> Reviving Mordor XP, Developing Mordor XP around a crowdsourcing principle
Einherje
post Oct 22 2017, 09:06 AM
Post #1

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,308
referrer:Google

This post is aimed at all the regulars on this forum, especially Braindead.

I work in software development and would like to revive this project, if it has truly, as the lack of activity suggests, been abandoned. Keep in mind, that this is not an attempt at coup d'etat, but rather a wish from a fan to see the project realized.

For this I would need the following:
  • The blessing of Braindead and the development team
  • Access to assets from the former project
  • The work and dedication of a handful of Mordor veterans who know the mechanics of David Allen's original Mordor intimately

I intend to build the game from scratch around the following principles:
  • The game will be written in C#. The client might be done in Unity, while a server application will be written as a windows service.
  • I will design an XSD-based data model which allows for easy data entry from the community in plain XML. A designated community member will be responsible for maintaining and extending the model as the need arises. I will update my model classes automatically by means of XSD.EXE as the data model grows.
  • Business logic pertaining to all game related flow, like combat, will be designed by the community. A designated panel of community members will collect and consolidate inputs and formalize documentation hereof for me to implement.
  • Development will be Scrum based, featuring small, self-contained, playable increments. I will design and maintain a roadmap with clear milestones. It will have a time schedule for the laugh.gifs.

Let me know what you think.

This post has been edited by Einherje: Oct 22 2017, 09:07 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Jason
post May 1 2019, 03:09 PM
Post #2

Drifter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,719
referrer:Google

QUOTE (korexus @ Apr 30 2019, 02:33 PM) *
Java. Ugh. wink.gif

It's a personal choice though. A language you know, or something you want to learn makes sense for this sort of project. The game's unlikely to get to the point where choice of language is your biggest problem.

For images, check out https://opengameart.org/ . It's very varied, but a lot of it is very good, and available under permissive licenses. For audio I'm not sure. I remember someone mentioned making some new music a little while ago, I think it was rb10c, but I can't seem to search his posts to check. There is probably something out there that can be used for free/sheap, but it may take more hunting.

korexus.

QUOTE (Mordion @ Apr 30 2019, 08:02 PM) *
The most important thing is to use a language you know. Java is great if you're making a windowed game like M1. If you want to do 3D, then use Unity or Unreal. You don't want to have to learn OpenGL while simultaneously developing a game. If you try to learn a new language + new 3D API + make a game simultaneously you have a roughly 0% chance of succeeding.

Windowed game with clip art is the way to go. Mordor is a content heavy game with hundreds of monsters and items. Just typing all that in Excel is a lot of work and that doesn't include the game engine.

Agreed. Java isn't too bad. I have more experience with C/C++ but java probably comes in second. For something like this project, java makes the most sense I think. I wouldn't be utilizing 3D graphics for this. From people who have been posting on here, it seems there are some who like the fact that is isn't graphic or resource intensive (original Mordor), so I'd probably want to design my project to be similar. Just more modern and open source. I mean, look at this old game, and how much it's still loved and how much people want a remake. It's not fancy 3D graphics and such that makes it so loved.

I'm going to mostly focus on coding and not worry as much about assets. As it comes along, I'm sure others will want to help out with that stuff for me and could probably handle it better. I'll stick to what I'm best at. I am already aware of opengameart.org but thanks.

QUOTE (Wabbit @ May 1 2019, 03:10 AM) *
Ooo look - I've just remembered about this site! smile.gif

Was having a reminisce on route to work today, and wanted to get back to Mordor.

The choice of language is a huge factor when programming.

I'm a professional C++ developer, while the Mordor MP was written in [I think] VB6 - been a while since I was able to work on it, and as such I am unable to work at my fullest with this source code.

I'm considering re-grabbing the source and trying to convert it to C++ / Java / C#, which of course is not exactly a quick task.

"Unfortunately" I'm still a full time developer, with a family, which means after a full days coding, coming home to the family doesn't leave too much time/desire to code at home as well.

Ya, I understand. I have family to contend with as well. It can be hard to find time for personal projects. And ya, Mordor was written in Visual Basic. Quite the interesting choice for a game like that but I guess it worked out alright, mostly.

Good to see such interest and quick replies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2019 - 01:41 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits