> The Explorer Challenge, navigate the dungeon using only hand-written maps
Crashland
post Nov 6 2009, 06:26 PM
Post #1

Teacher

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 4,781
referrer:Yahoo search engine

It was when I read Danjen's "The Sage Challenge" that I received the inspiration to write up this challenge.

Basically, you must start with a new, solo character and try to explore as much of the dungeon as possible. The catch is that you may not use the automap. You must write your own maps by hand! The best and most complete maps earn their maker the title of champion of this challenge.

To prove that you have written said map, you must post a scan of said map here. Good luck, explorers, and may the best "cartographer" win!

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Revolutionary Challenge
The Money Challenge

Can't wait to start a Mordor XP challenge.

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 05:54 AM) *
I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Nov 6 2009, 08:24 PM
Post #2

Veteran

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

Some questions:
Is graph paper allowed?
When does the challenge end (since a champion will be crowned)?
Does dying prevent use of the character?

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Nov 6 2009, 09:25 PM
Post #3

Teacher

QUOTE (Danjen @ Nov 6 2009, 12:24 PM) *
Is graph paper allowed?

Yes. In fact, I encourage its use.

When does the challenge end (since a champion will be crowned)?

There will be no end to this challenge. There will simply be the "current" champion, and any/all participants are allowed to beat his/her score and take said title.

Does dying prevent use of the character?

No, but you must point out whether or not you died and, if so, how many times you died. This will allow me to gauge how careful you are in making your map. A complete, hand-written map of all of the dungeon sounds much more impressive if one has not ever died in the process, after all.

By the way, you must present your character in a manner similar to the one I posted in my previous challenge.

Name: Bob
Race: Human
Alignment: Neutral
Levels: 30 Nomad, 10 Warrior, 10 Healer, 10 thief
Died: Yes, two times
Stats: 18 Strength, 18 Intelligence, 18 Wisdom, 18 Constitution, 20 Charisma, 20 Dexterity
(insert map here)

This is basically a modified version of the layout I gave you in "The Money Challenge".
You are encouraged to give a story of how you achieved the things you did. In addition, you must draw up your map using the two-dimensional dungeon view. In other words, you may not use anything for navigating the dungeon other than the two-dimensional dungeon view and your own map that you have drawn.

Now, instead of your character so flawlessly augmenting the dungeon map, you must do so yourself! Have fun!

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post
Kingkirki_49
post Nov 7 2009, 12:14 AM
Post #4

Illusionist

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,203
referrer:Slimie's site

QUOTE (Crashland @ Nov 6 2009, 01:26 PM) *
It was when I read Danjen's "The Sage Challenge" that I received the inspiration to write up this challenge.

Basically, you must start with a new, solo character and try to explore as much of the dungeon as possible. The catch is that you may not use the automap. You must write your own maps by hand! The best and most complete maps earn their maker the title of champion of this challenge.

To prove that you have written said map, you must post a scan of said map here. Good luck, explorers, and may the best "cartographer" win!

Hey crashland, is it possible to give us an example of a hand drawn map? Just for the fun of showing what you have drawn so far? smile.gif Like using a scanner or something?

This post has been edited by Kingkirki_49: Nov 7 2009, 12:15 AM

--------------------
Ich kann 5% deutsch sprechen.

Visit my forums about dragon drawing and drawing in general today! You dont have to be able to draw to be a part of the fun!

(Please note: If it turns into a "Red X" from time to time I apologise. :( You may still click the x and it will take you to my site.)

When will we have the perfect computer? The following should answer the question.:
Myself answering this joke: At least if god has not branded computers as evil. There shall be no viruses or anything bad on heaven's pc's then and only then shall we have the perfect computer. lol

siggy last edited on 17/11/09 @ 8:19 PM

+Quote Post
barklight
post Nov 9 2009, 05:29 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

Member No.: 1,945
referrer:The old M2 Wiki :)

QUOTE (Kingkirki_49 @ Nov 7 2009, 12:14 AM) *
Hey crashland, is it possible to give us an example of a hand drawn map? Just for the fun of showing what you have drawn so far? smile.gif Like using a scanner or something?

You calling him out? hehehe!
Wish I could just scan some of my D&D maps but I'm afraid they don't match the layout tongue.gif

--------------------
The Rules (NEW RULES as of 9/13/2010)
Rule #003: There is no Gnomish god of heavy artillery.
Rule #092: The name of the weapon shop is not "Bloodbath and Beyond".
Rule #155: I am not allowed to rub any part of the elf chick for any reason.
Rule #472: When my cleric is told to "Buff the Elf", I know exactly what it means and may not misconstrue it in any way.
Rule #609: No deity will let me use my nipples as holy symbols.

+Quote Post
Malikat
post Nov 10 2009, 05:53 AM
Post #6

Soldier

Member No.: 12
referrer:Turned over an old leaf

Crashland, if you're willing to put a little more effort into this one, it could be a whole lot more interesting, for instance, custom create a map file for mordor where there is a teleporter to an unknown floor, an unknown position on the floor, and you have to map the level available. Maybe have a few versions, a "create a new character" template where it involves the first three floors, or "veteran entry" that puts you on the 5th-8th floors, and then a "master's challenge" that is based on the 13th 14th and 15th floors.
I think it would attract more interest then, because you would be mapping a truly new area, and it wouldn't quite be so obvious, and it would have an exact standard to judge by - screenshots of the map as you created it.
(it wouldn't be quite so obvious because everyone knows the beginning square of mordor 1, 9,11,01. The first teleporter could set you down anywhere on the map [though ideally it would be the same spot every time you teleported] adding a level of difficulty to mapmaking.)

--------------------
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and Mordor always returns.
It's in your blood, son.

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Nov 10 2009, 01:11 PM
Post #7

Veteran

QUOTE (Malikat @ Nov 10 2009, 12:53 AM) *
Crashland, if you're willing to put a little more effort into this one, it could be a whole lot more interesting, for instance, custom create a map file for mordor where there is a teleporter to an unknown floor, an unknown position on the floor, and you have to map the level available. Maybe have a few versions, a "create a new character" template where it involves the first three floors, or "veteran entry" that puts you on the 5th-8th floors, and then a "master's challenge" that is based on the 13th 14th and 15th floors.
I think it would attract more interest then, because you would be mapping a truly new area, and it wouldn't quite be so obvious, and it would have an exact standard to judge by - screenshots of the map as you created it.
(it wouldn't be quite so obvious because everyone knows the beginning square of mordor 1, 9,11,01. The first teleporter could set you down anywhere on the map [though ideally it would be the same spot every time you teleported] adding a level of difficulty to mapmaking.)
I quite like the idea of using mods in addition to challenges.

Also, you could create a teleporter to a random position on a floor by going from a teleporter on the first floor, and going directly into one on the target floor, which is randomized.

+Quote Post
Malikat
post Nov 10 2009, 09:29 PM
Post #8

Soldier

Member No.: 12
referrer:Turned over an old leaf

QUOTE (Danjen @ Nov 10 2009, 08:11 AM) *
I quite like the idea of using mods in addition to challenges.

Also, you could create a teleporter to a random position on a floor by going from a teleporter on the first floor, and going directly into one on the target floor, which is randomized.

Except that I don't think that crashland intends for us to use the coordinates given by the game, so if you have to reenter that floor, it would be incredibly difficult to see where your maps line up.
Directional indicators are okay maybe? Seeing as how no explorer would go in without a compass...

--------------------
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and Mordor always returns.
It's in your blood, son.

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Nov 10 2009, 09:56 PM
Post #9

Veteran

Just make a Seeker then. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Nov 11 2009, 08:20 AM
Post #10

Teacher

QUOTE (Malikat @ Nov 10 2009, 01:29 PM) *
Directional indicators are okay maybe? Seeing as how no explorer would go in without a compass...

Yes, directional indicators are fine. If you have not used them, you may point that out, though.

--------------------

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th October 2019 - 10:25 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits