> [Mostly] Blind Party Play
BangleTiger
post Apr 23 2020, 05:59 AM
Post #1

Student

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 7,720
referrer:Google

Hi all, I recently have returned to Mordor 1.1 after.....many years of playing the shareware from scratch over and over again. I'm very familiar with the beginning of the game, but pretty ignorant of what lies in store deeper in the Depths of Dejenol.

I hope to chronicle my experiences in this thread with the hopes that my tales might be entertaining to read. From my Newb Thread I've only cleared level 1 with a precursor character and farmed through a few hundred stat items in order to kick the party off (since I'm pretty sure I'll need every point of CON to brave the depths unknown). Other than the gift of stat points, the party will be playing blind, without any high level characters to help (at the time of writing this, I plan to delete the precursor character) or legacy equipment to empower.

With that, please meet the cast:

1. "Jhanny Wytenyte" Paladin/Ninja Human. Incapable of answering questions of even the most basic nature due to a childhood trauma involving a bag of sugar, this adventurer was naturally suited for the Paladin guild. And as we all know, the best heroes are also Ninjas, at least according to Jhanny.

2. "Henry Healios" Warrior/Healer Dwarf. A retired battle medic who copes with the traumas of battle with an odd mix of innocent puns and dark / morbid humor (or, as he likes to call it, "the fifth humour"). The "fifth", in the case, may also refer to stout Dwarven mead...it's not really clear which is which. Supposedly when questioned on why a healer would ever want to join the Warrior's Guild, Henry replied "Ye dun hafta heal yer friends if yer enemies are all dead. An' ya also end up with fewer dead friends," before inquiring if the guild counters also served alcohol.

3. "FDR Keepersons" Seeker/Thief Osiri. No lock unopened, no stone unturned. Not much is known about this adventurer. The only rule this classic rouge abides by is a simple one: Finders Keepers. We're pretty sure this isn't his real name.

4. "Basche Catchem" Gnome Mage/Sorcerer. An adventurer with a passion for monster taming, he's afflicted with a malady of the oddest musical sensation. Maybe, just maybe if he manages to fill Confinement with every monster in existence, the voices in his head (and more importantly, the infernal song they incessantly sing) MIGHT just go away. Prefers to either defend and occasionally cast spells, or leave the fighting entirely to his companions.

Our party is a group of level 1 Nomads. They only have 1,500 gold pieces to each of their names and a collection of tomes/potions that a random Giant gave to each of them with an odd message, "Top off your stats before delving into the Depths. This is the only advantage you're gonna get." The party has a funny feeling that they'll never see this Giant again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Apr 23 2020, 07:46 AM
Post #2

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

Wow, I really like the back-stories you've come up with for those characters smile.gif

To be honest there's nothing wrong with allowing precursor characters to help out with legacy characters, certainly in the past a lot of members on here during the forum's busier years were quite open about it, but obviously it's all down to personal preference as to what you feel comfortable with.

Good luck with the party, I look forward to hearing of their exploits smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Apr 23 2020, 06:18 PM
Post #3

Infiltrator

Member No.: 8,408

Since Warriors get more hit points per level than Nomads, it might be better to start Henry in Warrior and skip (or at least postpone) Nomad.

Good luck!

+Quote Post
BangleTiger
post Apr 24 2020, 03:30 AM
Post #4

Student

QUOTE (Roland @ Apr 23 2020, 01:18 PM) *
Since Warriors get more hit points per level than Nomads, it might be better to start Henry in Warrior and skip (or at least postpone) Nomad.

Good luck!

Indeed. I'm doing just that -- I simply wanted an initial Nomad level or two experience for the RP purposes. The uh...results of which have not disappointed.

+Quote Post
BangleTiger
post Apr 24 2020, 03:39 AM
Post #5

Student

Day 1:
Less than 5 minutes into their VERY FIRST adventure into the Depths, the entire party was wiped out by a pair of zombies.

And they were never heard from again...

...until the band of level 1 Nomads awoke a few weeks later in the Morgue. According to the morgue attendant, an anonymous friendly Giant dropped them off after "nearly tripping over their pathetic corpses basically next to the entrance to the Depths. Seriously, I look away for a SECOND..." Thankfully, the town guilds have a public fund to pay for the resurrection of novice adventurers, though with the frail state of their bodies, it's hardly much of a resurrection.

After this initial disaster, the party made sure to use the Tomes/Potions they had been gifted before earning a few levels with the Nomad Guild to increase their survivability. Although it was still a bit early for our adventurers to truly start progressing in their desired guilds, everyone was eager to pledge their interests, and managed to sign up with at least one of their non-Nomadic disciplines...

---JOINING GUILDS---

Jhanny immediately enlisted as a Paladin with little issue the moment he walked into the guild hall and declared "I AM A PALADIN." If he says so, then he is, right?

Henry was accepted into the Warrior's guild after a brief display of martial prowess. And drinking prowess. It is unclear which part was the acceptance test.

FDR left the party while they were perusing the general store and returned awhile later claiming that he had successfully joined a 'Guild'. Jhanny offered to buy FDR a leather girdle in celebration, but strangely, FDR didn't seem interested in the potential gift, rather, he kept cautiously eyeing the shopkeeper and insisting in a low voice that it was "time to go before they noticed." He kept mentioning the Thieves' Guild, but that's not a real guild....is it?

Basche Catchem failed his first attempt to charm a companion for his Mage's guild initiation. His basic Charm Insect spell had seemingly no effect on a Giant Centipede. Henry and Jhanny deftly defeated the insect before Basche had a chance to recast his charm. Two rooms later (after a brief encounter with a brown bear), a pair of giant owls offered to join the party of their own will. "Charmed" monsters in tow, the party hoofed it back to town. The Mage's guild rep was impressed with the results, muttering to another Mage about how "groundbreaking" it was that Basche was able to charm an Owl with such a weak spell intended for basic insects. Basche...declined to correct the rep on exactly how he came into possession of the Owls. After all, a Companion is a Companion, however one managed to acquire them, right?

Later, Basche did Charm a Giant Spider, but the pair of owls kept eyeing the spider as one tends to eye a snack. Plus FDR seemed...nervous at the idea of having an 8 legged ally, and insisted on staying in the back of the party where he could keep his eye on the "damned thing". Basche agreed to sell all three companions into Confinement. Partially to relieve FDR's concern...and also because they really needed the gold to identify the items FDR kept "finding" in their travels.

---STORYTIME | Early Quests ---

QUEST GET: Henry must Defeat a Brown Tyke for the Warrior's guild.

No one in the party had ever heard of such a creature, let alone encountered one. After scouring most of the first level without any luck, the party returned to town empty-handed...

Warrior's Guild Rep: "Ah Henry, welcome back. Congratulations on completing your quest."
Henry: "About that. 'im afraid 'ive fai- wait what?"
Warrior's Guild Rep: "We know it may have seemed cruel to task you with defeating an invisible monster, but it is important to learn early on that some enemies are not so easily found."
Henry: "An invisible....monster."
Warrior's Guild Rep: "Smart thinking on acquiring Ultravision for your quest. Many fledgling Warriors only think with their brawn and ignore their Brains. This is definitely an early weedout test, and you passed."
Henry: "Ultra-vision...Right...I mean, 'f course I did...that. Absolutely. I have great...brains."

QUEST COMPLETE!

QUEST GET: FDR Must defeat a Giant Spider for the Nomad guild.

FDR: "Hey....uh Bache?"
Basche: "Yeah?"
FDR: "Remember that spider you loaned to Confinement?"
Basche: "You mean, the one I sold to Confinement because of your phobia?"
FDR: "Yeah, about that...sold, loaned. Same thing. What matters is we can get it back, right?"
Basche: "I suppose we could ask Confinement to sell it back to us. Why, did you have a change of heart?"
FDR: "Not exactly..."
Basche: "..."

QUEST COMPLETE!

For now our adventurers are focusing on beefing up before delving too far into their professions (though Jhanny and Henry were able to skip progressing as a Nomad and focus on early Paladin/Warrior levels). Hopefully they will all hit level ~28-30 to give them a reasonable Max HP before their journey starts in earnest...

+Quote Post
BangleTiger
post Apr 27 2020, 04:47 PM
Post #6

Student

---Basche's first Feather Essence Spell--

FDR, Henry, & Jhanny: "WE CAN FLY?!"
Basche: "Well, it's not exactly flight per se. It's more of a levitation spell. Very useful for avoiding those pesky Pit traps we've found in the Depths. Ah, there's one right over there. Allow me to demonstrate."
*As the party travels onto the Pit trap tile, everyone else magically levitates over the hazard....except for Basche. Somehow he still manages to fall into the pit, taking 23 points of damage*
Henry: "You call that Flying?"
Jhanny: "Of course not....he was falling with STYLE"
---------

--The Ballad of Goblie--
Being a Paladin, Jhanny naturally draws a crowd, whether in the streets of the city or in the Depths. For the latter, it's usually a crowd of enemies, bent on ending the party's lives. But Paladins are used to being flashy, so it was no surprise (to Jhanny at the very least) when a young Goblin approached them near the entrance...

Goblin: "I'm Goblie! Please don't hurt me.."
Jhanny: "Hold, tiny creature. We're on important Guild Business."
*Goblie's beady red eyes lit up*
Goblie: "OHMYGASH, are you...ADVENTURERS?"
Jhanny immediately seized the opportunity to brag. "Not JUST Adventurers....I'm a Paladin."
Goblie: "WOAAAAAAAAHHHH. That means you're a HERO Right? Oh pleasepleaseplease will you teach me to be strong like you?"
Jhanny: "Slow down there, green....thing. It takes a lot of practice, training, and inherent skill to be as powerful as I. But....perhaps you could carry my stuff around for me."

Thinking nothing of the party's destination that day (nor the grave danger said destination posed to this fledgling Goblin), the party set out into the dungeon.

Henry: "Goblins aren't very bright creatures, are they?"
Basche shook his head. "The Mage's guild has several in Confinement. They're a runty off-breed of Orc...without any of the strength or size. Not really useful for much of anything on the battlefield, though I suppose we've seen our fair share of them employed as basic servants in the city."
FDR: "Not servants -- slaves. The Orcs see them as a disgrace to their reputation on account of the green-skinned complexion they share, so they enslave the weaker race and force them into manual labor, or sell them. Never have much treasure on them."
Henry: "Well as long as Goblie is Jhanny's charge. I dun want 'ta be responsible for healing the little bugger."

On that particular outing, the party was on a mission to map out part of the second level of the Depths--deeper than they had ever delved before. After surviving several new enemy types in singles and pairs, they encountered an Orc Slave Master with a dozen Goblin Slaves in tow. And in the distance, a Giant figure lumbered towards the blossoming melee....

FDR: "They have a Slave Masher!"

Many enemies were slain on the battlefield -- including the Orc Captain (but not before using his slaves as meat shields in battle). In a twist of irony the Slave Masher mashed the only Goblin in the area that wasn't a slave.

Jhanny: "NOOOOOOO! MY PEON!"
Jhanny rushed to collect the broken green figure on the dungeon floor as Henry cut down the Slave Masher. (Dwarf vs. Giant? Classic)

Unfortunately, the Morgue was unable to resurrect the fallen companion. The party decided to hold a small funeral to commemorate their late ally.

Henry, Basche, & FDR: "Rest in peace, Goblie"

Jhanny: "IT HAD A NAME?"

R.I.P Goblie | Today - Today | 0 / 0 HP

[NOTE: this is a dramatization of the Goblie Glitch due to a Clean Up's acid attack]

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Apr 30 2020, 04:12 PM
Post #7

Soldier

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Love the character you're putting into these! It reminds me of back when I very first started playing Mordor - even though I was playing solo characters I would still have moments where I would think about them.

One of the few moments when young me was making an actual party, it was also a party of fresh characters that involved one from me, one from my brother, and one from a friend. For some reason we also password-locked our characters (granted we were all playing on the same computer so it made sense at the time). I remember us going out after only getting a few levels, and we encountered a Tengu. We all died except for that friend's character, who killed the vicious Tengu with single-digit HP left and barely made it back to town.

The only reason I even remember this is because that character remained on our install for YEARS, and we couldn't remember their password. The character was named Paint, and for some reason, YEARS later, I remembered the password - demon. It was just a silly level like 6 nomad, but the story remains in my memory all the same.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Nexus
post Apr 30 2020, 04:29 PM
Post #8

Explorer

Member No.: 4,359
referrer:Home of the Underdogs

Ha! This was a blast to read. Nice work!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post May 18 2020, 03:51 AM
Post #9

Mentor

Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Apr 30 2020, 12:12 PM) *
Love the character you're putting into these! It reminds me of back when I very first started playing Mordor - even though I was playing solo characters I would still have moments where I would think about them.

This.

Hell. I still will end up showerthoughting about my Mordor characters when I get deep into a playthrough. Imagining Requnix and Merlin scheming about bribing the questmaster to screw me over so that I don't supplant them as guildmasters, picturing my dude coming up out of the dungeon without a scratch on him and taking a few minutes to sell loot and train at the guild hall before charging back into the depths, etc. laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th September 2020 - 11:29 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits