 2 2020, 08:53 AM) *
Sure, if you want to level Scavenger seriously you might want an Ogre. But what I mean is that any character other than a Villain, Ninja, or Thief can benefit from the 2% backstab chance you get from just signing up to Scav. Even the most dedicated spellcaster has to swing his dagger now and then, and getting a backstab kill at an opportune time has saved my bacon more than once. The 4.7 million it costs is play money by the time you venture down to about level 3.

Just as a random bit of info, doing something like this can actually really hurt your melee damage in some niche situations. When I played a themed party of "pure" spellcasters, then eventually got fed up with it and figured I'd add 1 level of warrior in for the crit and better combat modifier, my damage suddenly plummted. I believe that what happened was the game decided warrior 1 was giving me a higher "Fighting Guild Ability" score on the "Guild" tab ingame... so then the damage formula was using the level 1 from warrior instead of the level 250 or whatever from the caster guild. Though yeah, it's a really unusual situation since almost nobody will have hundreds of caster levels without at least 28 nomad, and if you pound out a quick 50 scav/warrior/whatever levels it'll quickly catch up to where the 200+ caster was at for damage per swing.

Anyway - Hey Mythril smile.gif

Giant warrior/seeker is great. He'll get so much exp hitting so hard in melee that you'll be able to get a ton of warrior levels and still more than enough seeker levels to be casting seeker spells whenever you dare.

Personally I certainly love Osiri for thieves (or literally anything they can possibly be). That dex is just so great for all the disarming and initiatives. And I value their innate resistances very highly, especially in smaller or solo parties (or when you're purposely not minimizing sorcerer buff costs) because you basically never need to worry about casting electrical, mental, or acid resistance, which saves you a lot of spell points, though I still cast stoning resist for the extra 5%. Dwarves are still nice though, between the lower exp requirement and little bit extra strength and wisdom. And despite needing full arrays of buffs or resistance gear and having a short lifespan, I've enjoyed the humans I've played too for their quick leveling and wide range of guilds available.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: May 18 2020, 03:47 AM

+Quote Post
Roland
post May 18 2020, 03:34 PM
Post #8

Infiltrator

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ May 17 2020, 11:36 PM) *
Just as a random bit of info, doing something like this can actually really hurt your melee damage in some niche situations. When I played a themed party of "pure" spellcasters, then eventually got fed up with it and figured I'd add 1 level of warrior in for the crit and better combat modifier, my damage suddenly plummted. I believe that what happened was the game decided warrior 1 was giving me a higher "Fighting Guild Ability" score on the "Guild" tab ingame... so then the damage formula was using the level 1 from warrior instead of the level 250 or whatever from the caster guild. Though yeah, it's a really unusual situation since almost nobody will have hundreds of caster levels without at least 28 nomad, and if you pound out a quick 50 scav/warrior/whatever levels it'll quickly catch up to where the 200+ caster was at for damage per swing.

Yeah, one of the game's bugs is that it gives you the fighting ability of whichever of your guilds has the highest guild rating in fighting. So if you have any levels in Warrior, it will trump all other guilds, and you will fight according to your Warrior level. I don't know whether that also affects crit or backstab.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2020 - 09:06 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits