IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Rodrom feedback thread, Thread for requests for feedback on Rodrom related stuff.
Jason
post Jan 6 2020, 05:19 PM
Post #21

Drifter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,719
referrer:Google

QUOTE (ghezra @ Jan 4 2020, 04:18 PM) *
So like.. can you have a discord or a github, or something we can use to track and engage with this project?

I only say because projects like this have come, got us all excited, and then vanished to never be heard from again, and worst case scenario, if you want to finish working on it and be done, we could potentially pick up the pieces and keep driving it.

sad.gif I just want to see your (our) dreams come to a reality!

It looks extremely promising and well laid out so far.

Ya, github sounds like a good idea. I just have to figure out how it all works since I've never used it before. So I'm going to start working on that and I'll keep you guys posted. Lets hope it's pretty easy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ghezra
post Jan 6 2020, 08:29 PM
Post #22

Journeyman

Member No.: 6,733
referrer:Other forums (Bay 12 games)

QUOTE (Jason @ Jan 6 2020, 11:19 AM) *
Ya, github sounds like a good idea. I just have to figure out how it all works since I've never used it before. So I'm going to start working on that and I'll keep you guys posted. Lets hope it's pretty easy.

With github, you have to be cognizant of how you want your code to appear. I don’t know if github will let you hide your code for free, but I know bitbucket will. Are you ok with other people submitting commits/code help, privatizing it though means that people can’t as easily game the system by knowing the underlying algorithms used for spawning/hits/etc.

Almost every company uses some form of git repo for code, so it’s an important skill to get in the habit of.

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jan 6 2020, 09:21 PM
Post #23

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

QUOTE (ghezra @ Jan 6 2020, 09:29 PM) *
With github, you have to be cognizant of how you want your code to appear. I don’t know if github will let you hide your code for free, but I know bitbucket will. Are you ok with other people submitting commits/code help, privatizing it though means that people can’t as easily game the system by knowing the underlying algorithms used for spawning/hits/etc.

Almost every company uses some form of git repo for code, so it’s an important skill to get in the habit of.

Github does allow private repositories for free users these days, and you can add individual contributors to them if you know the appropriate user names.

That said, public projects can often be more successful. - Yes, people can see the underlying code and exploit it, but equally people can see those potential exploits and submit improvements.

Drop me a line if you need github help. I'm fairly well versed, and it's not always obvious to newcomers.

korexus.

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jan 6 2020, 09:37 PM
Post #24

Drifter

Ok, it's up now on github. I don't know how you go about finding it exactly, though. I'm guessing https://github.com/hossumquat/Rodrom will take you there. Have a look and let me know if I screwed anything up majorly or anything korexus. smile.gif Any feedback or tips are welcome. Otherwise I'll just make this up as I go along.

It would be cool if we could have a jar file, maybe that people could just launch by going to a URL? I know nothing about how to make that happen though. I know how to write code but beyond that I don't know how to do much so we'd need someone else who knows that aspect of things.

And ya, I'm fine with it being public. People want to snoop around in the code and find exploits, let them. They are just ruining their own fun.

+Quote Post
ghezra
post Jan 7 2020, 01:03 AM
Post #25

Journeyman

QUOTE (Jason @ Jan 6 2020, 03:37 PM) *
Ok, it's up now on github. I don't know how you go about finding it exactly, though. I'm guessing https://github.com/hossumquat/Rodrom will take you there. Have a look and let me know if I screwed anything up majorly or anything korexus. smile.gif Any feedback or tips are welcome. Otherwise I'll just make this up as I go along.

It would be cool if we could have a jar file, maybe that people could just launch by going to a URL? I know nothing about how to make that happen though. I know how to write code but beyond that I don't know how to do much so we'd need someone else who knows that aspect of things.

And ya, I'm fine with it being public. People want to snoop around in the code and find exploits, let them. They are just ruining their own fun.

I’m on a business trip but you can create “releases” that can be the release Jar along with a version number and patch notes.
So you have a history of the versions that people are testing via downloading the releases. And as people find bugs they can submit it in the bug tracker and can be fixed by you or contributors.

I don’t want to make this project feel like it isn’t yours though. I’d of course want the main outlines of functions etc to be yours if you’d like. But we can also contribute images etc for items and monsters although assets typically don’t get tracked in git repos because of the binary load.

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jan 7 2020, 09:59 PM
Post #26

Voyager

QUOTE (Jason @ Jan 6 2020, 10:37 PM) *

That looks like it's working as you'd want it. I see you've been playing around with pull requests. Nothing wrong with that, but they're mostly useful when an least two people are invoved, and one person wants to review what the other one has done. For your use case you can just as easily merge branches locally before you push, or even [gasp] develop directly on master.

QUOTE (Jason)

Java's not really my strong suit, but it's a popular language and there are plenty of build environments out there. There's certain to be something that will package up jar files for you, triggered by pushed to github if you want. CI workflows rock. cool.gif

When you say launch by going to a URL, are you thinking of a game that plays in the browser, or a game that you download and then play locally? Bothare possible, but what you've got currently is more suited to the latter.

korexus.

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jan 8 2020, 01:05 AM
Post #27

Drifter

QUOTE (korexus @ Jan 7 2020, 04:59 PM) *
That looks like it's working as you'd want it. I see you've been playing around with pull requests. Nothing wrong with that, but they're mostly useful when an least two people are invoved, and one person wants to review what the other one has done. For your use case you can just as easily merge branches locally before you push, or even [gasp] develop directly on master.

Ya, I was following the github Hello World guide and it walked me through doing pull requests and branching and stuff. Figured it would be good to know for later.

QUOTE (korexus @ Jan 7 2020, 04:59 PM) *
Java's not really my strong suit, but it's a popular language and there are plenty of build environments out there. There's certain to be something that will package up jar files for you, triggered by pushed to github if you want. CI workflows rock. cool.gif

When you say launch by going to a URL, are you thinking of a game that plays in the browser, or a game that you download and then play locally? Bothare possible, but what you've got currently is more suited to the latter.

What's CI workflow? Anyway, I was looking at Java Web Start and that might be an option. I was just thinking it would be easier for people. Right now it's a download source, compile and run locally kind of game. Have you managed to get it running yet?

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jan 9 2020, 08:39 PM
Post #28

Voyager

QUOTE (Jason @ Jan 8 2020, 02:05 AM) *
What's CI workflow? Anyway, I was looking at Java Web Start and that might be an option. I was just thinking it would be easier for people. Right now it's a download source, compile and run locally kind of game. Have you managed to get it running yet?

CI is Continuous Integration, the basic concept is that you make lots of little changes to a project, and build each one as you go. That way, when one of them introduces a bug you know exactly when it went wrong.

The tooling around this generally works that you push some code to source control, a remote system notices that, runs any automated tests you've defined on the system, and if they pass deploy it somewhere. Quite a lot of providers even off this for free at low throughput, in the hope that developers will use the service for their personal projects, and then recommend them at work.

That process could build an executable from your Java source, which people could download and run, or it could provide a target for a Java Web Start link, or it could deploy a webserver which allows access to your Java app. Setting up any of those would be outside my knowledge though.

I haven't tried getting it running. Downloading and compiling source code isn't actually difficult, but it's enough of a hurdle to put me off. I suspect you'll find a lot of other people are similarly lazy!

korexus.

+Quote Post
ghezra
post Jan 10 2020, 02:51 PM
Post #29

Journeyman

After I get home tonight, I'll do a pull request, and I'll build and play with it.

Do you have a design doc for how you want different pieces to look/feel if I have time to work on a piece? Is there a piece you'd like me to attempt some solutions for while you dive into the section you're currently working on?

I'd want to contribute smartly and not be coding something you're already working on.

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jan 10 2020, 07:06 PM
Post #30

Drifter

QUOTE (ghezra @ Jan 10 2020, 09:51 AM) *
After I get home tonight, I'll do a pull request, and I'll build and play with it.

Do you have a design doc for how you want different pieces to look/feel if I have time to work on a piece? Is there a piece you'd like me to attempt some solutions for while you dive into the section you're currently working on?

I'd want to contribute smartly and not be coding something you're already working on.

Not really. I was just hoping someone could try and build and run it to see if that's doable or if there is something I've overlooked. Once that's done, I was hoping to get first impressions/feedback. I wasn't really looking at work being done yet. I supposed I need to start doing design lead duties and come up with some documents.

To start with, if you get it running, F3 gets you into the editor mode, and F2 back into game mode. I'm thinking most of the work need to be done in the editor first, so the game has data to work with.

Should I just make a /docs directory and put the all the documents in there? Or is there a more preferred way to handle it instead of including it in the repository? It makes sense to me but I don't see other projects doing it on github that I can see so maybe it's not the best way.

+Quote Post
ghezra
post Jan 10 2020, 08:03 PM
Post #31

Journeyman

You can create a wiki off of the github repo to put information in like this temporarily if you want. Using a /docs/ folder isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s whatever is easiest for you.

+Quote Post
ghezra
post Jan 11 2020, 06:23 AM
Post #32

Journeyman

Yeah... having the hardest time getting your code to actually compile.

I've imported the two jar's you included as libraries, Which IDE do you use?

EDIT:

Nevermind, finally got it to work, just a bunch of intellij tomfoolery.

I've built a Jar and this zip allows someone to play v0.1
Rodrom v0.1

This post has been edited by ghezra: Jan 11 2020, 07:00 AM

+Quote Post
Jason
post Jan 11 2020, 06:20 PM
Post #33

Drifter

QUOTE (ghezra @ Jan 11 2020, 01:23 AM) *
Yeah... having the hardest time getting your code to actually compile.

I've imported the two jar's you included as libraries, Which IDE do you use?

EDIT:

Nevermind, finally got it to work, just a bunch of intellij tomfoolery.

I've built a Jar and this zip allows someone to play v0.1
Rodrom v0.1

I'm using eclipse. Seems like everyone else is always using intellij. I don't know why; maybe I should be using it too? Anyway, glad to hear you got it working. Thanks for sharing an executable with everyone.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st June 2020 - 08:36 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits